5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Retina Display, March 29, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPad MD371LL/A (64GB, Wi-Fi + AT&T 4G, White) 3rd Generation (Personal Computers)
I had the original iPad for a couple of months back in 2010 and really liked to browse the web on it. When I heard the new one is coming out, I preordered the white ATT 64GB from Apple website. I received it on the launch day two weeks ago, and I am really enjoying the new Retina display ever since. It is such an improvement over the first iPad, and I really enjoy reading different things on it.

Color Choice:

My original iPad was black, but this time against all the online suggestions, I went for the white version. My reasoning was, if you really want to read something--either web or text--having black borders only makes your eyes hurt even more. Printed books do not have black borders, and yet they are the easiest to read. I am happy to report that my intuition was right, and the white version is easier on my eyes for reading purposes. Maybe it is not the best for playing video games or watching movies, but the white border actually helps the reading. In addition, it is not completely white and has a beautiful pinkish hue that looks like pearl from some angles.

Connectivity and Speed:

I could connect to both of my router 2 GHz and 5 GHz channels via Wi-Fi. Out of curiosity, I inserted my modified T-Mobile SIM card into the GSM spot, and it did pick T-Mobile internet but worked only on 2G (Edge) mode. It works very well with Apple TV 3, and I was able to duplicate the iPad screen with my 40" LCD. However, the screen aspect ratio was only 4/3 and not 16/9.

This new iPad is much faster than my original iPad. I can even browse the web much faster on this version let alone other programs and games. I ordered the Camera Connection Kit alongside this iPad, and it can import and read my 24MP pictures from Sony A77 without any problems.

Cameras:

My original iPad didn't have any camera, so it is so much fun to use FaceTime and the back camera. Both of them are quality cameras, although I don't see much use of the backside camera. I have my iPhone for that application. Maybe if you want to shoot movies and edit on the iPad itself, it is worth to have a good quality rear camera.

Problems:

I use international keyboards sometimes to enter foreign characters into the search, and I encountered several crashes when changing keyboard in Safari. One time I was writing a paragraph in Notes app, and suddenly the app crashed because I accidentally clicked on international icon. The problem was, I lost all the text I typed. I think the new iOS needs some minor bug fixes.

Verdict:

It is the best tablet I've ever used. It is fast and responsive, light, and it has an excellent LCD which is easy on your eyes. Does it worth the price? It depends. Like any other Apple products, this is made from high quality materials, and it is stylish. Paying the price is hard, but once you start using it, all the fun begins. Hope you could find valuable information in my mini review.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]