5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Play BioShock 1 or 2, March 29, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: BioShock Infinite - PC (DVD-ROM)
The game struck me as entertaining, beautiful, and intense at moments. I absolutely love the storyline and have fallen in love with Elizabeth's character. It's true about what the others are saying about its length, but to be honest, it really completes the story within a reasonable amount of time. Story, story, story. I don't want a story to drag on longer than it has to but I was sad that it ended abruptly. But that happens sometimes, with a good movie or a miniseries, and you're just left in awe, about the experience you had just had with the movie/game/show. The visuals, the characters, the plot, will have a lasting impression on me. I love a good story and am glad to have played this game.

I think this game deserves all the 5 star ratings it has received. When people say, "It isn't worth $60," I think, look at all the time and effort the creators of this game have put into the details, the lovely animation, the character complexities, etc. This outweighs any minor aspects of the game, to me at least. Sure, I only ended up using Bronco, Jock, and Devil's fire thing, and the Carbine, Machine, and Hand Canon, but those are just aesthetics. The story, again, and characters, and the revelation of the game touched my heart. Cheese, I know, but it impelled me to write a review. My first review, in fact.

5/5. Played on Hard, 13 hours, exploring every corner of the game. I really wanted to experience everything it had to offer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2013 10:48:11 PM PDT
Mino Guy says:
I really appreciate you saying it's gameplay time doesn't really matter. 10-13 hours is a solid amount of time for a single player campaign, and the game is filled with SO MUCH DEPTH. It doesn't need to be HUGE--the game doesn't overstay its welcome. Every location you go to is so interactive. The choices you make may not matter much in the end, but the game has a way of saying, "this isn't what the game is about!" They're just options for things you could choose or not choose to do, but they're not supposed to make up the bulk of the game, as is in a game like Mass Effect 2.

But back to what I was saying--the amount of effort the devs put into this game shows EVERYWHERE. I mean, they spent about five years making this game (two and a half years in secret before it was first revealed). Elizabeth is the greatest companion character I have ever seen in any video game ever (her character may be matched by some others, but the mechanics around her in the gameplay are really amazing). The story...damn. It's just not easy to explain how simply fantastic the story is in this game. They spent SO much time making this game, and the way I see it, it damn well payed off.

Oh, and to whoever says that the ending is disappointing and doesn't make sense, it does. It's a thinking game--it makes you keep looking deeper until you see the answers. I understand the ending completely, though it took me over a half hour to process. And it makes EVERYTHING in the game make sense too. It's one of the most perfect and well put together endings to a video game I've ever seen...

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 4:31:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2013 4:31:28 PM PDT
S. Dozier says:
Agree about the game, great review!

Go play Bioshock 1 (and 2 if you want but realize it's by a different group than 1 or Infinite).

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 8:45:52 AM PDT
Eva M. says:
What did you enjoy most about the story?

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 5:51:54 AM PDT
I finished the game in 10 hours.
Before buying it I was hesitated, but while playing it it just amazed me, LOVED IT.

Now it's 19.99$ it really worth looking at.

Thnx for the review ^_^

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 7:40:24 AM PDT
Matthew says:
I love how you say the core of the game is "just aesthetics." I think a game should have a good story and good characters...but if the game play is boring and repetitive...then it's not a great game. It's a good interactive movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2013 3:25:09 AM PDT
Marcus says:
I understood the ending the first time I beat it, but I caught far more storyline details as I played through a second and third time.

:P

The ending...BLEW MY MIND...

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 9:15:15 AM PDT
bioshock 1 is amazing!

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 12:37:02 PM PST
John says:
This game like most games these days was way overhyped with five star reviews within hours of the game going on sale. I loved the original Bio shock and also liked the sequel very much, so I was happy to hear that a third installment was in the works. But the over the top reviews of brand new games has made me wary and some of the reviews made me wonder about this game to the point that I decided to wait until it was available for less than $20 before buying it and I am certainly glad that I did. By now most people have read enough reviews to get a feel for the game but let me put a different prospective on this. If the original game was the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, than this installment is the Hobbit, a lot of irritating fluff passing itself off as a game.

Someone else has compared this to Call of Duty and I think that that is an apt description also. Gone is the feeling of dread before attacking a Big Daddy in the original to obtain Adam to purchase Plasmids so necessary for survival. Now Vigors and enhancements are available for purchase from a vending machine removing this key game element. Gone also is the well done feel as plasmids increased in power on each enhancement and so did the Big Daddies. Combat is more call of duty and at times way to easy. While there are plenty of weapons available they seemed fairly boring and repetitive to me, where is the crossbow with its various iterations from the original? Unfortunately not to be found in this game.

I became quickly bored with the lack of variety in game play and the concept of collecting coins, tedious at best. A lot of reviews mention the fun in walking around the sets, but after the initial look and thinking that's kind of cool, it does not take long to realize that there is really nothing behind the backdrop and its all fake. Bio-Shock Infinite continues the trend that I am seeing in game play with designers seeming to believe that advances in graphics make up for lack of game play. As I played through this game I increasingly found myself less and less interested in finishing it.

The bottom line is that this game is worth playing through if you can pick it up for a couple of bucks, but it in no way lives up to the first or even the second installment of the game. Its unfortunate that as soon as a game hits the shelves we are being hit with so many over the top reviews which I am guessing are either paid or have some financial stake in the game's success. Consumer reviews are a good idea, but unfortunately game reviews can't seem to be trusted and its best to wait not only for the games price to come down but to get a truer prospective on the game, so you don't end up paying $60 for a game like this.

Comment Comment | Permalink
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (736 customer reviews)

$39.99 $11.27