Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer for the Price, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I own the previous model of this laptop. Acer upgraded the new model from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The only other difference between the two models is that Acer swapped out the second generation sandy bridge i5 processor for the the new third gen ivy bridge i5 processor. The new i5 3210m processor has a slight performance increase of 5 percent, better graphics performance, and should get slightly better battery life as compared to the old 2450m.

With that said, here is my review for the previous model. Everything else I said will still apply.

It took nine days from the time I ordered the laptop until it was delivered.

Several components of this laptop can be upgraded/tweaked to increase the overall performance of the laptop. The Nvidia graphic interface can be adjusted in Windows to a high performance mode which will override the Intel graphics. The Nvidia 630m gives a noticeable performance boost. The Nvidia GPU puts a serious drain on the battery if you aren't plugged in to the wall. Make sure to check that your Nvidia graphics card is updated with the newest drivers that are available.

I also installed 4GB of additional DDR3 RAM in the empty slot. I went with the 20$ budget RAM that Amazon suggested as an accessory. And finally, I spent a few hours cloning the 5400rpm hard drive onto a new Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD. It was my first time cloning a drive and it turned into a huge headache, but I learned a lot. I'm seeing read speeds of 480 MB/S on the new SSD. After I got windows up and running on the SSD, I went through and uninstalled all of the bloatware that Acer pre-installs and cleaned up the junk programs running in memory.

After upgrades, this budget laptop is almost exactly on par for performance with the most expensive version of the new Macbook Pro with the Ivy Bridge i7 processor that costs over twice as much. With the upgrades, my laptop boots up in less than ten seconds. After upgrades, your Windows experience index should be around a 7. According to Windows, "A computer with a base score of 6.0 or 7.0 has a faster hard disk, and can support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3‑D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content."

I'm very impressed with the performance so far. As a test, I simultaneously ran a dozen windows in Google Chrome, an HD movie, BitTorrent, Warcraft 3, Photoshop, and Microsoft Word. The processor gadget in Windows showed that the processor was running at only 4 percent. It handles every game I've tested on high or medium/high settings. So far I've played Call of Duty Black Ops, Grand Theft Auto 4, Fallout 3, Warcraft, Skyrim and Borderlands. It also handles video editing 1080p HD movies without any lag.

Price/performance for this laptop is insanely good
Intel i5 processor easily handles multitasking
Open slot for additional DDR3 memory
easily accessible hard drive bay
Photoshop CS6 opens in 2 seconds (after SSD upgrade)
Ridiculously fast 10 second Windows boot time (after SSD upgrade)
instantaneous wake from hibernation state
Nvidia Graphics card can run demanding video games at high/medium detail
4 hour battery life
DVD drive is handy (a lot of manufacturer's are phasing them out, especially in the ultrabooks)
Wireless internet worked perfectly right out of the box (because I hate downloading drivers)

As described by other users, the black plastic outer shell on this laptop definitely shows off finger prints.
A bit heavier than it looks, but definitely reasonable
built-in speakers are not that great (they never are)
Microsoft Office 'starter' only includes Word and Excel

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 6:34:32 PM PST
good to hear this computer can do some good as I just got mine... I mainly got it to do some video editing but I was kinda bummed this was windows 8. What editor did you use to edit 1080 video in when you tried, and is that program any good. I usually use Adobe Premiere, but I installed it and I'm not having much luck with that. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:28:23 PM PST
John F says:
I use a version of Cyberlink Power Director 10 that I downloaded from Pirate Bay. Its pretty easy to use if you're already familiar with other video editing software. For the most part, I figured it out in less than an hour. If you run into any problems editing, you can always go to Youtube and watch a video tutorial.

One major thing though:

You have to go into the Nvidia control panel and make sure that Power Director is configured to run with Intel HD integrated graphics and not the Nvidia card because Power Director isnt compatible with the Nvidia card. Power Director is the only program that Ive run into that wont work with Nvidia.

You can configure Windows 8 to look/run like Windows 7. The first thing I did on my friends new computer was add back the start button and then disable the annoying touch-pad gestures.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 12:45:16 PM PST
thanks for replying so fast! I was thinking I would never get any advice and was bumming when I woke up this morning haha. I actually did get the power director last night and was using it but I didn't change the graphics as you said. I wonder if that would make a diff in my render quality when I do videos. I'm filming with a canon t2i if that makes a diff too. I heard that adobe cs6 was suppose to work with windows 8 and I did dload that off the piratebay too. It worked and opened up, but when I drag import video into it and put it on the timeline, im not getting any video playback at all, just sound. You think I would have to change the graphics thing with that also.

PS, thanks for the help and sorry to hit you with so many questions. I just seen you had the same laptop and did some upgrade to it, and I myself is a comp nerd and was thinking about making the same upgrades you did as well. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:30:28 PM PST
John F says:
You can't see the video because power director is trying to use the nvidia card. Just switch the setting to Intel graphics in the nvidia control panel and you'll be able to see the video.

Close power director first
Go to nvidia control panel
under manage 3d settings select power director 10
change to "integrated graphics"

Now re- open power director and your video and sound should work

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:09:45 PM PST
Noo, I meant I couldn't see the video in adobe premiere, but I actually fixed that problem today. Power Director worked fine when I needed it, but I got premeire cs6 up and running on this laptop this afternoon :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:06:38 PM PST
Howard L. says:
What kind of RAM card did you install on it? I am thinking about getting this and install 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800 timed at 9-9-9-24. Do you think it will work with this notebook?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:48:51 PM PST
John F says:
I don't really see the need to buy a matched pair of RAM when you already have 4GB in the laptop. Just buy one stick of The Kingston value Ram for 19$.
Kingston ValueRam 4GB PC3-10600 CL9 204-Pin SODIMM Notebook Memory KVR1333D3S9/4G

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:10:37 PM PST
Howard L. says:
That didn't really answer my question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:08:34 PM PST
Is there any special updates or anything that I could do to this computer while its stock to have it run faster? My adobes running now but I was just curious to how I should set my Nvidia graphics card n stuff, and if theres any drivers or anything new I can do?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:48:30 PM PST