5.0 out of 5 stars If a better TV series has been created, I politely demand you to tell me what it is, July 18, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
If a better TV series has been created, I politely demand you to tell me what it is.

I have never been so riveted by a TV series. I have never found a TV series so hilarious. And I have never found a TV series so moving.

I suspect that in order for Community to have a similar type of effect on you, you must meet at least two criteria: (1) be between 20 and 35 years old, and (2) give your full attention to every nano-second of the show.

Re: (2): There is so much substance packed into every nano-second of the show that it demands your full attention to notice the subtleties and to understand exactly what the show's writers are trying to get at. You'll probably need/want to watch some episodes several times.

Re: (1): The first time I saw the show was at my parents' house, and while I was literally - not figuratively - screaming like an injured lemur with laughter, my Boomer parents barely managed a polite smile. The generational divide was never so apparent.

The show speaks directly to my generation, and not just to amuse us, but to tell us things we urgently need to hear. E.g.:

* "Britta's attracted to men in emotional pain. It helps her think that she's emotionally healthy."
* "Jeff, you're a normal person. There's nothing very special about you at all. You're going to be great at a few things but really crappy at many more."
* "While claiming to have no religion, you're actually devoutly worshipping yourself."
* "We need more respect and less passion."
* "TV makes sense. It has structure, logic, rules, and likeable leading men. In life we have this. We have you."

And there's so much more that isn't easily pick-up-able from little lines of dialogue. The general message of the show is (crudely) wake up, grow up, what's important is right in front of you.

God bless Dan Harmon. May he make many more TV shows.

---

Regarding Season 3 in particular, I think "Virtual Systems Analysis" might be the best show of the whole series. At least top 3. "Urban Matrimony and the Sandwich Arts" and "Digital Exploration of Interior Design" are also favorites.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2012 5:30:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 5:38:22 AM PDT
Reference 54 says:
I'm 42, and I think it's the funniest show on television. The problem seems to be, that so many people who are closer to 20 than 40 don't feel the same. This show requires an appreciation for "substance" and clever wit, and unfortunately most of the twenty-somethings are more interested in a less sophisticated style of humor (I said "most", not all). This is why the show has basically been cancelled. It's coming back for a shortened fourth season, but it's lifespan looks dismal. So sad, because it's the funniest show on the air. The Emmy's were announced yesterday, and COMMUNITY was noticeably snubbed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 1:45:42 PM PDT
I'd be interested to see the age splits. I agree with you that most 20-somethings prefer their television on the less substantive side, but I'd still bet that a disproportionate number of viewers between 20 and 35 make up the Community audience, just because most of the topics/issues/points/cultural references seem especially relevant to our age group.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 1:21:17 AM PDT
A. Holliday says:
The audience this show really needs is the previous generation, but when they were between 20-35 - simply because so many 20 somethings now don't have the attention span to pick up everything that's in this gem of a series. Of course without Dan Harmon it will probably fall in heap anyway. Pity.

P.S. I'm biased of course - being 40 something myself and I love this show - as does my wife who claims to have been in a study group just like this one 20 years ago. I met her then and I'm a bit worried about who I'm the closest to, although I have my suspicions!!

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 3:51:39 PM PDT
Fay says:
My husband and I love "Community". We're both 65 years old & have no trouble following the references to real life things. My mother is 85 and she also loves "Community". She might miss a few things, but she loves the characters and never misses an episode. While it might seem to a young person that the show is aimed only at 20-to-35 year olds, I have seen quotes from Dan Harmon saying that he always made the show "something his mother would like".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 2:48:10 PM PDT
Reference 54 says:
And of course Harmon was older than 35, when the show began airing. Not to mention that Joel McHale, the show's lead, is in his 40s.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2013 8:51:43 AM PDT
While I appreciate the original poster feeling the show talks to him and his own, I'm in the camp that says it transcends generations. I'm 58 and it's hands down my favorite current show - and I'm not saying that in a 'Pierce Hawthorne desperate to stay relevant' way!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (249 customer reviews)

$35.99 $14.99