4.0 out of 5 stars Salas and Klotz detail the sobering facts of UFO interference with US nuclear weapons, May 5, 2010
This review is from: Faded Giant (Paperback)
Robert Salas is a graduate of the USAF Academy and holds a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering. In March 1967 he was working night shift as DMCCC (Missile Launch Officer in charge) at Malmstrom AFB in Montana with responsibility for a battery of nuclear-armed Minuteman Missiles. Deep underground in the "capsule", he received repeated alarm reports from base guard personnel at ground level of a large, red-glowing disk-shaped craft hovering over the base. A disturbing series of events then began to unfold. The UFO hovered over each silo and, one at a time, the triple-redundant systems controlling each missile were systematically shut down until the entire battery was off-line. The UFO then departed, and it took technical crews most of the following day to get the missiles back online which had to be done, manually, one at a time since the systems had been damaged by the UFO's action.

This blatantly intentional action of shutting down nuclear missiles by the intelligences guiding UFOs is far from unique to the Malmstron case - for a comprehensive and absolutely first-class overview of the long history of such cases, read Robert Hastings' book "UFOs and Nukes." In the Malmstron case, as in others, the USAF ensured the witnesses were effectively silenced and there was a news media blackout. Only in 2005, now retired, did Salas finally speak out in public and write this excellent, if short, book with James Klotz.

In "Faded Giant" Salas and Klotz tell the full story of the 1967 Malmstrom Incident, and put the event in context with accounts of similar UFO/military interactions, some involving nuclear missiles (the "Big Sur" incident for example). Chapter four is an intelligent discourse on the pros and cons of government "Disclosure" of the ET issue, presenting arguments for both sides: to disclose, or to keep secret. The issue of "National Security" as justification for continued secrecy is examined impartially and in thoughtful detail.

Almost two thirds of "Faded Giant" consists of detailed appendices covering the design and layout of missile bases and the control capsule, diagrams and photographs, and many pages of declassified documents in support of the main narrative.

Robert Salas is, perhaps partly as a result of having witnessed at first hand the serious interest ETs take in our nuclear missiles, in favour of complete nuclear disarmament. I was honoured to meet with Robert and his wife in 2008 and found him to be a highly intelligent deep-thinker, a man of obvious integrity and principle with a disarming warmth and humility. He is great company, and after a long successful career in the aerospace industry has studied the whole UFO subject in some depth and is now widely read on the general subject.

Salas has appeared many times on TV discussions about the UFO/nukes relationship and has been a guest on CNN's Larry King show. Together with Robert Hastings, he is planning a press conference at the National Press Club in Washington DC in September 2010 to bring the issue to more widespread public attention.

This book is short but definitely worth reading. Its factual and non-speculative tone makes the explosive content difficult to deal with by the debunker so, as usual, they will probably ignore or evade it. Four star rating, missing out on five stars due only to the book's unusual brevity and definitely not its content, which is first class.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2011 2:57:25 AM PST
Mr. Natural says:
Thanks for this very helpful review! The Sep '10 press conference you referenced was the first I've heard of this nuke/UFO connection. Strangely enough, I also was a Minuteman Deputy Combat Crew Commander in the sixties. I was at Whiteman AFB in Missouri and pulled duty "in the hole" about twice/week for only 1.5 years or so before being switched to an engineering group (TEAB) on the same base. I was very lucky to have been selected to go to Vandenberg AFB in the summer of 1964 for a test launch. My commander and I actually turned the keys for two Minuteman launches and got to watch a third launch from up close. Exciting times! But during my five years in the Air Force (left in early 1968), I never heard a peep about UFOs. There were stories about incidents and such on Minuteman bases (and we had some of our own: fire, lighting-caused launch alarm, missile site security alarms, etc.), but UFOs never came up - it just wasn't in the grapevine at all. I'd have loved to have been privy to anything UFO since it had been my first interest in high school reading (sci-fi). Sorry I missed it. So now, after scouring the descriptions and comments of this book and some others, I'm getting not only "Faded Giant," but also the Hastings book and the Kean book. Can't wait to read them!

Interesting that Mr. Salas now believes in nuclear disarmament. If I had his UFO contact experience, however, unless I had actually met the ETs and was somehow convinced they were friendly, I certainly wouldn't have been interested in de-nuking our military. I was shocked enough when we destroyed 60% of our Minuteman capability and most of our sub nukes too. Unless ET is going to protect us from our enemies, what are we going to throw at them when the nukes head our way? I think complete nuclear disarmament will be the final straw that breaks America's back. Hopefully we'll find a way to prevent it before it's too late.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 11:44:01 AM PST
The Guardian says:
Thanks for your comment Mr. Natural, and your memories of service at missile bases in the 1960s.

Robert Hastings' "UFOs and Nukes" and Leslie Kean's "Generals, Pilots and Government Officials go on the Record" are two of the very best works on this subject due to the degree of investigative rigor exhibited and high standard of evidence presented in each case by the author.

Have you contacted Robert Salas or Robert Hastings? Many of your former colleagues have contacted Robert Hastings over the years about their experiences with UFO intrusions over nuclear weapons bases; you might even have known some of these people whilst in the service.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 6:22:14 AM PST
AKN says:
I am sure we can defend our country without launching massive nuclear weapons of such great destructive power that no living thing will be left on the planet. I agree that we need to do whatever it takes to defend ourselves but I don't believe total planetary annilation is the answer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

$17.99 $15.27