Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., April 17, 2012
This review is from: Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DM001) (Personal Computers)
I've dealt almost exclusively with WD for the last 10 years....I had a string of bad luck with Seagate before that, and had sworn off of them. Well, times have changed, and I'm willing to see if Seagate has improved over the years. Post-flood WD seems to be sticking to the absurd prices after other makers are slowly going back down to reasonable prices. And I have to say price played a BIG part in these recent purchases...I REFUSE to pay more for a WD GREEN drive than I did for a Black drive twice the size a year ago...I just refuse.
In a non-raid environment, this 2TB drive seems to be snappy, worked out of the box, and has had no errors...so far so good. Just ordered 2 of the 3TB variety on the strength of this one.

I've been seeing A LOT of neg reviews lately for ALL manufactures in ALL price ranges, it's my belief that the many DOAs have more to do with how the drives are handled in transit, than quality control. I've SEEN the way carriers toss the packages around to get to others, and have even seen them STAND on packages....no bubble wrap is going to compensate for that kind of abuse. Still other complaints I've seen have more to do with ignorance than anything...who in their right mind expects to drop a 2TB-3TB drive in a 10 year old machine and expect it to work out of the box, without using the manufactureres tool? Or expects lightning speeds when a SATA 6GB drive is plugged into a SATA 1.5GB port? And if I read one more review where a clueless person can't understand why a 3 TB reports as less than 3TB in Windows...I'll scream!

I think it stinks that warrantys have been cut, and there is still the question in my mind if post-flood drives are being rushed out to meet demand before factorys are up-to-snuff, or if all that fresh new equipment means a better product....guess we'll see.
From a one week perspective, I have no complaints with this drive. In the weeks to come, if I DO....I'll let ya know.

Update : 4-17-15
So far all Seagate Drives purchased (Currently 6: 2 - 2TB , 4 - 3TB ) all working flawlessly. Two of the 3 TB drives are 2 wks old, all others 3 yrs old. My rating sticks at 5 stars.
Putting to rest my last WD drive....popping bad sectors right and left, and it's a replacement of a replacement drive that has exhausted the original drives warranty. Have to say, speed and reliability has put Seagate in the #1 position as my drive of choice. WD drives were sluggish in comparison, and the 5yr warranty on the PREMIUM PRICED Black drive is not worth much if you are having TO USE IT FREQUENTLY THE WHOLE 5 YRS.

GRIPE: The last 2 - 3TB drives I just bought, only carry a 1 yr warranty (the first 2, same model carried 2yrs) . Been in this game long enough to know you can get a lemon with ANY brand... so a 1 yr warranty is just too darn short for any price. Not sure I like the trend of making mechanical hard drives "disposable" via short warranties, or charging extra for same specs....but longer warranty....especially when all you get with that warranty is a recertified drive that is warrantied for only the remainder of time left on original drive.

Waiting for the day when SSD's become as large and affordable as mechanical drives.... in 5 yrs of SSD use, I've yet to have one single error (much less failure) on a SSD drive.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2012 6:29:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 6:30:28 AM PDT
Huzdabu says:
This statement right off of the product description page would lead many customers to think that they should expect to use the 3TB model in their XP boxes: "Free Seagate DiscWizard software allows you to install a 3TB hard drive in Windows, including XP, without UEFI BIOS." I realize that your review is for the 2TB model, but you did bring up the issue of customers posting negative reviews based on the expectation that the 3TB model would work in their Windows machines and being frustrated that they are seeing reports of less than 3TB. Perhaps this choice of marketing syntax may be inflating some customer expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:48:42 AM PDT
Skullywag says:
Read my review carefully. "who in their right mind expects to drop a 2TB-3TB drive in a 10 year old machine and expect it to work out of the box, without using the manufactureres tool?" One must use a tool to get an older machine to use the full 3TB. I have seen complaints where the user obviosly DID NOT use DiskWizard, and wondered why they could not use the full amount. Again, this is ignorance on the buyers part, and not a defect of the drive worthy of a low rating.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:06:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 7:08:28 AM PDT
P. Carmona says:
Hello! thanks for the review. I own one of these drives and i have a question to ask you. Do you know if your drive 'chirps'? or is it just mine? i don't know if the drive is faulty or its normal. however i ran seatools for windows and it fails at the Short DST test, which my other 2TB drive from WD passes just fine. Also my drive has the CC9C firmware which im trying to update to the CC9D to see if it fixes this 'chirping' but it doesnt work in my current rig since i keep getting a 'failure' message, im trying to get a moment to go to a friends house and try to update it there. If your drive doesnt chirp can you tell me your firmware version? Please help. i'd really apreciate it. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 4:02:09 PM PDT
No "chirps" here.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 10:31:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 5:35:12 PM PDT
You do know it's not an XP thing. It's a 32bit vs 64bit thing. Works fine on my 64bit XP.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 10:40:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 10:43:05 AM PDT
Val says:
As a side note, 64-bit XP is based on Windows Server 2003 codebase and has a little to do with the 32-bit XP, except UI.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 1:09:35 AM PST
Could you provide an update on your experience almost a year later (now)? Would really like to move from my 1.5TB drives to 3TB drives. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 6:43:49 AM PST
Not much of an issue. It's running fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 4:06:18 PM PST
Awesome. Thanks for the update. I've been running two 1.5TB WD-Blacks for the last year or so. They work wonderfully, but I have a new project that may not allow me to plug up six drives to make up for the space I consume. Thus, my inquiry. Thanks for the reply!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 9:08:13 PM PST
Skullywag says:
One year later, drive still in use and kicking. Also have 2 of the 3TB drives bought around the same time, still in use. So far, so good.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›