Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

1,209 of 1,298 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Some Disassembly Required, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Belkin F8Z492ttP Bluetooth Music Receiver (Electronics)
THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO F8Z492 A2DP RECEIVER, NOT BELKIN'S NEW HD BT RECEIVER.

This device has great audio quality and terrible range (not what is claimed), but if you've already bought it you're in luck! There is a quick modification that can restore this device to the advertised range.

Modification Instructions (you'll need a small flat head screwdriver and a hot glue gun):
Pop the top off of it with the screwdriver starting at the ports.
Pull out the circuit board and you'll see a large piece of metal. This metal is entirely unnecessary and serves only to satisfy customers who innately feel that heavier is more valuable.
The piece of metal is held in place with double sided tape, so just pop it out.
Put the circuit board back in place (it should sort of snap in).
Put hot glue around the edge of the enclosure and put the top back in place.
Now this device conforms to all the specifications that Belkin specifies.

I hope this helps everyone out! Belkin's support department has chosen to ignore my inquiries.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 136 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 8:34:41 AM PDT
Colton22 says:
Thank you. I do think this is the one I would like to purchase. You have helped me a lot, I do appreciate that Jeff. Have a great day!

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 6:44:12 PM PDT
Nate says:
This mod helped me as well. At 15 feet, in line-of-sight, audio would drop out, skip and stutter when I walked anywhere in between my laptop and the receiver.

After removing the weight (only cutting myself once) not only did the reception issues disappear, but latency has gone from around a second to a third of a second. Audio sounds better as well, however I assume that's a placebo.

Be warned: once you open the case, the board is a bit loose, no matter how tightly the case is sealed. Also, while other customers have easily removed the top, mine was quite dificcult to remove. It appears Belkin has noticed these reviews, and decided to do the exact opposite. Too bad, because I'm very satisfied with it, now that it's modded.

I would definitely pick up another one strictly to tear down and place inside of a ghetto blaster, or possibly the antique tractor radio sitting a couple states over at my parents' house.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 3:39:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 4, 2011 8:53:36 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:41:41 PM PDT
FrontRowJoe says:
The top on mine came off quite easily with minimal effort. Just make sure you start from the back (near the plugs) and work your way forward. The logic board is a bit loose once the weight is removed, but I just added a small wad of bundled up electrical tape (non-conductive) underneath it and it's nice and stable now. Range went from about 10 feet (with line of sight only) to 30+ feet. Worked through the bedroom walls. No "digitized" sound at all. I now use it to teach in my classroom (K-5 music) to control my music from anywhere in the room. I'm no longer tethered to my stereo! The device went from "good" to "outstanding!" with about 3 minutes work. Great suggestion, R. Moore!

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 8:41:17 AM PDT
Angel_Pen says:
Playing the devil's advocate: I hope this hack is not some sort of clever scheme to get people to order a lousy device and then brake it open to destroy any chance of returning it. Besides, shouldn't we wait until Belkin fixes the problem themselves?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 8:50:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2011 8:53:24 AM PDT
W. Moore says:
I've had words with Belkin over this already. They acknowledged the problem and sent my feedback to their engineering department, but despite asking for updates several times on the resolution of this issue, I've not heard anything back. They don't seem to care so much.

If you need proof that this isn't just me trolling random Amazon users, look at all the other reviews. I have now purchased 3 of these and modified all of them. I'm even considering purchasing a 4th for convenience.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 1:38:46 PM PDT
Jeff P. says:

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 8:05:13 AM PDT
H. Pilgrim says:
After removing the metal plate, I also experienced greatter range, and less signal dropping or audio chopping.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 7:36:14 PM PDT
abc123 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 6:59:48 AM PDT
W. Moore says:
I don't think I can really apply for a patent in this case. Belkin's engineers created a fine product (the circuit board), but it was Belkin's marketing and product management that messed things up trying to give the device a certain "feel".

Review Details