1,203 of 1,292 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Some Disassembly Required, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Belkin F8Z492ttP Bluetooth Music Receiver (Electronics)
THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO F8Z492 A2DP RECEIVER, NOT BELKIN'S NEW HD BT RECEIVER.

This device has great audio quality and terrible range (not what is claimed), but if you've already bought it you're in luck! There is a quick modification that can restore this device to the advertised range.

Modification Instructions (you'll need a small flat head screwdriver and a hot glue gun):
Pop the top off of it with the screwdriver starting at the ports.
Pull out the circuit board and you'll see a large piece of metal. This metal is entirely unnecessary and serves only to satisfy customers who innately feel that heavier is more valuable.
The piece of metal is held in place with double sided tape, so just pop it out.
Put the circuit board back in place (it should sort of snap in).
Put hot glue around the edge of the enclosure and put the top back in place.
Now this device conforms to all the specifications that Belkin specifies.

I hope this helps everyone out! Belkin's support department has chosen to ignore my inquiries.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 81-90 of 136 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:17:03 PM PST
rlgdtime says:
Worked like a charm after removing the weight Signal is rock solid from 35 feet with direct line of sight.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:13:07 AM PST
cable enemy says:
some previous posts were talking about some reverb/chorus noise, which one could stop by pluggin in deeper the 3.5 jack. i tried this several times and also changed the cable cause this effect was drivin me crazy. as a musician i am sentisized on sound. but this didn't help at all. must be the quality of the item. may be this has to do with bandwidth or so.
has anyone the same experience?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:21:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:21:34 PM PST
White Lotus says:
R Moore, you say you have purchased 3 of these. Can you comment on how to use all 3? I own two of the Logitech models and I'm assuming this Belkin works in similar fashion. For my Logitech models, they both show up as different model numbers but they do show up as Logitech Bluetooth Adapters. Both of my bluetooth adapters can pair with my iPod Touch at the same time, but I cannot get both adapters to play music at the same time. Have you tried this with your adapters?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:48:11 AM PST
W. Moore says:
I use them in different places (home, work, workshop). There is not currently an easy way to broadcast to multiple A2DP devices from any mobile OS. In iOS and WP* it's not possible at all and in Android, you'd have to do some heavy-handed modification to the audio routing services, tweak the settings interface, and tweak the interface to the bluetooth stack. Given proper incentive and the right technical knowledge, you could probably hack this out in a weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:50:36 AM PST
W. Moore says:
This is definitely not a professional quality device and given the price, I would not expect studio quality sound from it. IIRC, A2DP uses a lossy codec for transport, but I don't quite remember what that is.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:31:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 12:08:50 PM PST
J. Girado says:
Thanks Moore!

I bought and paired it with with my Nexus One phone and had the same problem, the receiver struggled streaming audio when my phone was at more than 3mts.

I followed your guidance and removed the metal thingy and now the range improved. I still have problem (signal drop or complete silence) with line of sight is around or more than 10 mts but I know my Nexus One has some antenna issues (I replaced the screen myself and ever since then the poor Nexus One isn't the same).

Other thing, the sound is very good! Using my Harman Kardon Sound Sticks II 2.1 as speakers the audio quality is better through bluetooth than connecting the speakers directly to the phone. Go figure. The Nexus One must have a lousy amplifier because usually is the other way around. I use Pandora to listen music.

Anyway, thanks again!

12/17/12
I notice that the device adds around 1sec. delay to the sound so it's not very good to watch videos/movies. I have to switch back to my laptop' speakers.

01/12/13
I upgraded my phone to a Nexus 4, now the range using this combination (Nexus 4 + Belkin Belkin F8Z492TTP) is amazing! I can go down the kitchen (more than 10 mts) and still stream music!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:46:22 PM PST
Glenn says:
Thanks this really worked for me and it is not to hard to pry aprt, it does really improve the reception

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:50:34 AM PST
Roberto says:
Thanks a lot ! when i bought this it was kind of no use because of the limited range and some randon noise interference. now the range it good enough to plug in my stereo on my shelf and pair it with my laptop and my phone.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:51:32 PM PST
OK, we have two choices: either designers at Belkin are stupid to add that piece of metal, or there is a good reason that people here have not realized. Me, I go with the latter.

From my days in EMI/RFI business, I remember that digital devices like this have to meet FCC regulations, including interference with other devices. I am reasonably certain that the metal plate is being used as a shield to reduce the power output (and the effective distance) to comply with regulations.

That said, if the fix suggested here works, go for it. Not very likely that the FCC regulators will come beating on your door.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:17:20 PM PST
W. Moore says:
>"From my days in EMI/RFI business, I remember that digital devices like this have to meet FCC regulations, including interference with other devices."

Very true. You can find the FCC ID on the bottom of the device.

>"I am reasonably certain that the metal plate is being used as a shield to reduce the power output (and the effective distance) to comply with regulations."

This sentence doesn't even make sense if you know how electromagnetism works. It is far more likely that the metal plate is acting as a reflector that is causing multipath interference. If it was a shield, it would be grounded properly, it would contain far less metal (a few grams), and it would probably be soldered directly to the board so as to reduce footprint and amount of metal required. Also, EM shields are generally not made of pot metal. Since it is acting as a reflector, it is actually INCREASING the radiated power output above the plane of reflection (where people are) and decreasing radiated power below the device. Now, there MIGHT be another device below the unit, but I've not seen any other BT device with a "shield" like this (or even a conventional EM shield) since operation is desired in all directions/orientations.

>"Not very likely that the FCC regulators will come beating on your door."

They won't because you're operating in an unlicensed band at very low power. Unless you add a decent 2.4GHz power amplifier in to the mix (which most home users won't have any idea how to do), this isn't even in the realm of possibilities.

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (1,823 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $19.49