5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping Dogs a Sleeper Hit, August 17, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sleeping Dogs - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I can not stress enough how generally uninterested I am in games like Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, and other sandbox style games in a big city. I find, too often, that I get bored quickly with what there is to do and sadly the stories lack anything to keep me interested. That said,, I should note I loved Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, and all of the sand boxing in the Assassin's Creed games. The stories and game mechanics are what get me more interested than anything else.

I expected this game to be as its peers in terms of having a relatively dull story, decent music, and fun guns/cars to play around with until I felt like I'd misspent my money. Sleeping Dogs, however, is absolutely phenomenal. I knew little about the game before I Redbox-ed it on a whim, but I was so incredibly impressed that I went out and bought it the following day. Few things these days are a release week purchase for me, especially games I had not anticipated buying or heard very little about. This game stands above and beyond its car jacking peers with a great story, tons of missions, and so many extra activities I'm not sure I'll be able to do them all.

Mechanically the game is an amalgam of an assortment of great titles. The gunplay is on par, if not smoother, with Uncharted; the brawling is as seamless as Arkham City or any of the Assassin's Creed games; and the driving is some of the best I have ever enjoyed, though I'm not much of a driving game player. The graphics are absolutely stunning and cutscenes are great! The texture quality is fantastic, and it's a game like this that stuns me completely that, visually especially, game designers are still able to do something better than the last new big thing on this generation's hardware!

I can not more highly recommend this game!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 2:35:02 PM PST
Sean says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:40:18 PM PST
WAHKASOOSH says:
Well he rented the game and liked it enough to want to purchase it. So what?

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 7:23:48 AM PST
killercurls says:
great review! ima red box this too!

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 7:43:15 PM PDT
Chris Nguyen says:

Posted on May 5, 2013 3:45:47 AM PDT
V. Fernandes says:
I am surprised at the good reception for this game, graphics are nowhere near Arkham city or Just cause 2, story is uninteresting, but of course, when a game is really good you dont even need a story, which was the case with Just cause, in which every mission was made for you to have fun. Here I felt the missions were, go there beat some guys, go here beat these guys, rinse and repeat.

You really thought the combat is close to arkham city? Probably you didnt play it right? Could you high combos of over 70x? Because that combat was all about combos, the higher, the stronger and faster you'd get rid of the bad guys, on the other hand, most of Arkham's thugs are skippable as you can just use stealth to pass the sections. Also in arkham you had a lot of variation, be it in missions and also in style of play, example using different gadgets to take down thugs. In sleeping dogs, is just punch punch punch a million times until the guy is down, more like assassins creed.

The driving is nowhere near GTA 4, in that game you could feel the weight of the car, and bumps etc, on sleeping dogs it feels artificial, like its not even part of the world.

I bought this game for less than half price and still cant figure out all the rave reviews.

One thing I agree, red dead redemption was really good, in that game missions were engaging, characters had personalities.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 4:25:24 PM PST
V.P. says:
It's free on for xbox live gold members! i'm download right now
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (256 customer reviews)

$29.99 $9.99