5.0 out of 5 stars Best AM and FM Reception of Any Pocket Radio I've Tested, June 14, 2008
This review is from: Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio (Electronics)
I wasn't happy with the FM on my tiny Sangean DT-180 and my Sony SFR-M37V provided similarly disappointing FM. But both were good on AM.

Wanting an upgrade, I bought the DT-400 on Amazon for $61 free shipping. You can choose the built-in speaker or go through the earbuds, which serve as the FM antenna. Without the earbuds or provided wire you will get zero FM reception. I replaced the stock buds with my V-MODAs and the FM was just as good.

The AM and FM of the DT0400 beat the reception of my aforementioned radios. The weather band is a plus as is the Deep Bass button. Also, with TV band obsolete in 2009, the DT-400, which replaces TV with weather, is an important update.

The sound is far better through the provided buds or my upgraded V-MODAs and I recommend using them over the built-in speaker.

Final verdict: Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2008 4:10:08 AM PDT
D Jones says:
Thanks for your concise review. I just purchased a Sangean PR-D7 from Amazon and am considering returning it for this radio. I do have a couple questions. Can the antenna wire be removed? Does it have recharging circuit for rechargable batteries? Does it have a built in clock? How do the 19 random presets work since I see no preset buttons in the photo of the radio. I want to use it around the house listening mainly through the speaker. Thanks in advance for answers or comments.

Dave

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008 8:06:59 AM PDT
No recharging function; yes there's a clock; yes you can remove antenna and replace with headphones; the presets are used in My Favorite mode.

Having said this, I don't have a PR-D7 but I do have the better AM PR-D5.

I think the speaker sound of the DT400 is too weak to replace your PR-D7. The DT400 works better as a walking radio with headphones.

If you want rechargeable batteries and great reception, you might look at the C.Crane CSW, but it's pricey at $139 plus the 4 "D" rechargeables will cost another $60.

If your PR-D7 is getting good reception, you might keep it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 1:36:11 PM PDT
D Jones says:
M. Jeffrey McMahon,

Thanks very much for answering my questions. For my needs, I think I'll hold on to the Sangean PR-D7 for now.

Dave

Posted on Aug 4, 2008 7:23:31 PM PDT
Jon Helberg says:
I also appreciate and thank you for your concise review. My DT-400W arrived today and I'm absolutely happy with it but I have questions on two features which the manual is vague on:
1) Does the 90 minute auto timer start at 90 each time the radio is turned on (I know the procedure for disengaging the feature), and
2) How does the weather alert feature work? I know how to set it/turn it on, however do not know how it functions, i.e., does it buzz? Does it work regardless of the band you're listening to? And does it work when the radio is turned off?
Thanks in advance for your, or any comments.
Again, I'm absolutely happy with this radio (had the 19 favorites programmed in 10 minutes with a mix of AM & FM).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 8:12:16 AM PDT
Yes, the 90 minute cycle starts every time you turn it on unless you disengage it. As far as weather goes, I suppose you just have to listen to it if it's on. I suppose you won't hear anything urgent unless there's an impending weather situation that poses a danger.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2008 8:55:27 PM PDT
Jon Helberg says:
Thanks again. I found out how the weather alert feature works almost hours after posting my question to you. With the feature turned on and the radio turned off it will sound a beep-beep-beep which will alert you to tune in on the weather channel. A useful feature.

I remain hard pressed to post a single negative about this radio. I especially love the My Favorites (19 pre-sets) feature primarily because I'm a talk-radio fan (garden talk, sports talk, car talk, political talk) and can cycle up and down through all my AM pre-sets quickly and accurately. This is really a boon for someone who was using an ancient Radio-Shack analog tuning pocket radio that was just slightly too big for a shirt pocket. Yes the earphones could be more comfortable but they sound better when listening to FM stereo than the $29 pair of Philips ear buds I tried from Target, and yes the speaker is a tad on the shrill side but that doesn't bother me on the AM radio side. Last, AM reception is a huge improvement over my old RS portable so much that I'm able to use the radio in buildings where I couldn't listen before. Yes, highly recommended. Good job Sangean.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (492 customer reviews)

$69.95 $48.93