5.0 out of 5 stars I Wanted to Save Energy. This La Crosse Works Fantastically., June 6, 2011
This review is from: La Crosse Technology WS-9007U-B-IT Wireless Thermometer (Kitchen)
When the days are warm, but the nights and evenings are cool, I was looking for - an outdoor thermometer - to let me know when I could 1) shut off my air conditioning and 2) open my doors and windows to let the cool air in and save on electricity.

Don't laugh. When the breeze is blowing, or the humidity is high or low, sometimes its hard to tell what the true outside temperature really is.

Unfortunately, the reviews on Amazon for regular analog outdoor thermometers weren't very encouraging. Many of these units were inaccurate, of poor build quality, or somewhat hard to read - especially from inside of the house. And the decent ones were also fairly expensive.

But then I happened across this La Cross Wireless Temperature Station. I couldn't have been more thrilled.

An electronic sending unit (about the size of a small disposable lighter or PEZ candy dispenser) goes outside. But the electronic receiving unit stays indoors.

It took me about 15 minutes to set everything up. There's a wall bracket that holds the sending unit - which required two screws and a little bit of drilling. But then I was good to go.

The system works great.

The receiving unit displays both - indoor temperature - and outdoor temperature.

The outdoor unit appears to be fairly accurate - reading within one degree of the temperature displayed on the receiving unit - when both are either indoors or out. (I did this as a test.)

Best of all, I can put the receiving unit - anywhere I want inside of the house - up to 260 feet away from the sending unit so long as the signal is picked up. There's a symbol on the display - confirming that the transmission is being received.

I ended up placing the receiving unit on my desk (which is my dining table at home). That way - I know what the temperature is where I'm sitting - and what the temperature is outside. There's a button on the face -- to toggle back-and-forth between the temperature `out' and `in.'

There's also a `min' and `max' feature -- to record the range of temperatures - both indoors and out.

A little foot swings out on the indoor unit out for desktop use. And there's a hole in the back in case you want to mount it on a wall.

Best of all -- the receiving unit looks and feels -- like a quality digital clock. I couldn't be happier.

With the La Cross Wireless Temperature Station - life just keeps getting - more and more comfortable. Enjoy.

[Add comment]