ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but definitely not the best season, December 12, 2010
This review is from: True Blood: Season 3 (DVD)
This season started off with a fantastic bang, but as it progressed the episodes became increasingly stupid and disappointing. The third season's main plot point is the exciting kidnapping of Bill by the King of Mississippi who has a pack of V-addicted werewolf henchman. Naturally, Sookie does everything she can to save her man with Eric both preventing and/or helping her in her endeavors. However, this season bombards the viewers with too many new characters and subplots. There are literally more than a dozen new characters, and most of the already established characters (Layfayette, Sam, Tara, Jessica, Jason, Arlene, etc) seem to have their own subplots going on. Some of the characters rarely have any interaction with each other, but only with the new characters in their own personal story. In fact the subplots take up so much of the show that I often feel like I am watching 4 or more shows at once. Along with new characters there are several new "supes" (supernaturals) that are introduced in this season including werewolves, werepanthers, fairies/"fae", and witches. I also find it strange that a good amount of the "supes" are backwater, dirty hicks who don't even look classy enough for a trailer park. Some cheesy and downright stupid scenes make viewers feel that perhaps True Blood is going in the direction of every other vampire show, book or movie, which is mind-numbing stupidity. Possibly the worst part about this season was the finale, which was a horrible episode, nonetheless horrible season finale. In fact I think it was probably the worst episode of True Blood I have ever seen.

However, this is not to say this season did not have some great twists and turns to keep viewers on the edge of their seat. So in light of lots of criticism I will highlight some of the best parts of Season 3.

1. Background about Eric's life as both a human and vampire

2. We learn "what" Sookie is and why she can read minds and shoot light from her fingertips

3. Eric and Pam's maker-progeny relationship is presented in a deeper and more meaningful manner

4. We learn more about vampire hierarchies and politics

5. Jessica's adjustment to her vampire identity and struggling with her relationship with Hoyt

6. We see a darker side of the gallant and gentlemanly Bill

7. We see a lighter side of the cold and cruel Eric

8. Some amusing one liners (ex: "His cheese done slid off his cracker!") But they best be careful with this lest they put too much effort into "funny" lines and not meaningful dialogue

9. Some awesome fight scenes

10. Russel Edgington

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2011 11:21:53 AM PDT

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 12:55:22 PM PDT
T. Miller says:
I think it may seem really confusing at the on-slaught of new characters for those who have never read the books. The do add some meaningless "fluff" (characters who don't exist in the books, events that never really happened, etc.) as all TV shows do. But honestly, how boring would the show have been if the show had only focused on Sookie and her point of view? They add these things in to keep those of use who have read the books on our toes. They are only introducing as many "supe" character's as Charlaine Harris writes about. And for those who think that the cast looks just step above a trailer park, have you even BEEN to Louisiana? I'm from the south, and I think they nailed it pretty accurately.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 4:09:52 PM PDT
J. Parker says:
I haven't seen this season, but I have to say, as a true Southern woman, "his cheese done slid off his cracker" is a phrase we all use rather often. That isn't a "cute" colloquialism, it's just the way we talk.
That being said, I must say that the last True Blood I saw (season 2) was getting WAY out on a limb! I agree with what you had to say about too many plots. If season 3 is heavier with characters than season 2, I will need a program just to keep up with everybody! They really should slow the crazy stuff down and focus on the primary characters.
Seems to me that Bon Temps is getting a little crowded!

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 4:11:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2011 4:27:26 PM PDT
What a great and honest review! I agree with you one hundred percent. The first 2 seasons kicked season 3's pants off. Way too many characters and underdeveloped subplots just as you said. The fairy revelation doesn't make me too excited for season 4 either. Faries aren't quite as scary as vampires and other creatures, and the mystery behind Sookie's powers was always something intriguing and something that should have been milked more. Plus, I'm sorry, but as a straight male, there were way too many gratuitous scenes of Lafayette making out in season 3 which isn't exactly something that makes for must-see television, although I actually quite like Lafayette as a character (way better than his grating voiced cousin Tara, yuck). I mean, the sexual tensions between Sookie and Bill and Sam and Eric work great, but who cares about Lafayette's love life? That would be like focusing on Booger's lovelife on Moonlighting, Cliff's bedroom antics on Cheers, or Wallace's sexual prowess on Veronica Mars. It's just not something to try and make an audience focus its attention on in the same way we like focusing on the main leads whose relationships which are a huge part of the programs appeals. I enjoyed the first two seasons due to the mystery, suspense, action, horror, and interesting/well developed characters. Season 3 had too many underdeveloped characters (apart from Eric whom you mentioned) and none too subtle politics thrown in our faces. The first two series were like classic horror mysteries (albeit with today's need for sex and violence which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Season 3 seemed more like it tried to top the first two with too much frosting and not enough cake. Great review.

Posted on May 8, 2011 5:03:17 PM PDT
SevyJane says:
Russel Edgington should be number 1 on the list... For me, he made this season as entertaining as it was.

Posted on May 12, 2011 8:41:12 AM PDT
SAMIAM says:

Posted on May 25, 2011 3:44:34 PM PDT
Melissa says:
I completely agree... It was by far the worst season so far (but of course I'm still getting HBO to see the next season and I still like it)... what I DON'T like is all the different stories going on... Too much, it feels like watching a soap opera.... With so much going on the narrative of the season gets lost, and you are just watching all these disconnected stories... For me, the intensity of the story was gone...

Season 1 was awesome, probably the best so far... season 2 I really loved though because I'm a huge Eric fan and we got to see lots more of him. I'm EXCITED as all hell for season 4 because of the Eric story line... but I'm really hoping they tone down all the extra stories going on and at least make them more relative to one plot...

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 9:31:12 AM PDT
Grey Parrot says:
I have read the books and I've been to Louisiana and I was raised in the South. My mama was raised on the Gulf Coast. Don't agree that cramming all these characters into last season improved the show for a reader. Agree with this reviewer that season 3 was uneven and not always coherent, and I don't like turning the were folks into Dixie Mafia drug dealers. The show needs to take a different approach than Ms. Harris does to make a weekly series work. Would not have missed Lafayette's expanded role or the creation of baby vamp Jessica for anything.

Posted on May 31, 2011 1:04:14 PM PDT
SAMIAM says:

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 9:04:35 AM PDT
Radene says:
I LOVED this review because it fit perfectly with my feelings about Season 3 and I'm so glad I'm not alone. I HATED.... I mean H..A..T..E..D that hideous season finale! I loved the character of Sookie and of course the Sookie/Bill storyline; but this season Sookie seemed to be written as a petulant, stomping whiner with an untreated Bi-Polar condition: she's in/she's out, she loves/she hates, blah/blah - I got whiplash on her mood swings! I will still buy Season 3 for my collection because despite Season 3 itself, I still love and hope for a great Season 4. I'm very thankful for this review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›