nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars nice printer for casual use, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5320 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer (5291B019) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Out of the box, this is a sharp looking unit with its high-gloss black finish and flush folding LCD screen and paper tray. It looks great in the home office and is designed to complete basic printing and scanning tasks. After using the printer for about a month, it seems like it can complete the tasks that would be expected by most home users with the added bonus of being wireless right out of the box.

This is what we like about the printer:

1.Easy set-up: The set-up is straightforward and easy with the included CD. The printer connected to our secured wireless network with no problems and the software was installed quickly on two laptops, again, with no difficulties. The Easy-Photo-Print Android app also was installed with no problem on an HTC EVO 3D and was free to download from the market. It took about thirty minutes to get the product out of the box and set up on a computer.

2. Print quality is good: We printed a couple of photos using the printer and the color is good for the most part. We found lighter colors (tan, cream, beige, light pink) to be somewhat off. Don't use this copier to make up for professional printers if you need photos printed as gifts that incorporate these light colors. Printing black and white documents in draft mode does not really sacrifice quality. We were impressed that documents printed in draft mode were relatively crisp in appearance. I feel completely comfortable printing professional documents (resumes, reports) with the draft mode.

3. Great looking: As noted, this is a sleek black printer that fits into the design of the home office.

4. Scanning feature is so convenient: A person can eliminate a lot of paper in the office by utilizing the printer's scanner. I regularly scan resumes, recipes, and receipts and then .pdf these documents for easy sharing with others and my own reference.

Some gripes:

1.Will need cleaned frequently: The gloss and color of this piece of equipment means that finger prints and dust are easily seen.

2.Paper tray is a bit small: The paper tray should have been a little larger in its capacity. Admittedly, the capacity (which is a little less than 100 pages) is probably not atypical for a printer within this price range and for this printer's intended use and should be more than adequate for casual use and the home office.

3.Cartridges: One of the largest gripes people have about printers typically relate to the cartridges. A total of four small color cartridges, and one large black, feed the printer. Canon sells the four smaller cartridges in packs and, at time of this writing, can be found for forty-five to fifty dollars. To buy, go here: Canon PGI-225 BK/ CLI-226 C,M,Y 4 Pack Value Pack (4530B008) in Retail Packaging. The smaller cartridges purchased alone are about thirteen dollars, which can be purchased here: Canon CLI-226 Magenta Ink Tank (4548B001), Canon CLI-226 Cyan Ink Tank (4547B001), and Canon CLI-226 Yellow Ink Tank (4549B001).

4.Printing speed: While print quality is good, the speed is not great. A photo takes 20-25 seconds. A black and white page in draft quality can take eight seconds. Initial pages in a set can take longer to print after the printer is first turned on. Again, this is probably not atypical for a printer within this price range.

Overall, this printer gives you exactly what it promises. The product's specific features are well laid out in the product description listed on Amazon. Succinctly, however, this is an easy to use and easy to install, wireless home printer/copier/scanner. This printer accomplishes basic tasks that would be required of it in a non-professional home office/casual use environment. This printer seems to be a safe buy that should offer reliable and hassle-free home service.

This product is made in Thailand.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2011 11:29:00 AM PST
First the price just went from 99 to 88, but to add to your post... the setup was easy, hint if you have a wpa wireless router without a 'button' use standard setup not wpa setup...
Also when first out of the box and you get done peeling all the protective plastic off and it doesn't seem like it wants to shut and you can't find the release button to shut it, there is none, it's just stiff and needs to be muscled down to close, kind of annoying but mine didn't break like it felt like it would, canon cust. service helped with this, save the call and just muscle it down...

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 7:14:23 PM PST
It was straightforward and honest, without exceptional bias, or extreme, unnecessary detail. Highlighted areas that specifically interest me.
Thanks. Sounds perfect for my expectations and needs.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:11:26 AM PST
Desert Mambo says:
Thanks for such a detailed review. Really covered the bases (esp. ink!) and helped me!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 12:32:33 PM PDT
One of my top priorities in the search for a printer I'll be happy with is related to a disaster at work, when one of my (otherwise great) Epson Workforce 1100 color ink tanks ran dry. The spares I had on hand turned out to be the wrong cartridges for this printer, and our slow office procurement procedure resulted in almost 2 weeks without the use of my printer! 95% of what I print is black and white, and I couldn't continue printing ANYTHING until that color cartridge was replaced. My ancient el cheapo Canon at home will happily continue to print black and white with empty color tanks, so I just assumed. . . . Epson customer service's answer for why this was a "feature" was an absurd insult to my intelligence. So naturally, I want to know about this particular parameter on the Pixma. I hope someone covers this for me. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 12:45:40 PM PDT
Hi Howard, The color cartridges on my printer are presently empty. I default to grayscale printing or black and white printing when I set the print properties for a particular document. There has never been a problem with the Canon printing from one of the still full black cartridges when I do this. The machine comes with two black cartridges so when one does run out of black ink, it will start to print from the reserve tank. This is a nice feature because I have been printing documents from the reserve tank for several months and all the other cartridges happen to be empty.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 1:54:03 PM PDT
Hi, Angela. Thanks for that info. I just placed an order for this printer. Epson's attitude was very condescending, and tried to tell me that a tiny bit of color was used during black-only printing, to keep the print heads clog-free, yada yada. As an engineer, I knew this was a load of bull. Profit is the motive, clear and simple, for this "feature". Your reply was most timely and appreciated. Kudos to Amazon, too, for making these types of honest user-review communications easy and relevant. -Howard Rogers

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:45:13 PM PDT
Howard, I really like the printer. I primarily use it for professional black and white docs that do not require color. Just set the printer preferences to black and white when color gets low - or all the time to preserve color ink - and you shouldn't have difficulties. I hope the product works for your uses. Thanks for your question and comment.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 10:13:32 AM PDT
I have found ink cartridges on line for a much lower price than Canon. Also you can contact for replacements or refilling kits and ink.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 11:07:04 AM PDT
I typically fill my used cartridges at Costco. I also have had good luck with LD © Canon CLI-226 Dye Black Compatible Inkjet Cartridge W/ Chip. Both options are cheaper than buying a new Canon cartridge.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:01:35 AM PDT
I'm not sure about the MG5320, but when the cover is open on my MG5220 I lift it up again then it goes down.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›