5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Starter Camera, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens (Camera)
Looking over several cameras and choosing one for someone who has outgrown point and shoots, I came back to the Nikon D3000. By no means will this model blow away the seasoned photographer, however it does cover the basics and more. We picked it up and tried it out over the weekend.

First time DSLR users will enjoy the Guide Mode. It literally walked us through different shoot scenarios via the fixed 3" LCD screen. An excellent tool, its step by step instructions allowed my niece to move from the operating booklet in no time. After a few more runs, I am sure that she will feel quite comfortable shooting in the manual mode. The quick shutter release was a nice surprise.

Upon completing two days of shooting with the Nikon D3000, I walked away impressed. In manual mode, indoor shots were a balanced and perfect mix of shadow and color. As usual with shooting in low light, noise will make an appearance. However this system can be tweaked to deliver some outstanding indoor photographs. The bottom line is proper settings.

A basic fix is the VR (Vibration Reduction) feature located on the lens. This should be activated, especially indoors. A tripod will certainly help. In auto mode, just set the camera to night portrait and sit back and enjoy the rest of your flight.

Outdoor shots were vibrant, sharp and rich in color without editing. The onboard flash system was more than capable in meeting fill flash requirements. Without a doubt the overall performance of the camera, features and image quality is excellent.

With 10.2 megapixels to work with, I easily blew up a personal favorite my niece had taken to 16" x 20". Even though I don't see myself trading in my Nikon D300 for this model anytime soon, this camera is by far an upgrade over any of the souped up point and shoots out there.

Its easy to see that the real jewel in this model is the auto focus system. With six auto mode settings (Landscape, Sports, Child, Closeups, Portrait, and Night Portrait) each and every photograph can be a keeper. Onboard editing tweakers won't be disappointed with this model. It covers the basics. The D3000 operates with both SD & SDHC cards.

The Nikon D3000 is paired with a Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S DX lens. It will operate with any Nikkor DX and AF-S lens. Older Nikkor or similar AF lens is a no go when shooting in auto but will function in manual mode. Since this model is not fitted with the built in optical image stabilizer, I recommend switching on the Vibration Reduction (VR) feature located on the lens. Still the best anti vibration tool is a tripod.

Nikon makes it really simple with a thumb dial for tweaking aperture and shutter speed. Metering, focus modes, and exposure compensation are easily controlled via the menu. The D3000 does not shoot in video mode. This model easily shoots over three frames per second in continuous mode. The 3D tracking sensor operates quite well in low lighting.

The Nikon D3000 camera kit comes packaged with a EN/EL3e Li-ion battery, charger, USB cable, video cable. strap, eye cap, eye cup, software CD-ROM, 18-55mm Nikkor lens, lens cap, instruction booklet and a one year Nikon warranty.

Coming out of the gate, I still find this model a little pricey for a basic DSLR. I am sure heading into the fall and holidays buyers will begin to see a noticeable price drop. Even so, the D3000 is a fine tuned replacement for the immensely popular entry level Nikon D40. Newcomers to the DSLR community will certainly enjoy this outstanding alternative.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2009 6:14:31 AM PST
D W says:
With this camera, you can use most older Nikkor or 3rd party lenses that are made for Nikons that are AF, it's just that the auto-focus doesn't work. You simply have to manually focus the image. This is due to the fact that the AF motor is in the lens itself on the AF-S lenses, but AF lenses require a motor to be in the body of the camera, which is only present in I believe the D90 and higher.

Still, if you're setting up a shot with a tripod, manually focusing isn't really that big of a deal. Hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 7, 2010 12:05:42 PM PST
LG says:
Was LCD cover included with camera or did you buy it separately? Can you post picture of it? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 7:06:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2010 7:12:14 AM PST
WALDO812 says:
L.Grinberg,
Unlike both my Nikon D90 and D300, this camera did not come with an LCD cover. The first thing that we did was cut and apply a piece of PSP protective film over the screen. It adds a good degree of protection.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 5:29:38 PM PDT
Marc Miwords says:
Thank you for this review. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I have many photography books and subscribe to a photography website online and have been looking for something that will help me learn my way around this world. I'm beyond the point and shoot but not ready for the big time--I've been looking at this camera for months. I think it's the right one. Your review makes me think I'm right. So thanks again.

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 3:02:43 AM PDT
papajuan says:
Very good review.
I've had my D3000 for almost a year now, I'm a first time DSLR user.
Buy the fastest memory card available. To me the Guide Mode is only for people too lazy to read the user manual or just don't know the advantages of a (d)SLR camera. I am using a Tamron 18 - 270mm auto focus/vibration reduction lens, I feel its AF & VR are as good if not better than the Nikon lenses. I shoot hand held at 270mm w/o any blur. it replace my nikon 18-55 & 55-200 lenses.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 3:47:19 PM PDT
How is it for Macro, JDP? I need to get up really close from time to time and I don't see anything on the D3000's capacity to let you see the teeth of a steak knife, for example, or bugs in the vineyard. If you see this and can let me know, please do.
Brad. <bradvines2@yahoo.com> 10/12/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 11:56:14 AM PDT
pixieverde says:
I doubt the kit lens is good for macro. You'll need a macro lens, or at least a lens designed for shooting relatively close to the subject.

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 5:54:37 AM PDT
Great review. I am mostly looking for camera that is great in dark nightclub to shoot bands----but do plan on using the flash. I want simple to use DSLR---this is my main wish

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 11:55:47 AM PDT
Seth says:
Nowhere in the description does it say "Nikon USA warranty." With Amazon selling at the same grey market price the mjor sellers do, I'd be worried.

Even if it cae through Nikon Canada, Nikon USA cannot, will not and does not have to fix it.

Can anyone clarify which warranty is in the box?

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 10:21:25 AM PDT
SoCalAvAZ says:
Warranty comes from manufacturer not reseller so regardless of if you buy it on Amazon or from a store, warranty should be the same which I believe I read elsewhere is 1-year for this product.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›