1.0 out of 5 stars No motorized zoom, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Sony NEXVG10 Full HD Interchangeable Lens Camcorder (Black) (Electronics)
I was all ready to buy this camera. I'd read about it during the summer and was very excited because of all the great features.

But then I read that there is no motorized zoom.

This is because the interchangeable lenses are actually from the Sony DSLR line, and still camera lenses don't have motorized zooms. Therefore, these lenses have to be zoomed manually... i.e., jerkily.

Sorry, Sony, but that is a deal breaker for me. In this day and age, I want a nice, smooth zoom.

I know, I know. Good video shouldn't include a lot of zooming, just when necessary. But when it is necessary, it should be a good zoom. And I'd even appreciate the option of a slow, or fast zoom. This camera has neither.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2010 11:43:12 AM PDT
Maurice Cash says:
I suspected that it was not a power zoom, but can anyone tell me how bad the zoom is when done by hand? I was hoping that with a bit of planning it would be OK.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 11:23:11 AM PDT
You've got to be kidding me. A manually zoomed SLR lens is far and away smoother than any motorized lens ever made. Good grief.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 11:34:11 AM PDT
Newsbob says:
I disagree. Doing a nice, even, slow zoom from wide to telephoto is nearly impossible on a handheld video camera such as this one. Sure, a fast zoom is easy, but not slow and even.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 11:34:13 AM PDT
Newsbob says:

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 9:19:44 AM PDT
.:jei says:
Personally, I'd take a manual zoom and focus any day over a motor. It shouldn't be difficult to rig a zoom lever for it. Though, it looks like sony left out other useful features:(
I'll watch for user reviews.

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 7:17:01 PM PDT
Tom in Texas says:
I've been using the Panasonic DMC-GH1 as a video camera for about six months, and have had success with achieving nice, smooth zooms manually. So I'm in agreement with John Bowen regarding the quality of manual zooms.

But, yes, the absence of a power zoom does take getting used to. Once you're used to it, you may find that it has advantages as well as disadvantages. On the plus side, it is much easier to control the speed of a manual zoom than it is to get the pressure on a power zoom control just right.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 7:51:18 AM PST
So you posted this 1 star review even though you do not own the product; did not test the product?

Come on guy, nobody cares what you want. We want to read product reviews.

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 10:06:29 PM PST
chuck-a-luck says:
I find all the bashing of the Sony NEXVG10 to be blown out of proportion. I bought the camera and have shot approximately 500 clips with it. Getting use to the menu system was slightly cumbersome - but no where near as difficult as just about all of broadcasting mini cams, I use to operate. After life as a photojournalist, editor, studio cameraman, producer & director, operating the Sony NEX is as simple as knowing what you want to do & how to do it. The resulting pictures from this "well balanced" Handycam are spectacular. You get what you pay for. After having some of the lesser camcorders, my perfectionist nature was not satisfied with Canons below $2000 - the same with JVCs, Panasonics, lesser Sonys, and a list of others. Manually zooming never bothered me, or should not bother anyone 'who really knows how to run - and operate a video camera'. Most of the complaints are posted by 'cry babies' who expect videography, cinematography & photography to get easier for each generation. I was a professional photographer when you really had to know lenses, types of films to use for the shooting conditions, color temperatures, f-stops, shutter speeds & exposure values to mention a few. However, now you don't need to know 'crap' to take a good picture, although aesthetics will usually distinguish a rank amateur from someone with knowledge on how to compose, comprise & frame a scene ready to be captured, either on video or still. I could purchase a $60-70K broadcast camera for the money I have invested in still photography. There is nothing wrong with the Sony NEXVG10. Learn how to run it & stop bitching moaning & complaining & looking for someone to hold your hand. Learn what real videography & photography is all about, it would behoove you to do so. I subscribe to the reality that, each succeeding generation of technological advances, "dumbs-down even more" the knowledge base of the people that use it. Soon, complete idiots, backed by technology, will run everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 2:49:11 PM PDT
G. says:
You hit the nail on the head. I could not have put it better.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 11:49:40 PM PDT
I'm sorry but I'm an Independent Film Maker plus making several commercials for cable and MANUAL zoom is the most desired in the professional industry. We use a follow focus system to achieve smooth transitions manually. I don't know anyone in the industry that uses a powered zoom unless that is the desired effect. Even using cameras such as the HVX a couple of years ago we shut off the powered zoom. This review seems like it is coming from someone that is only used to consumer equipment which is not what this product was made for.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (23 customer reviews)

$1,999.99 $1,952.09