5.0 out of 5 stars Why you should buy "THIS IS IT.", October 29, 2009
This review is from: This Is It (Audio CD)
In an attempt to explain what makes this album worth purchasing, I will break it down to 5 simple words: "It's all about the Sound." While it is true that the first CD of this album is a compilation of MJ's greatest hits, it needs to be pointed out that the majority of these songs have been remastered. In order to discern the difference, I took the original and remastered versions of these songs, and played them side-by-side on the same audio equipment with exactly the same settings. The difference is clear and easy to detect. As good as the originals are, once you hear the remastered versions, the originals sound flat and dull. The remastered versions are crisper, deeper, and fuller. It is simply wonderful to be able to hear how much more amazing these classic songs can sound. I have heard these songs hundreds of times over the years, and yet, after listening to these remastered versions, I felt like I was really hearing them for the first time. To all those who love MJ's music, please don't discount this album simply because these songs have been available for years in their earlier versions. These new versions are absolutely fantastic!

As for the demos on the 2nd CD, they are absolute treasures. Hearing the early versions of these songs takes you inside MJ's creative process, which is a rare and special treat. While the song, "This Is It" isn't a towering achievement like "Thriller," it is a lovely song with a catchy tune that will stick in your head.

Regarding the spoken poem, "Planet Earth," MJ released a book back in 1992 called, "Dancing The Dream." This book was a compilation of poetry and short essays that MJ wrote. The poem "Planet Earth" is one of the poems from this book. Despite the fact that I had read the poem many times, hearing MJ himself actually reading the poem was both beautiful and heart-wrenching. MJ was a visionary, and this is readily apparent when you hear the emotion and depth in his voice as he reads his love poem to the Earth. Do yourself a favor--buy this album, and treat yourself to the wonderful, creative genius of the greatest entertainer who ever lived, Michael Jackson--the King of Pop.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2009 10:26:57 PM PDT
Slim Chance says:
. . . . and how long have you been working for Sony?

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 6:06:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2009 8:59:20 AM PST
M. DUlisse says:
You really do sound like you work for Sony. I wouldn't buy this if you paid me the 10 dollars. Sony is ripping everyone off with this and they know it! If you really want to treat yourself to the greatest entertainer that ever lived, get "The Ultimate Collection". It's a 5 cd set of his hits including more than 15 new songs and a live DVD. This is all you need, and of course his catalogue of music. People have to wake up and realize they are being ripped off!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2009 7:44:45 PM PST
Cynic.

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 8:15:59 PM PST
GG says:
I got this for Christmas, and when I listened to it in my truck, I was absolutely blown away! It SOUNDS FANTASTIC, just like the review writer says. I cranked it loud and it still sounded great - crystal clear and deep. I am totally impressed and so glad I got it. Do not even listen to those comments about the poster working for Sony. It was made clear in the first sentence of the review: "It's all about the Sound." I second that, and in no way do I feel ripped off (well, even if I had paid for it.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 10:58:09 AM PDT
P. Moan says:
I like michael jackson an I have every album from ultimate collection, off the wall, blood on dance floor, histroy book 1, bad, dangerous, thiller, invincable.

Even though U C has repeat of old songs but theirs demos an songs that didnt make it too other cd's.

I heard that there is much more songs than this that never made it on albums, but its actually going too be release on november 2010.

Which I will get it the 2nd iot comes out.

Although my review on this is it cd I still purpuse it because I want the movie on dvd an figure why the hell not have some repeat songs an brand new one this is it.

I look at it this way as a complication of michael jackson songs, so I wont have too burn the songs on some blank cd, etc. whcih burning music takes forever.

But I agree it is a rip because it's all repeats except for this is it.

But if your a true mj fan then you should purpose it anyway.

But this isnt the 1st time they had greatest hits, they also had it on 1995 album history book 1 past present an future, but I mostly just listen too the 2nd cd with newer songs an ignore the 1st one because I already have thiller, off the wall, bad and dangerous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 10:14:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 10:22:54 AM PST
"You really do sound like you work for Sony." Are you kidding me? I'm simply a 49 year old woman who has loved MJ since the Jackson 5 days. I have absolutely no connection to Sony--I'm just a dedicated fan who tried to write a review in order to help others make an informed decision regarding this album. I think the fact that I simply wrote my review and never checked back to see what people said in reply speaks strongly to the fact that I'm not a Sony employee. Would a Sony employee write such a review, and then wait for over 3 years to read replies to their review? I think not!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2013 11:55:28 AM PDT
w flower says:
Hi, I bought my original copy at the record store 3 years ago. Came back to Amazon to get extra copies. I loved your review!!!! Thanks .

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 9:44:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 7, 2014 11:59:44 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (236 customer reviews)

Reviewer