1.0 out of 5 stars 50% price increase for 1 added book, September 20, 2012
This review is from: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire Series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons (Kindle Edition)
This is not a 1 star review based on the content. GRRM's books are fantastic and this series is one of my favourites. The 1 star rating is for the 5-book kindle "boxed" set. Previously, the 4 book set was available on kindle for $29.99. However, the publisher has pulled it in replace of this 5 book set with a 50% price hike ($44.99). If you are buying the set, the print edition will be the cheaper route.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2012 1:59:28 PM PDT
T. Mangrum says:
Thanks for the review because I wondered where the 4-box set went. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer to get this series =/

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 12:12:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 12:13:20 PM PDT
For someone who doesn't have all of the books this isn't a bad price as it saves 10%. This bundle puts each book at $8.99. Seeing as the last book is $14.99, the bundle saves you $6 opposed to getting them individually. If you got the old bundle for $29.99 then the new book for $14.99 you would have payed $44.98 total. You would have saved a whole penny!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 7:14:38 PM PDT
The point is that you would pay full price for the last book (which we could have already done by buying the four book bundle and the fifth book separately). The point of the bundle is that the author is guaranteed the sale of all books in the set and in return the customer is given a discount--the fifth book being set at full price defeats this. Also, with the original bundle of four being $30, the fifth book being sold for an additional $15 is increasing the price of the four book bundle by 50% (an additional $15 as compared to the original $30) while increasing the amount of books you get by only 25% (an additional book as compared to the original four).

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:27:43 PM PDT
Matt says:
It appears they have taken notice to all the negative feedback and dropped the price by $5. I am still not eager to purchase this edition without x-ray enabled. My Paperwhite arrives in 2 days. I guess I will just purchase the individual books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 1:11:08 PM PDT
I thought the whole point of ebooks was that the publisher gets to save a whole bunch of money on paper, ink, and publishing machinery. Somebody tell me why I can get a mass market paperback set of books 1-4 for ~$20, but ebooks for the same books are going to cost me 2x more.

Now, I know that Amazon has been selling their Kindles at or below cost, but that was their decision. The end user still has to look at paying full trade paperback retail price for something that loses 100% of its value when purchased new (i.e. I can't sell used it when I'm done reading it).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 6:32:08 AM PDT
J. Sain says:
To be completely fair, Amazon doesn't set the price for every ebook they sell. In this case, they clearly state that the price is set by the publisher. If Amazon were to alter the price they would be in danger of losing access to the entire series both digital and print and they would also be taking a loss on whatever they would sell.

I agree that the pricing is ridiculous and should be far lower and as such, I'm not going to be buying these books, but the blame goes directly to the publishers, not Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 7:15:59 AM PDT
I never said amazon set the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 7:21:26 AM PDT
J. Sain says:
My apologies. I meant to reply to the comment directly above mine. Clicked the wrong reply link.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:52:45 PM PDT
To every brilliant person who downrated this pack : Lets do a thinking exercise, hope this isn't too difficult. Each book separately on amazon kindle ( books 1-4) is currently $8.99. Lets round that to 9. 9x 4=36. The last book is 14.99. Lets round that to 15. I think thats $51. So I will ask you...What numbers are better if you want the whole book series? Just about $40 or over $50? Hmm. Or what if I already have the 4 book set which is about $30 and I wanted the last book. It would STILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE to buy that extra book separately. Go ahead and wait, you will downrate an absolutely amazing book series because you're mad about the price, and its still the best option out there... and you know you couldn't go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and get these 5 books for under $40. Please. Oh please let me know when you guys can find these books for less $9 each at a mom and pops bookstore. Oh and btw, I have the convenience of putting this series in my pocket and pulling it out when I want to on my iPod touch. Complain complain, no one is ever happy with what they have or willing to compromise. The price is better currently than any other option on Amazon for ALL FIVE BOOKS. Thinking caps people.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 6:07:10 PM PDT
OK, Kathryn. If you're so brilliant, then tell me this. What is a book?

Here's my answer. First and foremost, it's intellectual property, but that's not all. It's also paper and glue and ink. Not only that, it's the machinery to print the pages, to bind them into a cover, and to cut the page edges straight. A book is also the cost of operating the massive warehouses that are required to store it after printing, paying the personnel and staff who make it all possible, operating the machinery and warehouses, driving the trucks to deliver it to the bookstores, and making contracts with new authors in order to guarantee the brand.

What, then, happens when all the overhead is subtracted and we're left with only intellectual property? Does the price of the book go up or down? You sound pretty smart, so you tell me. I'm expecting an intellectual answer from you. One that sounds like it was produced by someone wearing a thinking cap.

Best,