5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus XZ-2 vs. Nikon D7000 and Canon G1X, November 16, 2012
This review is from: Olympus XZ-2 Digital Camera (Black) (Electronics)
Hello everyone, I was on a trip in Kobe, Japan recently when I saw this Olympus XZ-2 in one of the stores. Being a long-time Nikon/Canon person and looking for a pocketable camera, I decided to give Olympus a try and bought the XZ-2 with the optional automatic lens cap. I used this camera extensively during my trip and I wanted to share my experiences.

I'm no pro photographer - I just love taking pictures. Some of the gear I had in the past are Canon XSI with the kit lens, Canon 50D, and several Canon point-and-shoots including Canon S95. Some lenses I had were Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 24-70mm, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 70-300mm, and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. I recently switched to Nikon - currently I have a Nikon D7000, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens, and a Nikon 16-85mm lens. As the usual story goes, I also wanted something small and light where I could take with me instead of my D7000, so I purchased a Canon G1X as well - hoping that it would destroy my S95 in the IQ department. The G1X turned out to be a bad experience for me. First, it's not really pocketable - it's apparently smaller than the D7000, but you cannot carry it inside a belt bag. Second, it does not have the usual Canon colors - there is something wrong with the G1X colors, it's just not pleasant. Third, the camera is slow, I mean really slow as an 80-year old grandma. Fourth, forget about macro - it's just not a G1X thing. And fifth, it has a slow zoom; f/5.8 exactly on the tele end. The only thing G1X does really well is noise at high ISO - ISO 1600 pictures are virtually noise-free.

Comparing the XZ-2 to G1X, XZ-2 is considerably smaller (though it has great ergonomics). In fact, XZ-2 is even smaller (apparently, not thinner) than a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone (I posted a picture of them next to each other). With an after-market hand-strap, I can easily carry the XZ-2 in a belt bag. The camera is fast and responsive, unlike the G1X. It has a super fast f/1.8-2.5 lens so it rarely needs to go up to high ISO's. Note that G1X and XZ-2 have the exact same zoom range: 28-112 equivalent. But G1X is f/5.8 on the tele end whereas XZ-2 is f/2.5. This means that, on the tele end, in a situation where XZ-2 needs ISO 400, G1X would need ISO 2000. Thus, even though XZ-2's high ISO capabilities are not as good as G1X, it does not really need that kind of capability thanks to its fast lens. Regarding macro, XZ-2 can focus as close as 1cm, which is worlds better than the G1X.

Now, the most critical difference: XZ-2 colors and auto white balance just blow those of G1X out of the water - as simple as that. XZ-2 has the same imaging processor as in the crazy-popular Olympus OM-D, so now I understand. With both my Canons and Nikons, I have to use the standard picture style for people pictures and the vivid picture style for travel and scenery; both with some amber shift, to get the colors I like. In XZ-2, I almost always get beautiful, jaw-dropping, splendid, fantastic, great, awesome colors with just the neutral picture style with no tweaking what-so-ever.

Can XZ-2 beat Nikon D7000? Of course not. Even at ISO 100, D7000 pictures are sharper and cleaner with much better dynamic range than XZ-2. But that is not the point. You would take XZ-2 to places only where you can't bring along your DSLR gear. And as far as that purpose is concerned, XZ-2 gets the job done nicely.

Some other fun things I like about XZ-2: It has a dual-mode ring around the lens. Just grap it for a program shift - it's that easy. In addition, it's got a beautiful high-res tilting screen with excellent color tonality. And the best part is, it is touchscreen! Yes! That's what I'm talking about. I can scroll through images with the swipe of a finger, I can zoom in and out, and I can set the focus point by touching on the screen. If I want, I can set the camera to focus first and then immediately take the picture. Brilliant. Thank you Olympus. Once you start using a touchscreen camera, you will never want to go back (just imagine the last non-touchscreen mobile phone you had).

To wrap things up, Olympus XZ-2 is a great little fun camera that I can whole-heartedly recommend to fellow enthusiasts. It's not the cheapest point-and-shoot around, but I believe it is worth it. I suspect that XZ-2 will be a popular carry-everywhere camera once it is released in the U.S.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 10:30:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 23, 2012 6:04:11 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:42:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 8:15:07 AM PST
S. Vogt says:
I thought this camera was supposed to be out at the end of October in the US...wonder why it has been delayed. **Update: B&H shows this camera starting to ship on Tuesday 12/5**

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:56:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:54:02 PM PST
F. Meszaros says:
Thank you for your review.
I just got an XZ-2 off of eBay couple days ago.
And I can say it outperforms the XZ-1 in everyday.
I was thinking to buy an evf for it but I am very happy I don't need to because the articulate display works great in sunlight (you can move it) and has a much better resolution than the XZ-1 and it is touch sensitive. Focusing is just so so fast. The built quality is first class it is almost like not a point and shoot category more like a Pen camera. The front ring is super useful and works wonders. The photo quality is outstanding in jpeg and have not seen the raw yet. Yes the price is a bit more than a G15 or a P7700 but less than a RX100 but in my experience the XZ-2 is a better camera than all the above.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:00:18 PM PST
LG says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:45:15 PM PST
W. Andres says:

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 3:18:37 AM PST
ronnbot says:
@LG: It's totally relevant. Knowing what other cameras the reviewer owned/used gives me some context. In particular, the G1X is a competitor in this high end P&S segmet so the direct comparison was useful, and if you actually bothered reading the entire review before leaving a comment, you would agree.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:37:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 5:37:56 PM PST
Tennyson Lee says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 5:01:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 5:02:51 PM PST
LarryMcJ says:
The only area I think the G15 outperforms the XZ-2 is in noise reduction...just as it beat it predecessor, the XZ-1. Not saying it has bad noise reduction...it's way better than many cameras in its class, but it's just not as good as the G15. So if you do a lot of shooting in low light without flash, it might not be the very best camera. Or, if you must have a rangefinder, albeit the bottom of the rangefinder barrel, at least the G15 has one. Other than these two things...the XZ-2 is a wonderful camera

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 12:28:52 PM PST
You are speaking for yourself, which is even a worse mistake. Past experience of performance and feel is invaluable, and I woulkd like to know when it's there,

If you never drove anything but a wagon, you might think a Ford Fiesta was a Corvette, right ??

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:05:43 PM PDT
Interesting, useful review, particularly your comments regarding the relationship between aperture and ISO (and so noise), factors that can often get overlooked when pixel-peeping on dpreview.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (40 customer reviews)

$599.00