Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Likely To Be the Blu Ray Event of the Year, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Cleopatra: 50th Anniversary Limited Edition [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It is likely that the US edition of CLEOPATRA on Blu Ray will be identical in most respects to the "All Region" edition released in the UK last year. (I'm guessing that this will apply to the bonus features as well.)

Assuming that the US edition mirrors what's available in the UK, viewers are in for a terrific experience. This particular transfer yields what is quite simply the most spectacular Blu Ray I have ever seen. More than any other studio, Fox has lavished a great deal of time and money on preserving its widescreen films of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Nowhere is the success of that campaign more evident than on CLEOPATRA.

I would note that, as part of the restoration process on its widescreen epics, Fox has struck new 35mm and 70mm film prints. Here in New York, and elsewhere, these prints have been screened theatrically in retrospectives of various sorts. As wonderful as the new CLEOPATRA Blu Ray is, I can only hope that everybody with an interest in this movie will one day have a chance to see it in 70mm on a giant screen. If you have that opportunity, it is not to be missed. It's an experience you'll remember for a long, long time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2013 11:33:24 PM PST
Melbournesag says:
I agree, I have purchased the All Region Blu-ray of CLEOPATRA and the results are stunning, however I would question the comment that Fox has lavished a great deal of time and money on preserving it's widescreen films of the 50's, 60's and 70's. To be sure some have been given a wonderful restoration for example STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, SOUTH PACIFIC, SOUND OF MUSIC and ON THE RIVIERA whilst others have ranged from adequate to abysmal, HELLO, DOLLY! and STAR! come to mind. The studio seems to re-release the same handful of titles and ignore most of their catalogue. I suppose we'll soon see yet another release of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals in Blu-ray.

The studio has started releasing some of their earlier titles in a series called CINEMA ARCHIVES on DVD-R which are offered at premium prices and absolutely no restoration, in fact some of the widescreen titles are in pan-and-scan, and are only of VHS quality. It would appear that those in charge at Fox have seen that Warner Archives have found a market for older titles and have decided that could also cash in on this market. The difference being that Warner's do restore most of their releases.

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 5:20:22 PM PDT
Leland says:
Hi, Just reading your comments on the upcoming "50th" version of Cleopatra. I am very excited for this release as I have the "5 Star Edition" Fox released some years ago. I am wondering, is it the same version or did the studio go "hey, for this bluray edition, we have to add cut scenes, etc." to it? I have never seen it on the big screen as I was not even born when this came out in 1963. I like Elizabeth and I think she did a great job as Cleopatra. I have the 75th Anniversary Edition of the same title with Claudette Colbert and I loved that one. You did mention that Fox is spending time and money on restoring widescreen movies of the 50's through the 70's. Well, for the 6 movies they did for Marilyn, they are really good transfers to bluray. I am eagerly awaiting "Niagara" one of her best in my opinion and why they didn't put that one in the 7 disc set they released last year is beyond me. They put in TNBLSB instead, which is dreadful with the exception of Marilyn's only great dance scene "Heatwave". Fox needs to get it together and come out with her entire catalog of movies on bluray if they really wanted to "cash in" on her, which people are still doing today 50+ years after her passing. I only know of the two MGM blurays that are out now of her movies "Some Like It Hot" and "The Misfits" which is a 50th Anniversary edition (That one in particular had a scene which didn't turn out very well in the upgrade to bluray).

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 4:11:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2013 4:17:06 AM PDT
Alan Tully says:
Well I have the UK release (I'm in the UK) & I find the Blu-ray very disappointing, & if you like the look of the DVD so will you. It's now far too cool & processed looking, & the colours have been tweaked & the yellow taken out, so now the golds look like silver & Cleopatra's entry into Rome now looks like it was shot on a dull day. You have been warned!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 3:41:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2013 9:02:38 AM PDT
Hi Alan. Boy, It think we were looking at different pressing of the UK blu-ray. I found it jaw-dropping. I'm thinking about acquiring the US release only for the book; otherwise, I've waited all these years to see again the spectacle that blew me away when I was 17, and had taken a 100 mile bus trip so I could see it in one of the last great movie houses in Detroit (I also saw "How the West Was Won" in Cinerama there), but back to "Cleopatra".

I have owned the movie on VHS, laserdisc, DVD, and now blu-ray. My cherished hope that someday, somewhere, the *complete* film as Mankiewicz envisioned might be found and restored (like John Wayne's "The Alamo"). Alas, neither is going to happen, but at least what we have on blu-ray will give future generations an idea of what the great epics from 60s were *really* like - no CGI, green screen, but truly casts of thousands, sets the size of cities - one only needs to watch "Cleopatra" and "Ben-Hur" to truly understand what movie-making was all about (and lest I forgot, how breathtakingly beautiful Elizabeth Tayor was).

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013 7:58:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 31, 2013 1:18:18 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 2:56:18 PM PDT
R. Kenny says:
I agree with the comments about seeing "Cleopatra" on the big screen. I was able to see a 70mm screening last year in Seattle (not even a new print) and it was amazing. That is definitely the way to see "Cleopatra".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›