5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations!, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba 32C120U 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I purchased this 32" LCD TV as a "slick deal" recently, which means I found it at an uncommonly low price, and purchased it on a whim.

Out of the box, I was pleased to learn that the picture quality was going to FAR exceed my expectations. I have discerning taste, and I can say with a clear conscience that the picture quality of this set is on par with what I've seen from Sony & Samsung. The black is black, the contrast is great, and the colors really pop. It is truly a stunning picture! And completely unexpected from a set of this price range (and brand name).

I read reviews that disparaged the sound quality before I received the TV - but I was pleased to learn upon setting it up that the sound quality was fine. It's average, mind you, but not terrible. I have it currently set up in a 14 x 23' carpeted & fully furnished family room and it sounds fine. I just wish it had an "analog audio-out" port so I could hook up one of my subwoofers to it.

Besides the picture quality, the HDTV antenna reception was an unexpected surprise. It's outstanding! I don't have an antenna connected to the TV, yet it pulls in every local channel that I get on my other LCD TV (that has a highly rated Leaf antenna connected to it)! In fact, this Toshiba TV provides BETTER reception than my other TV. None of the channels "come in and out." They just work, all the time, clear as day, in high def. Pretty impressive stuff! [In the spirit of full disclosure, my other LCD TV is a few years old and might not have a great tuner. So maybe all LCD TVs have great in-the-box reception these days. Take my feedback for what it's worth.]

All in all, I'm very impressed with this set from Toshiba. I never would have purchased one of their sets if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on it, but now I've opened my mind to their TVs. They certainly did a good job with this one! Particularly around the picture quality and over-the-air HDTV reception.

Quite impressive for this price range.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2012 5:33:12 AM PDT
Mark Fellows says:
I have the same tv. You can get an adapter at RadioShack to go from the two stereo RCA plugs to a 1/8th inch female stereo plug to plug in your subwoofer. It won't be volume controlled though. You will have to control the volume by hand

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 2:33:36 PM PDT
Redroadbike1 says:
Any one that would like to hook an analog sound system to this unit, need only get a small digital to analog converter on amazon. wasn't expensive. Works great. Got a computer sound sytem that has subwoofer. Sounds great.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 10:15:58 AM PDT
Wayne says:
I also had good experience with the tuner. When I got these TVs, I plugged in a cheap antenna that came free with a tuner card I once bought for a computer. With the small antenna, I was able to bring in all local stations just fine, and with one possible exception, all the stations I got with my roof antenna. I say "possible exception" because that station doesn't always come in with a roof antenna on other sets either.

I have at least half a dozen other tuners to compare it to, but all of them are at least a year old. I'm not sure all the factors that go into it, but I can't really compare the tuner as a stand alone device since more expensive TVs have circuitry that make the TV and tuner codependent. So for things like motion blur, it's hard to attribute something to a tuner vs the TV itself so it's impossible to say how this tuner compares to others overall. But this one is pretty good.

This is a fairly basic no frills set without lots of add-ons such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon videos, etc. So without plugging anything into it, the tuner is what you get. And you get a pretty good picture for the price, and excellent even compared to high end sets from just a few years ago. For anything else, it becomes a great monitor for a cable box, dish, PC, etc. But let's not forget that TV by definition is a broadcast medium, and if you're not using the tuner, you're technically not using it as a TV.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›