4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning - Detailed - Rivals the Competition, August 27, 2012
This review is from: OPPO BDP-95 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
My review will be solely based upon the audio. While I am extremely impressed by the video, I am using a 8-year old Sony 60" LCD and frankly, don't feel that is a good enough reference unit to comment on the video. I'm looking at upgrading to a plasma soon and will edit this review when I do.

I'd give this player 25 stars if that was an option.

I have lived with this unit for a few weeks now and blown away.

My system: Thiel 3.5 Speakers, Counter Point 3000 Preamp, Counterpoint 220 Amp, Theta Digital Processor Gen 3.

Approximately 20-years ago I spent close to $4,000 on the Theta Digital Processor because I grew up in the 50's/60's on good sound systems from the start, used to vinyl and natural detailed sound. The D/A converters 20-years ago were terrible. I can't listen to generic digital units or compressed music formats like MP3. They just sound terrible.

I went from the analogue outputs of the OPPO to the analogue inputs of my preamp and bypassed the Theta. Frankly, I didn't know what to expect, but what I've heard is far beyond my wildest expectations.

My audio & video collection is vast, SACD, HDCD, regular CD, DVD, etc. I listen to every thing from Folk to Opera. I've been playing guitar since I was a child and know sound.

No matter what I throw at this player, the resulting sound is nothing short of breath-taking. There aren't enough superlatives to adequately describe my satisfaction. The sound staging, detail, accuracy, tonal quality, every thing that makes sound, sound good, is provided in spades by this player. The fact it can decode so much is a huge plus, not to mention the build quality.

In the end, if "sound" is vital to you, get this player; don't even hesitate. OPPO has a 30-day return policy if you need to hear it for yourself first. Take advantage of it, but if you send it back, I'd be amazed. It is so obvious this player was built by folks who not only understand what they are doing, but do what they do out of pure love and passion for quality sound. Bravo !!!!!!

UPDATE: July 23, 2013 - Still love the player for reasons given, however, I find the limitation of 720p for NetFlix streaming a real let down and with no update to improve this have removed a start. There is no excuse for this given the overall quality of the player.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]