4.0 out of 5 stars If you're having problems with this router...read this!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Linksys N300 Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Linksys Connect Including Parental Controls & Advanced Settings (E1200) (Personal Computers)
So, I purchased this router a little over a week ago and hooking it up was a breeze. However, I went to speedtest.net and checked my download speed...and I was supposed to be getting up to 20mbps download speed...but I was only getting around .80 mbps. Not good. I hooked my computer up directly to the cable to test and make sure it wasn't my internet provider. I got around 24mbps. So, it was the router. After troubleshooting it for a while over the phone with my brother (who is very good with computers and this kind of stuff...I'm terrible) we were about to call it quits and accept that I received a faulty router. But, we tried one last thing and now I really like this router!

If you are having a similar problem as I described above...try this.

Open up the Cisco Connect program that came with the router. Click on Router Settings. Then, under Other Options click Advanced Settings. This will open a new page. On the menu bar at the top click on Applications and Gaming. Then, in that sub-menu click on the QoS link. The very first setting should be called WMM support. If this is enabled...disable it. Save your settings. And then go test your internet speed. Speedtest.net is a good site if you don't already know another one.

I guess that the WMM setting is there to help enhance games/applications (?), but lots of people have problems with it interfering with the internet speed/causing problems. So, it totally fixed my problem...I hope that this feedback can fix others problems as well!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 23 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2012 6:25:52 PM PDT
I love you man. Really, you are awesome. Thx for fix.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:58:50 PM PST
R. Palm says:
Glad I could help!

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 12:28:23 PM PDT
This setting has improved speed for me. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 6:02:50 PM PDT
KLNguyen says:
I love you too, whoever you are. I wish I had read this when I bought it! I've been dealing with crappy speeds for 9 months and had no idea I could fix it. (Doesn't help that Cisco Connect warns you the whole way that you shouldn't make changes to the advanced settings unless you're a guru.) Many blessings upon you.

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 8:15:58 PM PDT
Chris H says:
This helped out so much. Improved our wireless speeds and got my girlfriend off my back. Thanks so much!

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 9:23:48 PM PDT
Be advised, I tried disabling WMM on my in-laws router. I did notice a .20 Mbps increase in speed but shortly after my mother-in-law asked if i had turned off the wifi. She lost her Apple iPad connection. I reenabled WMM and lo and behold she could connect again....I'm just saying.....be advised.

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 10:42:31 PM PDT
J. Lloyd says:
This worked for me. Thank you so much for sharing. less than 1 Mbsp to 22 Mbps

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 3:51:09 PM PDT
thanks for the info. my problem was a little different, plugged directly into the router the speed was good, it was only the wifi speeds that sucked.. thanks again for the help.

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 10:38:12 AM PDT
All I can say is WOW!! Thank you VERY much for your post. My wireless speed has been crap since I bought this router.I went from 14 mps to 31 mps after making that adjustment.Now I can actually play on-line games on my PS3 without getting disconnected 50% of the time! Thanks again!!

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 8:57:47 PM PDT
Bots says:
Used Ookla Speedtest before and was at 20 mbps. After doing this it went up to 38! Thanks for the fix!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›