2.0 out of 5 stars Heed the other warnings, February 14, 2013
This review is from: American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Low-Fuss, Good-for-You Recipes (American Heart Association Cookbook) (Paperback)
I bought this cook book in hopes of getting some inspiration on fairly simple & healthy recipes for the slow cooker....I was a little disappointed. I don't really understand using a crock pot for a meal that could just as easily be prepared on the stove in the same time frame. None of these recipes are really fix it & forget it....many of them have steps at 4 hrs, 6 hrs and again before serving. Also....I noticed many recipes want you to pre-cook the ingredients. I really wanted healthy recipes where I could dump ingredients in the cooker in the morning, go to work for 8 -10 hours and come home to a ready meal.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2013 2:34:09 PM PDT
A. Bowman says:
Thanks for your comments. I am looking for the same thing and you saved me buying this book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 11:41:28 AM PDT
A number of the recipes call for browning the meat before adding it to the crock. I've used recipes like this before, and the browning adds flavor but isn't absolutely necessary.

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 10:54:47 AM PST
Avid Reader says:
I agree with A. Bowman. Thanks for your detailed evaluation.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2014 1:54:49 PM PDT
Hi A. Bowman - I am looking for a similar book to the one you say you are searching for in your review from April 2013.
Have you found a suitable alternative book which contains truly long-cooking crock-pot recipes?
Thanks!
-E

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2014 6:09:11 PM PDT
DrRed says:
I never really actively pursued another search for a good crock-pot cook book. I hope there is one out there, but I haven't come across it yet in my wandering.

Posted on May 16, 2014 11:11:01 AM PDT
PLEASE - If you find a decent slow cooker cookbook that you can dump healthy ingredients into the cooker and come home 9 hrs. later, please let me know. (finsta59@yahoo.com)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2014 11:39:30 AM PST
Amani2 says:
Try skinnytaste.com. She has a large number of slow cooker recipes. Some are more involved than others, but there are quite a few that you can just dump into your crockpot in the morning. I tend to brown my meat for some things (stews), but for pulled pork, chicken, beef, etc. I don't normally brown. There are bound to be a few simple recipes in there that you would like, and they are reasonably healthy, but don't taste like diet food at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›