Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYONE's health can be improved, honestly., April 3, 2014
This review is from: The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Princip les (Kindle Edition)
I admit it's very likely that the only reason I even heard of Dr. Terry Wahls in the first place was because I have MS. This is a shame. I believe I have a responsibility to help spread the word and get the information out there. Even though I'm definitely NOT grateful for having this disease, I truly believe my loved ones, future children and I obtained the most valuable information we have come across as a consequence of my MS. I promise this is not an overstatement.

I started following an early, basic version of the Wahls Protocol the day after watching Dr. Wahls' TEDx Talk last October. I explored her website, read and listened to countless interviews, and read her first book Minding my Mitochondria- and in November 2013 I started a more strict approach to diet and lifestyle based on her recommendations. It was hard for my wife to live with these changes and have to put up with my new dietary limitations, but I did it anyway. I have to admit I did NOT really feel anything different at this point.

In March 2014 everything changed. The Wahls Protocol was finally released (I had pre-ordered since November). I gave the book a first read in less than 24 hrs and immediately had ten times more information. In this book, Dr Wahls goes into detail about every aspect of the dietary and lifestyle changes she recommends, which includes supplements, exercise, electrical stimulation, meditation, etc., and she details three different versions of the Wahls diet so anyone can find a level they can learn to live with.

This is where it gets interesting. I actually convinced my wife and my mother to read the book and follow different levels of the protocol with me for one month. Just to give it a test drive. It has been three weeks today, and the results have been noticeable:

- I have RRMS, and am still in early stages of the disease so when I'm in remission, which is 90% of the time, I have no symptoms. Or so I thought! It turns out, I actually DID have fatigue issues and brain fog! These things have probably been developing slowly inside me for years so I didn't even notice them until I they were gone! In ONLY three weeks I have felt a real change and am honestly amazed of how different I feel. I know it sounds hard to believe, but you have to try before you judge. I have been on the Wahls Paleo (i.e. intermediate level of the diet).

- My wife is a perfectly healthy 27-year-old woman. She is slim, she goes to the gym, and she does yoga on a regular basis. She never gets sick and seems as healthy as one can be except for the occasional headache. She also started on a strict version of the Wahls Paleo. She uses a Polar Loop Activity Tracker all the time, and this has showed results already. My wife went from an average sleep efficiency of 78% to 96% during the first two weeks, and stayed there ever since. She feels a lot more rested and the Polar Loop is actually measuring and showing these results as concrete data. Additionally, she used to get headaches at work about once a week, and hasn't had a single one since following the Wahls Paleo. And she also claims to feel more energetic, which is probably due to the more balanced diet and deeper sleep.

- My mother is 54 years old. She has been on the Wahls Diet (i.e. Level 1 version) for three weeks. She is also slim and works out some. She has felt differences in the quality of her sleep (non-measurable though because she has no tracking device), BUT, she has always had sinus problems and has sinusitis on a very regular basis, and always gets headaches (I'm talking two or three times a week), and these have been gone. Not reduced; gone. For the past week and a half she hasn't had one headache or one sinus problem. This is the first time she has gone ten days straight with no headaches in decades. It sounds ridiculous to say this happened because of modifying her diet for three weeks, but I swear it's the truth!

Again these are preliminary results as we have only been on the diet for three weeks. And only I have been doing the electrical stimulation, meditating, exercises, etc. But I am convinced this book can change anyone's life if you're willing to give it a try. What have you got to lose? Just give it a one-month trial to see if you feel different. I guarantee you won't regret it.

I will update this review as time passes to comment on any other progress that may occur...

----- Update March 20, 2015 -----

So after roughly a year of following the ideas in this book, I have learned a lot and really perfected my diet and lifestyle. I have now read many other books by Sarah Ballantyne, Dr. Perlmutter, Amy Myers, Jimmy Moore, etc., I have found countless Blogs and Cookbooks, and I even have iOS Apps that make my life way easier (MyPaleoPal is excellent for tracking and ideas, for example).

I started following Dr. Wahls' ideas and recommendations a year ago, and have strictly been on her Wahls Paleo Plus for a while now. I supplement with many products, and have now totally gotten used to eating only twice a day, as well as eliminated my sweet tooth! (I admit doing the 21-day Sugar Detox last year probably helped this last part). I now enjoy eating and even cooking more than I ever had before, and my entire family is still reaping the benefits from all this knowledge.

Just to detail a bit more: I follow the Wahls Paleo Plus diet, mixed together with the AIP just to make it a little more challenging. This means no nuts, seeds, nightshades, or coffee, on top of Dr Wahls' strictest protocol. I also swim every other day, meditate and work my core muscles daily, and sleep 7.5-8.5 hours every night.

Is it worth it? You be the judge: my last relapse was over a year ago, I can now bike for 45minutes and totally withstand heat sensitivity, I can swim for as long as I want to, I walked over 120,000 steps in a week last december during Christmas break (used a pedometer to keep track), I'm sleeping like a baby, and, MOST IMPORTANT: I stopped my MS medication two weeks ago (under my neurologist's supervision of course, and having sworn to go back on it if my status changes negatively). Today I feel better than ever, and that injection I used to hate and use every week hasn't been missed for one second.

Dr Wahls, through this book, gave me my life back. I don't care what other people say or think about this book, I am living proof that these ideas can work. Like I said a year ago: try it, what have you got to lose? And you can gain SO MUCH, you have no idea.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2014 8:37:08 AM PDT
ugot2begood says:
Hi: What device do you use for the electrical stimulation? I can't find a way to incorporate this part of the protocol. I hope things continue to go well for you and your family members!

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 11:20:17 PM PDT
Kris says:
Hi, I know this is not related to the book, but I am wondering how you were diagnosed. I saw you mention that you have RRMS and in the early stages- if you were largely symptom free, how did you find out you had MS? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 10:39:38 AM PDT
Rob Art says:
It was an odd I case I think but I'll write it out in case it helps:

My case started in Nov 2008 when I woke up one day and had both my feet somewhat numb. I had no problems moving them or anything, but they were numb. The feeling (or lack of) started climbing slowly and after a week and a half my entire legs and groin area were completely numb. Again, I had absolutely no trouble moving anything or walking, or even having sex to be completely open about it. Everything was completely functional, but numb. I saw two Neuros who ran all sorts of tests, MRI, spinal tap, etc., and during the process they said it was everything from Lupus, to Gillian-Barre, to MS, but in the end after running every test available, they came up with nothing. And about a month after, everything was fine again! It just fixed itself. Like nothing had happened. I paid a LOT of medical bills because I was scared, but in the end it turned out to be "nothing".

For the next five years or so, every four-five months, one of my legs would go numb. Usually the right leg, but sometimes the left. But I'd already been through something stronger, paid all the money I had to get diagnose, and knew it was nothing. So i just carried on with my life and every time the numbness came, it also went away.

Then, July 2013 came, and after taking 28 days of antibiotics for a severe sinus infection, I had a totally different kind of situation. Again, both legs totally numb (like in 2008) but this time, I had trouble walking. I couldn't walk straight... I had a limp becsuse it was like my right leg had forgotten how to walk. And, on top of everything, I had double vision... It was like my right eye couldn't coordinate with my left eye.

Again I saw my neuro and this time he said that it had to be MS. So again we went with the spinal tap and an MRI for my brain and spinal cord, and sure enough the lesions were there and the diagnosis was now pretty straight forward. We ran more sensory tests and vision tests, and everything supported the diagnosis. The weird thing is (or maybe I should say "the best thing"), again everything went away.

It's like I said- today I'm 95% symptom free. I walk normally, have a regular job, go to the gym every day (for short 20min stationary bike rides), I'm trying yoga a couple of times a week, etc.

When I bike for 30mins, I have trouble walking a bit for the next hour or so. And in my yoga class I'm the worst student regarding stregth and balance. But it's not that bad, to the point I can attend a yoga class with healthy people and not fall behind too much.

In my life no one except my parents and my wife know I have anything. Today, I've been following the Walhs Protocol for some time, my last relapse was in February and I feel better than ever, so I'm pretty satisfied with the results so far. I also read Grain Brain and am following Dr Perlmutter's supplement plan as well.

I know how scary and complex this thing can be, so really, if you have any other questions you think I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 10:42:15 AM PDT
Rob Art says:
Thank you! I will actually post an update soon after four months on the plan. I use the EMPI Continuum, it's what Dr Wahls recommends! You can find all the info on her website. Hope this helps!

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 5:29:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2014 5:30:13 AM PST
B. Daams says:
Interesting to read about the disappearing sinusitis.
Having read Wahls' book, me and two daughters turned to a suger-free, gluten-free and more-vegetable diet. We do not have MS, but we do have several little health issues which we hoped to improve. One of my daughters has a persisting sinusitis which gets worse during winter every year. She says the gluten-free diet stopped the sinusitis, and taking n-acetylcysteïne helped with that, too. For me, the gluten-free and sugar-free diet made several small inflammations disappear. Also, other health aspects improved. This all happened only after 4 to 6 weeks, so if you start you need a bit of patience.
My mother has sinusitis often. I told her about dr. Wahls and the effect of gluten-free on us, but she prefers not to believe us. Even though the Wahls theory is scientifically sound. I hope the 'regular medics' catch on soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2015 9:35:55 AM PST
sweetpea7 says:
Hi Rob, I too first heard of Wahl's a few years ago through her TEDx talk and have since watched all of the videos of her on youtube before buying this book. I am curious to know (as another reader posted) more about e-stim (which device you use, cost and if it is helping you?)
I would like to see if this is the missing link in improving my MS or is just a pipe dream...
Thanks,
Claudia

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2015 4:34:05 PM PDT
I've been searching the EMPI Continuum and i found out that it cost more than 2, 000 dollars.
Did you find it cheaper? I don't even make that money in one month.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2015 2:02:22 AM PDT
Hi Claudia,
I contacted them directly and was told that it costs about $550 and you would have to replace electrodes with use. The address listed in the resources is djoglobal.com/products/empi/empi-continuum.
Who gave you that price?
(another) Claudia

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2015 9:25:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2015 12:53:04 PM PDT
sweetpea7 says:
Hi Rob, the Empi representative I spoke with said the machine costs about $550 but others on this post have said it costs over $2000..can you clarify this? I feel that I may not have explained the model correctly since there is a big discrepancy between these amounts.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2015 11:13:15 AM PDT
Hi (another) Claudia =) ,
I've got the number from Germany - where I am - I'll call tomorrow and ask.
I found the price in a canadien online store.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›