5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful TV with a cool remote, March 21, 2012
This review is from: LG Cinema Screen 47LM6700 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 60Hz TruMotion LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I have been using my TV for about 4-days now. I know Amazon has a separate shipping/packaging review area so I won't let what happened reflect on this rating, but I do want to mention that the TV was shipped in the store box with no additional packaging or protection. The first TV arrived with a cracked screen, but Amazon overnighted another TV (packed the same way) and it arrived OK.

I bought this TV based on my experience testing one at a local electronics store. I was really impressed with the 3D quality using passive glasses which was a requirement for me (I did not want active shutter); I also really liked the remote. I found it super easy to type in the search fields and to make on-screen selections. It's very accurate and easy to use. And since the TV also has an IR receiver I was also able to add the TV to my Logitech Harmony 880 remote as well.

It has taken some time learning how to use all the TV features correctly because the owner's manual is weak, which is probably my biggest complaint. It took me a while to figure out what all the 3D setup options were and what all the selections were for. The on-screen interface is very cool and super easy to navigate; especially with the magic remote. The only thing lacking that I wish it had is Pandora radio. There must be some legal reason because when I use the TVs web browser and go to Pandora.com there is no audio. IN LG SmartTV there are a lot of free apps, including some cool 3D programing.

Picture quality is great with plenty of brightness. I was impressed that it was to my liking right out of the box. There is a short setup process when you first turn it on that lets you turn the energy saving feature on/off (I chose off) and if the TV is in a store/home (I chose home). It has no more or less light bleeding than any other LED TV I sampled, and has no light leakage. My Samsung had a more even backlighting, but that is only noticeable when it's a black screen; and seems to be a problem with a lot of LED TVs (all the ones I looked at anyway. One thing I would like to point out is that I seem to get the best 3D experience when the room is completely dark. I normally watch TV with a soft light behind the TV, but I now turn it off when I'm watching 3D. Glare also really impacts the 3D quality.

To top all of this off, the TV is one of the most beautiful sets on the market. I replaced a 40" Samsung LCD, and I was worried that this 47" might be too big in the same space; but because it is almost frameless it is only 1" wider (the Samsung had a distracting thick, high gloss frame). It has a sleek modern design with brushed metal accents. The stand is a very heavy plastic with a matching brushed metal finish.

All-in-all I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I feel I got a great price and I love the package deal from Amazon that included LG AG-F216 Cinema 3D Glasses Family Pack (6-Pairs) for 2011 LG 3D LED-LCD HDTVs and the LG NB3520A 300W Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer.

***UPDATE***

After using it a bit more I wanted to add a couple things:

The light bleeding I mentioned earlier is only noticible on the initial startup splash screen where the LG logo is on a black background. Once the TV warms up there is almost no noticable light bleed on dark scenes. I am very happy with this.

When watching a movie from a flash drive, the play, pause, forward, rewind, buttons on my Harmony remote don't do anything. I have to use the magic remote.

We watched the Immortals in 3D and the effects were nothing short of amazing. We are so happy with this TV.

***UPDATE 2***

If internet access and Apps are important to you, you might be disappointed. To me the LG Smart TV Apps are pretty much worthless. I like Netflix, Amazon VOD, Pandora Radio, iHeart Radio, and Slacker Radio. The only one that this TV has is Netflix (it does work well). The TV has a decent web browser, but when I go to any of the radio websites they block the sound. Navigating Amazon Prime VOD is just a terrible experience and not worth the effort. I will be connecting my Logitech Review back to the TV. Bottom-line: Great hardware, disappointing web connectivity.

If this were a 10-star rating system I'd give the TV an 8.5
The 3D really impresses.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2012 3:54:06 PM PDT
Froggy says:
Thanks for the backlight comment. I think the Samsungs exhibit this the worst, so I can't imagine what LG does if we're talking about the same phenomenon. I'm speaking of the backlight turning off completely when the movie fades to black (i.e. Dark Knight). Sonys (edge lit) and Samsungs are notorious for this.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:09:52 PM PDT
torres0428 says:
does tv come with just the magic remote or both remotes?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 9:38:17 PM PDT
Gkcmilner says:
It just comes with the magic remote.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 9:49:51 PM PDT
Gkcmilner says:
I only notice the backlight bleed when I first turn on the TV and the LG logo comes up on a black background. I haven't noticed it while watching a movie. Maybe I'll try Dark Knight and see if I notice it.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 7:12:47 AM PDT
cdub33 says:
Does the TV come with the Amazon app to watch VOD and Prime content? Other LG's from last year did but it seems like this one may not have the Amazon app.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 11:13:03 AM PDT
Gkcmilner says:
I just checked and couldn't find it. That's a bit of a dissapointment.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 5:32:27 PM PDT
Froggy says:
GK- I'm not sure if that's backlight bleed so to speak.... Watch the Dark Knight and see if you see a challenging black seen come on with the back light lagging. In other words the next seen will darken and the backlight will dim to compensate only you'll notice a lag. It's one of those things you have to see, but you'll notice it from that point forward.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:12:07 AM PDT
You say that the LG logo comes up on a black background when you turn your TV on. Quick question, is it black, really? Or dark gray? Because mine isn't black at all, more like a gray color.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:12:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 6:12:54 PM PDT
Gkcmilner says:
You are correct, it's dark gray. But it is the only time I notice the light bleed (upper right).

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 4:10:51 AM PDT
I have the LG model from last year, the 55LW5600, and the owners manual was just as bad as you described for this model. Thankfully, I have a basic laser printer that printed all 170 or so pages with no problem. I can't believe this TV only comes with the magic remote, the one I have came with both a standard remote and the magic. I use the magic when browsing the web, but that is about it. Overall, I have been very happy and hope buyers of this years model will feel the same after spending some time with this TV.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›