1.0 out of 5 stars Dashboard mount doesn't work, March 16, 2009
This review is from: TomTom GPS Dashboard Mount for TomTom GPS Navigators (Electronics)
The TomTom GPS Dashboard Mount seemed like a great idea... it provides a way for the GPS to sit on the dashboard and is easily removed when you park without anything permanent on the dash or window. The problem is the GPS keeps falling off the mount! The GPS has a suction cup on the bottom of the attachment but it does not stay (stick) on the mount...no matter how we did it. I finally bought industrial strength velcro which I attached to the suction cup and to the mount, which works! I shouldn't have had to do that. TomTom has had complaints about this before... they should be the one to fix it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2009 7:22:24 PM PDT
Laurie Payne says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 6:29:54 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 10:22:41 AM PDT
School Sub says:
So happy this post is up here after all this time. Just tried it and it worked! Thank you Laurie, should you return to this page for the information! :O)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2010 9:40:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2010 3:18:43 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 3:24:32 PM PDT
BitBanger says:
If you lightly wet the suction cup (with water, coffee, or even saliva in a pinch) before pressing it down, it will stick.

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 12:21:45 PM PDT
random231 says:
Thanks for posting. I, too, have had this problem with the tom tom dash mount. Worked well for a while, then kept falling off onto the floor. Scared me when it 1st happened as we were driving in Miami. Have been very upset and angry about this. Called tom tom and they denied hearing about the problem, and did send me another mount, but it did the same thing. I will give the velcro stip a try. If this works I will be happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 7:48:50 AM PST
D. Finley says:
Another reviewer found the true problem with the dashboard mount: People do not read all the instructions. Below is that reviewer's comments:
This works perfectly for me.... stays in place ... wasn't necessary to use the safety hook. At first I had trouble with the suction cup on the GPS unit adhering to the dashboard mount, but I'm glad I persevered before giving up and sending the unit back. I remembered reading a review by someone who had the same problem, and also reading one of the comments on that review that had the solution:

"Turn the dial on the back of the bracket to "unlock", place the unit on the base and, while pressing down, turn the dial to lock." by Laurie Payne. So I tried it, and by gosh it works. Works so well that I can shake the unit around like crazy and it won't come off. ;)

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 3:17:57 PM PST
You need a mounting bracket that locks. The plain suction cup bracket that came with my TomTom is not strong enough to hold the weight of the GPS on the dash. I e-mailed TomTom about this and they gave me the name of a locking bracket made by Arkon that fit my model, plus a link to buy it on Amazon. Cost about $15 and works great. Since many of the reviewers had no problems, I assume that TomTom is now providing locking brackets with its new GPS units. Mine is over three years old and the original bracket does not lock.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 6:15:45 AM PST
to all those wise-acres; where does it say which model Tom Tom that Thinker has? I just bought a new model and it has the new type suction cup which turns -- none of the old ones did and they always fell off for me. The new ones stick better but can still fall off. My never-fail solution -- mix up a tiny amount unflavored gelatin in hot water and coat the suction cup with it and then stick it on by pushing down while smear it around a little. After drying it will come off when you want it to and you can put it back in the same place by wetting the cup and smearing it around on the dried residue. I came up with this solution after finding my car in the morning with a completely dead battery -- Tom Tom had fallen off the windshield and hit the emergency flasher button on the way down to the floor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 6:15:26 AM PST
Wow it looks like you have the answer to this problem. I wasn't going to buy this product but because of your post I'm going to give it a try, thank you!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (781 customer reviews)

$29.95 $17.95