5.0 out of 5 stars It connects to PC over WiFi, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 320 HS 16.1 MP Wi-Fi Enabled CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens with 1080p Full HD Video and 3.2-Inch Touch Panel LCD (Blue) (Electronics)
I received this camera today and I was very curious to find out if I can connect it to my PC over WiFi after reading one of the reviews here.
I knew that it should be possible as there is nothing which should prohibit that if the camera can connect to WiFi. I took some pictures and then tried to play around with the camera. I do not read manuals as they are lengthy and who has time! I clicked on the WiFi option on the touch screen and I saw four choices depicted by pictures. Connect to a Camera, Phone, PC/Mac and Internet. I chose PC and then it went through the process of connecting to my Wireless AP. Just like a Mac, it figured out the Authentication and Encryption methods automatically. After connecting to my home Wireless, it automatically found out that my Laptop was "ON" and started to establish a connection to it. It failed first time, I immediately knew that the issue was because of my Software Firewall. I disabled the firewall and it failed again. I checked the Windows Firewall and it was ON. I disabled that too and voila, I was able to connect and download photos to my Windows PC. Well I knew that speeds will be slower than the hard-wired connection and Canon can do nothing about it. That's how WiFi works at present. If you need faster speeds you can upgrade you AP to support 802.11n (because the camera supports it).
This is my second post on Amazon.com even though I am a regular buyer since 2002. The main reason I thought to write this post was as another user mentioned that it is not possible to copy files over WiFi. I was a bit sad when I read that(as I had made my mind to buy this one) but I still moved forward with buying the camera as I wanted to see it myself and now when I have found that I CAN copy the files over WiFi, I thought to write this post as other users/buyers are not misguided.
Regarding the camera, I find the pictures taken from my old S95 crisper than this one but then this camera is $100 cheaper than S95(which has wider aperture, better ISO and larger sensor).
I cannot write more regarding the camera as I just received it and still playing with it. Also I do not see any issue with battery compartment as well (contrary to what another buyer reviewed).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2012 8:57:50 PM PDT
Presko says:
Very useful review and information.

Posted on May 1, 2012 9:18:53 AM PDT
Anto says:
A. Rathi "n0mad" - Is your laptop running windows 7?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 4:47:11 AM PDT
A. Rathi says:

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:00:38 PM PDT
Can you please let me know if you can download Pictures to Facebook without using your computer !! Thank you !!

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:01:41 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 7:48:30 AM PDT
Unfortunately I did not find the camera ELPH 320 as easy to "add device" as some of you. I am a network engineer and have seen many "plug and pray" devices, some easily establish a connection, this one does not. With or without the Windows 7 firewall in place the device is best used with a USB port. My advice is: If you are purchasing the unit to utilize the wireless functionality, be prepared to spend a great deal of time with it or be disapointed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›