1.0 out of 5 stars A TOTAL DISGRACE to Michael Landon! What a DISAPPOINTMENT!!, May 31, 2005
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 1 (DVD)
Even though I had read the reviews of this DVD set on Amazon.com, before buying it, I hadn't taken them that seriously, and I'd thought that the people who had left negative reviews were just disgruntled nit-pickers who can find fault in any and every little thing. So I did not take the negative reviews very seriously. Now I wish that I had.

After spending my hard-earned money to buy this set, I am EXTREMELY disappointed. I would even have returned it, if I considered it worth all the trouble and hassle.

This DVD set is a TOTAL DISGRACE to the memory of the wonderful Michael Landon.

Poor Michael would be spinning in his grave if he could see the shoddy treatment that Goldhill Home Media, and ImaVision Studios have given his beloved and popular series, in its sorry excuse for a DVD season set.

As I said, I bought this DVD set aware of, but not completely believing the negative reviews. When I first started watching the DVD's, I did not see anything really wrong, other than the fact that though my TV was at maximum volume, I could barely even hear, let alone decipher and understand parts of the dialogue. At first I thought it was my TV and DVD player, until the same thing happened on a newer model. Then I realized it was not my TV or DVD player that was the problem, it was the DVD's themselves.

Unfortunately, the problems did NOT end there, with sound issues. As I got further into the set (by the 2nd or 3rd disc) I realized that a MASSIVE amount of scenes had been cut from the episodes - more than were even cut in the syndicated episodes.

Being that I wasn't born until 4 years after this series first premiered, all the episodes of Little House on the Prairie that I've ever seen, have been in syndication. I never (that I can recall) have seen LHOTP during its original run on NBC, and only remember seeing them in reruns on TBS, and other channels. So I don't even know what was in the NBC episodes that were cut for the TBS version.

But when I started watching this DVD set, and I got to the 2nd or 3rd disc, I realized that many MAJOR scenes had been cut, even from what I remember was on the already syndicated episodes.

What I'm trying to say is that, when LHOTP went into reruns and syndication (on TBS and other channels)scenes were cut, as shows usually are, to make room for more commercials. But scenes that were there on the syndicated episodes are MISSING from the DVD's!!

We are paying good, hard-earned money to buy these DVD's, and we are getting LESS than if we had taped it FOR FREE off of TV!! This is just UNACCEPTABLE!

This set has many other problems too! There is NO scene selection feature, so you have to fast forward through an entire hour's episode if you want to see something near the end, there is no opening credit music/theme song at the beginning of each episode, only at the beginning of the disc. The sound quality is AWFUL! I have 20 - 25 year old tapes that have better sound than the crap on these DVD's. The video quality is also not that great considering all the equipment, that studios have at their disposal to remaster old film.

Some other reviewers on here have claimed that those who left negative reviews are being too picky, that we should not expect the studio to be able to release a 30 year old show on DVD in pristine condition with all the scenes intact. They claim that film disintegrates and scenes are lost, and can cause more problems if included.

To that I say, HOGWASH! There are much older shows from the 50's and 60's that are making its way to DVD with no missing scenes, and Digital enhancement and sound remastering. If they can do it for shows from the 1950's and 1960's, they can certainly do it for a much-loved show from the mid-70s to early 80's like Little House on the Prairie.

So why don't they?? Because Goldhill Home Media, and ImaVision Studios are too cheap to spend money that will eat into their profits to release a quality product.

I regret buying this DVD and the Season 3 DVD. I only hope that someday, somewhere down the line, another studio will get the rights to this wonderful series, and they will re-release season sets of this classic, with all the scenes intact, as well as Digital Sound and Video enhancements.

Maybe then hopefully I can sell these wretched sets, at least for a fraction of what I paid for them, and buy the re-released season sets of Little House on the Prairie.

Maybe someday another studio will do justice to this timeless classic, and when season sets of this show are re-released, in its entire glory, then FINALLY Michael Landon will be given the respect he deserves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2008 4:37:57 PM PST
got jesus? says:
I AGREE MATE, LOOK HOW PICTURE PERFECT THE SOUND AND PICTURE IS ON THE REMASTERED I LOVE LUCY SHOWS. AND THAT WAS FROM 1952 BUY YHE WALTONS INSTEAD OR CHRISTY. BOTH OF THESE SERIES ARE SIMILAR AND MUCH BETTER! DEVIL DOG

Posted on May 10, 2008 5:03:30 AM PDT
Thanks for the heads up. I though of buying these but for some reason the prices were always high compared to other shows on DVD. But now to know that they are LOUSY transfers on top of HIGH prices is unacceptable! I won't be buying this set thanks to your very informative review!

Posted on May 4, 2009 2:35:27 PM PDT
Jane Austen says:
Thankyou for your thorough critique of sloppy editing by Goldwill Home Media and ImaVision Studios. Thankyou for making the worst DVD purchase, many complaints will be pouring into the offices of these slobs and thieves including mine! RBH

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 9:13:17 PM PST
Chris Likes says:
i am not sure if i should open these dvd's of the little house on the prarie?
they are tv2-packs. it says lionsgate. is that the same company as goldhill home media or imavision studios?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 5:49:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2010 6:40:43 PM PDT
crsup4 says:
I found Imavision Studios on Wikipedia, apparently LionsGate acquired the rights to LHOTP after it's acquisition of Imavision/Goldhill Home Video. So it's probably the same quality DVDs as the initial release, but I can't confirm this because I don't own any of the LHOTP DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 11:46:31 AM PST
Sam says:
I tried their website and couldn't find the contact info. What's going on here? And no, I am not going to get the LHOTP dvds if the audio stinks, if there's no way to skip from scene to scene and if they cut out scenes.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 8:43:54 AM PDT
Marie Addy says:
I was ready to purchase but have changed my mind.

marie

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 4:33:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 4:34:16 PM PDT
At first look I said to myself here's another negative 1* review. How wrong I was! Thank you so much for a positive review on a very sub-par product. These people need to be held accountable. I'll watch the reruns on Hallmark. Thanks Again.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:44:27 AM PST
I was ready to order this series, but after reading your review, think I won't. Thanks for your help!

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 9:11:09 AM PDT
Yup. I too was ready to order until I found this review. Maybe they'll restore the original 35mm film and release it on blu-ray someday.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (514 customer reviews)

$34.98 $15.95