5.0 out of 5 stars This thing rocks!, September 8, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32GB Black MC544L/A (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
*This review is from someone who never owned any Apple products before, married, healthcare professional, blackberry and palm TX owner (yeah I know, belongs in a museum), I was looking for a handheld internet browser by wifi, no monthly fees for 2 years, with camera, video, and apps that i can use for my work, and put in my pocket and it led me to this device. This is therefore a completely un-technical, layman's review.

1. Delivery time: I was supposed to receive this September 10-14 with the regular shipping, but I got it today, maybe because I ordered it as soon as Steve Jobs finished presenting, so this deserves more than 5 stars!

2. Dimensions/looks: I actually prefer the "handling" of the bigger and heavier 3rd gen that I borrowed, its all smudge now without any cover, but boy! this is the most beautiful handheld device that I ever held, 4 stars for being smaller and lighter and smudgy.

3. Display: The retina display is amazing! Like reading from a glossy magazine, and yes you cannot see the pixels! 5 stars!

4. Wifi: Sync with ATT wifi - no problem, wifi in gym - no problem, monthly fees - no problem! 5 stars!

5. Internet Browsing: Hard to type in the addresses initially, but pages loads super fast (the longest was within thress-onethousand - all news channels), surfed the web with no problems,make pages bigger or smaller... this gets 5 stars as well.

6. Speed (Processor): this thing is super fast, web pages load within 3 seconds, downloading apps within 30 secs, youtube in a flash, the email attachment that opened in 1 minute in my computer took only 10 seconds! 5 stars indeed!

7. Camera: very grainy, will not use it for any important event, only for quick-I-need-a-camera moments, it will not replace my dSLR, but since it wasnt there in the previous gen, and I only use my dSLR and nothing else, this camera is still a bonus it gets 4 stars.

8. Apps for work/"work": I already downloaded 4 very useful apps for work for free! plus 5 other free games for me and my 3 year old kid, the fact that I can now have apps without an iphone/ipad is great, the fact that its free is sweet! 5 stars!

8. Video: 720p HD! And I bought a Vado HD that does nothing else! Quality is up to par! 5 stars!

Overall, I have a device that surfs the net very very fast, manages my email, has a camera, great HD videocam, great free apps for work, that looks beautiful, and is great to look at, that I got 1 week early, what more can I ask for?!!! Worth every penny and deserves 5 stars!

And it stores and plays music too?! And has facetime?! And maps?! I feel like I paid for a Toyota and got a Lexus!

Will buy another one for my kid so she doesnt have to borrow mine!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2010 3:00:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2010 3:01:16 PM PDT
R. Hamilton says:
Thanks! This is probably one of the few reviews that are actually helpful. I ordered mine on the 8th with Prime one day shipping, so I hope it comes before the eta (which is the 28th!). You must have lucked out on the shipping. :)

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 3:14:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2010 10:44:45 AM PST
How about SOMEONE talking about books on the machine? Can you book mark and return to a passage later?
Can you leave the book, listen to music, then return to the same spot you left on the book.
I have bought two machines and neither one of them will do this. I was told by the sales person that the player would do these things. I read, and read, and read and not one single review covers book playback features. My wife and I wish to share the same player and I might be on chapeter 12 when my wife may pick it up on chapter 20. Also wish to know if the player will allow manual bookmarks. Many books have some information that I would like to go back and research the point. How many bookmarks will the player keep? As mentioned earlier the Sony S545 and the Coby MP 600 will not do these things for me.
Thanks for any input. bennie@gci.net

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 10:31:19 AM PST
edproz says:
Thanks for your review. You mentioned you own a Palm TX. So do I and am considering iPod as a replacement but am concerned about transferring my Palm data to iPod. Did you do that and if so, how did it go? I have a lot of memos and documents that I use all the time on my TX as well as iSilo stuff.

Thanks,
Ed

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 2:52:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 2:55:28 PM PST
MDTenoso says:
I dont use it for reading books as much, but since you asked i opened the bible (the epitome of a book I always have but doesnt read) then bookmarked a page then closed it then opened it again and it opened to where i bookmarked it. I then exited, read an email then opened it again and it opened to where I bookmarked it. I also
played music and played a game, opened another book, bookmarked it, opened the bible again and it and he other book always opened to where I bookmarked it. Therefore the ipod that i have always opens ibooks to where it was bookmarked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 2:57:39 PM PST
MDTenoso says:
Admittedly I have never tried and I dont know if I can or if it can be done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 12:19:20 PM PDT
I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I've used MP3 players only for many years and all my music is on WMP. I decided I wanted to give the iPod Touch a try.
Can someone tell me if I d/l the iTunes software, will it automcatically convert all the music I have in MP3 and WMA into playable files for the Touch? Will it do it automatically or will I have to start it somehow? One more thing, will all the music in my WMP, still be left in MP3 and WMA format when I want to d/l it into a MP3 player?
I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 4:23:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2011 12:19:11 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 6:43:33 PM PST
beezus bell says:
this was the best review that i have read. i am so amped to get one now. i dont want a phone because i am tired of being chained to a contract. but at least if i need to text someone, i can without paying a lot of money each month

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 8:51:05 AM PST
TechReader says:
Sir, if you have prime and ordered it one day shipping, you will get it the next day. If not, your prime membership was a waste of money??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:33:09 PM PDT
R. Burke says:
It does more than that. Yes, you can multitask on this device. With iBooks and iCloud, you can go back to the page you were on even on a different DEVICE.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›