2.0 out of 5 stars Do an image backup first. You may want to go back to Windows 7., November 4, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
I installed it on 3 PC's as an upgrade. One was my office PC. Soon afterward I found out that SQL Server 2005 had issues. That killed it immediately as my real estate management software requires it. I restored Windows 7.

The second PC is a Home Theater PC. My monitor is a 72" HDTV. On that one I rely on the on-screen menu. Many times in Metro there is no way to bring up the keyboard when you need to enter text i.e. for the search function or to log in to my Microsoft account. I also found that on all three PC's I could no longer get Media Player to sync to a SD card. Explorer recognized the card but Media Player didn't. There were also screen freezes and other buggy behavior. I restored Windows 7.

The third PC is in my bedroom. There are really no issues as I never use the Metro interface. I mainly use KM Player to view recorded DIVX Movies and TV shows. No problem. I also found that I could install "Classic Shell" to bring back the Start Button.

All in all, IMHO, this software should have been released in two separate versions. Touch screen and non-touch screen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 12:55:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 1:01:17 PM PST
AJ says:
Just out of curiosity did you try running "SQL Server 2005" after setting up the compatibility mode and granting it admin rights ?

I have a few programs that would not install or work until the compatibility mode and admin rights were granted.

That isn't a Windows 8 issue it's a user issue opting to use SQL Server 2005 on a system running updated code. I'm 100% confident you did not try compatibility mode which is the point of that feature.

"The second PC is a Home Theater PC. My monitor is a 72" HDTV. On that one I rely on the on-screen menu. Many times in Metro there is no way to bring up the keyboard when you need to enter text i.e. for the search function or to log in to my Microsoft account."

Really ? How about learning how to use shortcut keys first ?

Windows key
Windows key + I
Windows key + c
Windows Key + q

Gives you full control.

The only reason I'm going around commenting is because I've been reading so many useless reviews and it's not right to bash a product based on lack of user experience. I almost didn't buy Windows 8 because of the false and over exaggerated negative reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:16:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 6:22:26 AM PST
ChicoDon says:
You're a little condescending, aren't you?

Microsoft engineers are the ones who issued the warning of compatibility problems. A Google search will confirm that.

I can't afford to take a chance on my business software until it is 100% Windows 8 certified. The software company has told me they're working on the issue now.

My 2 star rating had to do with my HTPC issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:14:31 AM PST
Bwebmasta says:
Your HTPC issues relates to Windows 8 if getting 2 stars? How?

A lot of these negative reviews I am going through seems to more of an issue with between "keyboard and chair" not paying attention to research issues BEFORE upgrading.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 8:55:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 8:59:08 AM PST
ChicoDon says:
The issue with the HTPC computer is that I'm limited to using a mouse and onscreen keyboard from a theater seat. Windows 8 is very clumsy at this interface. Right now I'm typing with an onscreen keyboard on a 6' 3d 1080p HDTV. Even though my rental property manager software is now win8 compliant on my desktop PC I won't be won't be restoring Windows 8 on any of my computers until they address the HTPC user issues. I'll say again. They should have released a desktop AND a tablet version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (2,163 customer reviews)

$199.99 $83.50