Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply constructed to barely do the job, August 16, 2005
This review is from: Bushnell Falcon 10x50 Wide Angle Binoculars (Black) (Electronics)
These binoculars cost a hair over twenty five bucks on amazon right now - you're not going to beat that deal in terms of value for money anywhere. They have decent optics.

However, don't think you're getting high-quality construction for that money. These literally disintegrated on me on a recent international trip where they were subjected to neglible abuse (they were mostly carried around in a small backpack on long hikes and sometimes tightly packed in my suitcase). The shaft that couples the two eyepieces to the focusing mechanism is held together with flimsy plastic on both ends, and one of the ends simply snapped off, leaving me with an unusable set of binoculars.

The warranty on these is laughable (you have to pay to ship these - at a cost that's well over half the cost of buying a new pair - to Bushnell where they determine whether it's a manufacturer defect and, if so, send you a repaired item in a few weeks), so my options were to buy a new pair or to try to repair these on my own. I opted for the latter.

In so doing, I took a look inside. It looks like Bushnell cut every corner possible when throwing these together. Most metal edges have been poorly milled, resulting in uneven surfaces. A white adhesive substance has unevenly and sloppily been applied inside to hold the optics assembly together. Not encouraging.

That said, I'd buy these again. Even if I burn through one of these every year due to the shoddy construction, I'd have to go a decade of doing so before I'd have spent enough to equal the cost of a well constructed pair of binoculars that gave me 10x50 magnification.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2009 4:23:45 PM PST
D. Young says:
I wouldn't be surprised if Bushnell imports these from someone else and slaps their name on it as a low cost option.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 7:19:50 AM PDT
This comment was very helpful. I am going to use mine to spot my hits on a pistol target range. I was wondering if I had wasted my money since I just bought them and they have not arrived by mail yet. I think I have did the right thing by opting for a cheap set of binoculars with a good magnification power. I think they will serve me well. I'll let you know.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 6:04:03 PM PST
Danny Lu says:
Thanks for the review. It would be great to have pictures of the inside too

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 3:42:39 PM PDT
J. Crane says:
Bushnell will repair these for a minimal fee and in some cases it could be free... You would just need to contact their customer service. I've had great luck with them repairing items. I had a 3x9 scope I used for 10 yrs they replaced for free with their life time guarantee...

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 11:30:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2013 11:37:08 PM PDT
Walter Webb says:
I bought a pair of Bushnell 7x50's way back in 1982, for $80.00. I carried them all over the world while I was in the military. They've been dropped, banged around, rained on and taken apart by a curious grandkid, and they still work perfectly. They were made in Japan and I notice the ones displayed here were made in China. That probably explains alot.

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 8:21:23 PM PDT
It seems quite odd to me that after spending only $25.00 for a pair of 10x50 binoculars, you act shocked and berate them for not behaving like $200.00 or more optics. You bought them cheap and then get mad because they are. I would really like a review on the item and not what you perceive you got for the money. Next time stop being cheap and spend the money for what you want. I can do without your whining.

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 12:33:09 PM PDT
Seriously??? Your own review states that you would have to break TEN PAIRS of these before you could justify buying a pair of equal quality optics from another manufacturer.

OK... so you broke them. How is that the fault of the manufacturer?

Posted on Dec 18, 2015 3:48:31 PM PST
Jeff G. says:
I've had mine for 10+years. The only thing wrong is scuffs on the outside. And I'm not real careful when I'm in the woods with them. They get banged around a lot.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›