5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly well done, June 17, 2011
This review is from: "War Brides" (Kindle Edition)
I'm still in the grip of this fascinating novel. I may just go back and read it again.
I try to avoid "romance novels", but the WWII setting and the friendship theme made me curious so I bought the book and was blown away! The author demonstrates a masterful ability to create a variety of seemingly authentic times and locations for her story. East End London slums, an old fashioned Sussex village, late '30's New Orleans at Mardi Gras time, and a city in Austria as Hitler rises to power. All these settings and the characters and situations they serve are amazingly real and convincing.
The story (or stories, there are several)is more about coping with extraordinary circumstances and the way adapting changes attitudes, actions and whole lives. The growth of the friendship between these disparate women thrown together by chance is mesmerizing to read about.
The various love stories are believable and satisfying although not at all the point of these women's lives.
These women live and breathe and ultimately matter to each other, to themselves and to the war effort to which they have committed. A completely unexpected treat that I'm glad I took a chance on.

One caveat: the text is very peculiar - not just typos and such but odd words and phrases that seem to be left over from an earlier draft where the author was experimenting with tenses and phrasing. Its fairly easy to figure it all out but its disconcerting and breaks concentration. Still a brilliant book though.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2012 6:31:01 PM PDT
Smashing review! Thank you for mentioning the editing problems. As a writer/ editor myself, nothing distracts me more. It's especially disheartening when the content is as good as this seems. I'll pass this time, but if readers aren't bothered by the occasional glitch, War Brides sounds both ambitious and delicious!

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 5:10:13 AM PDT
I've never read the book, but I'm finding more and more that in Kindle editions, there are typos, dropped words, misspelled words, transposed words, etc. Does anyone proofread anymore? Frustrating.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 6:01:14 AM PDT
Gandy says:
Would like to read the book but perhaps paperback wouldn't have the typos as the Kindle edition did?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:05:03 PM PDT
I find the same thing...thought it was perhaps something in transmission. Sure breaks the concentration. I'm with you...someone needs to proofread.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 3:47:33 PM PDT
How lovely to find kindred souls! I am nearly driven mad by the typos, errors in grammar and spelling and transposed words. I write for a living so those things just jump off the page at me. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my frustration.
Perhaps, if we're lucky, someone will pay attention to our complaint.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:11:00 PM PDT
Gandy says:
I haven't bought the Kindle editionof this book because of the negative comments re typos, etc. Would drive me crazy to read!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 1:57:50 PM PDT
Do any of you have any ideas on how we can get this complaint, which is very valid and hurts the sale of these books, to someone who can actually do something about it?

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 4:35:31 PM PDT
Gandy says:
After reading so many reviews that mention typos, I'll buy the book this time as opposed to reading on my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 10:16:10 AM PDT
WRB says:
Sorry, but paperback has poor editing also. The book is still a wonderful read.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 6:08:09 PM PDT
Gandy says:
Sorry to hear that the paperback has poor editing too. I would love to read this book but typos & poor editing are too distracting. I wish the publishers would hear us & re-edit the book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (7,288 customer reviews)
 (3,579)