5.0 out of 5 stars Light, small, easy to use - a tablet with a keyboard!, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
When my old laptop conked off, I needed a laptop to use around the house. I also recently started commuting by train to work so wanted to buy a small, light laptop that I could take with me and check email or facebook or read the news, surf the web etc. on the train. I also wanted a real keyboard for the occasional work-related email, so the iPad was out. When this Chromebook got announced I was pretty excited since it really fit all my criteria - light, quick to boot and so on. I received it a couple of hours back and I have to admit its really nice.

I went from box to being fully setup (including my bookmarks and extensions) within a few minutes. This Chromebooks also comes with a lots of apps pre-loaded and I also got an offer for 100GBs of storage on Google Drive. Gmail and YouTube are also installed on the desktop so the sites I use the most are right there. Overall this machine feels quite fast. The interface is also quite clean and pretty especially the background images that come with the device.

I like how light the laptop feels and that it can easily fit into a small laptop bag that I take on my commute. I could potentially leave the power cord at home as well since it's supposed to last for several hours without needing a recharge - so even less stuff to carry. It's easy to take from room to room within the house as well. The other thing I noticed is how quiet this is - specially compared to my work desktop or my work laptop which I can hear from another room! This laptop feels very different from all the laptops I have used in the past - its almost like an iPad but with a keyboard so its more useful. I am amazed at the price - this feels a lot more expensive.

Overall based on the last couple of hours of usage I am happy that I bought it. This is exactly what I wanted.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 1:51:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2012 1:52:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:52:06 AM PDT
W.G. says:
It's so quiet because there isn't a fan or hard disk drive to produce noise.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:39:47 AM PDT
When did you order your chromebook, and when did you get it? I ordered my early and still have not got a word about it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:06:00 AM PDT
LC says:
Some people bought it from Google Play the moment it was released online last Monday.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 11:33:49 PM PDT
Nibiru says:
Quote: "I also recently started commuting by train to work so wanted to buy a small, light laptop that I could take with me and check email or facebook or read the news, surf the web etc. on the train".

So, you have a WI-FI internet on that train, right?

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:04:43 PM PDT
Applebomb says:
Is the chromebook metal or plastic?

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 3:55:32 PM PDT
Mamoon Baig says:
"a tablet with a keyboard!"

I cringed... it's called a netbook...lmao

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 9:01:13 AM PDT
How about a hotspot device that plugs into your laptop or you put in the briefcase? That is the ticket!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:31:15 AM PST
Does this have a CD-rom? Netbooks usually don't.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 10:33:10 AM PDT
rayng5 says:
I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Chromebooks and was wondering if someone could help me answer a few questions. Is the Chromebook basically a an enlarged version of a Android smartphone minus the phone capability? Can I just use the browser to stream movies from sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, etc.? Or do I have to download those apps and play them from there? Can I just hook up a HDMI cable from this device to my HDTV to watch those sites? Or is it more involved than that?

Basically, what I want to know is can I stream videos from various websites using this Chromebook's browser but displaying it on my HDTV (using just an HDMI cable)? I say "various websites" because I may not be necessarily watching from Netflix or those other popular sites.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (5,366 customer reviews)
 (2,917)