1,294 of 1,500 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Gift card, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards - E-mail Delivery (Ecard Gift Certificate)
I've used the gift cards many times and my children and grandchildren love getting them.
My main negative comment is that I wish Amazon would send me an e-mail message letting me know when the recipient has used the gift card. I get a message confirming my purchase but I'd like to know when it was actually used.
Sometimes I think Amazon could charge my credit card but not send the gift card. I don't want to ask the person I sent it to, if they received it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 16 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2011 3:00:22 PM PDT
PegB says:
As the grandmother of young people who are somewhat remiss in the social graces - I too would like to know if the gift was used!

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 5:15:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2011 5:41:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 5:38:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:38:42 PM PST
Brian Davies says:
Ah! I knew I had been able to check if a cert. had been redeemed and, despite Amazon helpdesk saying it can't be done, IT CAN. Go to 'Your Orders'. Select the relevant period you want to search (top right) then add search keywords 'Gift Certificate' in the search box (top left). You will be presented with all the certs. that you have sent during that period. Each order will have a 'View Order' button by it. Press that button and you will see on the next page 'Status:'. It will be 'Sent' if it has not yet been used or 'Redeemed' if it has.

EDIT: Amazon seem determined not to allow the giver to have this information. Their pages have been modified and this information is no longer available. I wish I had kept quiet now! :(

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 2:19:15 PM PST
Gwen Hankins says:
I purchased three email, Amazon gift cards. I sent one to each of my parents-who I did not know were boycotting all internet book stores for loyalty to brick and morter, small business book stores. So they would not use the cards-period. They are in their elder years--but passionate in their cause. If I had not contacted them; they would not have known I sent them and I would not have known their position on book stores-awgggh! Anyway, the third gift card was redeemed; and Amazon customer service was great in helping me resolve the unusable gift cards! Suggestion: DO NOT SEND THE EMAIL GIFT CARDS AS A SURPRISE UNLESS THE RECIPIENT is VERY FAMILIAR with emailed gift cards AND adds amazon to their address book. Email a "letter" to the recipient and tell them to EXPECT the gift "card" and RSVP they are looking for it. It is a little more annoying to do it this way-but now my kids, grandkids and friends do not see the gift card as spam.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:43:16 PM PST
John Schaben says:
Thanks Gwen - hadn't thought about the recipient or, worse yet, their junk mail filter, possibly regarding these as SPAM. A note to the recipient just sounds like a smart move.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:41:28 AM PST
You can buy all kinds of things through Amazon, though. I use it for a lot of my Christmas shopping, not just books.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:15:25 AM PST
Brenda says:
Maybe you could have the card e-mailed to yourself then forward it to the gift recipient. That way you know it was sent and avoid the problem of it being blocked by the recipients email security features.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:18:59 AM PST
Kurious Kat says:
I'm certain that, like all other GC providers, they don't want the person to actually use them!!!

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 1:22:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 1:24:18 PM PST
nysnowbird92 says:
if you go into your order history you'll see the gift card on the list.. it'll say 'redeemed' once it has been applied to the person's account.. it's hard to miss as they only have 2 categories next to it.. one is the amount and the second is the status of the card.. so you can't miss it if the person got it or not.

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 1:43:49 PM PDT
Hadasa says:
I agree with Mr. Jansson. It would be nice to know if the cards ever get used.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (75,443 customer reviews)
 (66,783)