4.0 out of 5 stars A priest turns from superstition to reason, December 13, 2010
This review is from: Imagine No Superstition: The Power to Enjoy Life With No Guilt, No Shame, No Blame (Paperback)
Let me first say that the author has written one book but published it under a number of different titles. Even the audio book is this book under a different title. I find this somewhat disingenuous. So beware that any book you buy under this author's name will likely be this book.

Aside from sticking in some unnecessary Latin, which few people will understand or care about and which sounds and reads pretentious, this is a well-written, very intelligent book by a former priest turned agnostic turned atheist. He takes us through each step of his evolution. This is not a scholarly treatise nor does it pretend to be. It is a book of reason. In other words, you're invited to use your own reason, logic, to overcome the useless fear and guilt that is caused by religion --- all religions.

You'll enjoy this book and you'll learn a lot from it. If you're a rehabilitating believer in the superstitious, you'll find this little book a real help.

Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2012 9:01:04 AM PDT
Jean says:
Thank you for your review and the warning about his books of different titles. I am interested to read of this man's evolution from Catholicism to where he is today. I am very glad many times that I was not brought up in an institutionalized religion.

"We learn the sadness, sickness, of giving up the happiness of the one and only life we have for a great, grand, wonderful afterlife that will never be."

I am beginning to see that many atheists like Hitchens and Russell, and now I am learning of this man's writings, are writing against a 'christianity' that was never intended by Jesus Christ. There are many things said in the Old Testament that I think were only superstition, but because of people's limited view of God, ascribed them to Him. Some of the New Testament does not synch with the character of God as we see it in the life of Jesus Christ, whose exact representation He was.

I am joyful in this life, not because of thoughts of an exclusive place with streets of gold after I die, but because a way was made for me to be free of guilt, shame and superstition in this life. I think that the resurrection will be much different than we all imagine - those who take time to think about it, I mean.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (5 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01