4.0 out of 5 stars Finally they made the game better!, October 6, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game is much better than the last 2 years' offerings.

1. You can now drive to the hoop and do some dynamic shots. This is all some players can do in the NBA. Not being able to do it in the game in the past took away from the true sim feel. If you are a true sim fan then you should appreciate the game more now. That being said it does seem a little over powered.

2. Players seem a tad smarter then in the past. This should be the case every year though.

3. Dream Team! All 12 of them are in the game and on the team. That includes Scottie Pippen who wasn't going to be included during the announcement of this feature. The 2012 Team USA is also on the game. Neat bonus to have both but almost pointless as there is not game mode for them. Other Olympic teams would have been nice or at least the 96 and 2000 USA teams. Don't really care about the 2004 bronze team.

4. Menus are nicer. Soundtrack is nice.

5 Jay-Z... Not really sure why he's in the menus or what he actually contributed to the game. If you're into that you probably like it.

6. Graphics are better but not.. It's weird sometimes the graphics look amazing and other times they look really bad. Overall I think it's better but some people look like they were hand drawn and others look photo realistic.

7. There are some bugs that need squashed and I'm sure in time they will be. The score overlay during the game does disappear. It has happened to me once in about 6 hours of game play.

8. I can't speak for Online gaming or MyPlayer mode. I'll give MyPlayer mode a try in the next month or so.

9. VC. Not Vince Carter but some weird Virtual Currency in the game. You earn it for doing different things that let you spend it on MyPlayer. If this can help my make MyPlayer better I'm all for it. But I don't like the idea of having to play the game for 4 hours just to earn enough VC to unlock a wristband.

10. I'm terrible a reviews so I just made a list of what I though.

The game is just fun now. Last year it just wasn't that fun. This year it's really fun and it doesn't feel like an arcade game. Buy it.

****Update****

11. Started playing MyPlayer. It's much better than last year. Your player is much better from day one. The game is a little more forgiving when you make a mistake as well.

12. The VC is crazy. You can earn it for just about anything but it doesn't always award you after the mode is over. Play 1 v. 1 and win 150VC for playing 10VC for winning. Do a rematch or another game and earn ZERO. Play again earn 10VC for winning. Play again nothing. Play again 150VC. The only thing I can think of it has time limits on how much you can earn in a specific amount of time.

13. Design your own shoes...sorta. Now you can take one of the in game shoes and change the color and texture and save it so that it can be used and swapped out as you go. It's a nice addition to the game.

14. Call out plays via the Kinect. I find this feature more of a demo feature or wow factor. In actual game play it kind of works but it's too slow to in reaction to really be useful.

15. All-Star Weekend, if you pre-ordered or went with the Dynasty Edition then you have this mode. If you're thinking about purchasing it, I'd think twice. See if you can find someone that has it and try it out. I would not have paid for it. I received it because I pre-ordered. I'd prefer people didn't purchase it to show 2K that kind of business tactic is extremely greedy.

16. Roster Updates. Roster updates are up and going now. Previously I thought they were manual downloads but they are automatic. And better than before. Now it gives you some brief details of what was changed and adds new players with their real likeness if needed. Ex. Rasheed Wallace. Also it downloads court updates. So each team plays on their updated court. Nice feature I never thought of.

17. I went to play a game and wasn't connected to Xbox Live and it would not let me earn VC or do things that require VC such as play as D-Rose in Blacktop mode (which I mention next.) Once I signed in to Live it was all available. So if you lose your Live connection some features could be limited. I'm curious what would happen if I didn't have Live at all.

18. Blacktop mode. I've never been a huge fan of this mode but this year they made the dumbest change I've ever seen in a game. You have to pay VC that you earn to use the best players in the League. Almost every team has 1 to 4 players you have to pay VC to be able to use. That's crazy.

I'll add more if I can think of anything.

*****Update*****

Updated #16 above.

19. There is a bug that made my MyPlayer season end at the all star break. How a bug this big makes it into the final product I'll never know. I'm not sure if the bug has been patched yet or not.

[Add comment]