5.0 out of 5 stars Immersive TV viewing, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Mitsubishi WD-82740 82-Inch 1080p Projection TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
First: kudos to Amazon for using "White Glove Delivery". Two guys brought in the TV, unboxed it, set it up, made sure it worked, and took away the packing material.

Since I was replacing a 65" Mitsubishi DLP (started getting white/dead spots), all they had to do was plug in the power and the HDMI cable that runs to my receiver.

The old TV took 20+ seconds to power up, which was very annoying. This one takes about 10 seconds. (Man yelling at his microwave oven: "Hurry up! I don't have all minute!!")

The picture is huge compared to the 65" set. It makes for an immersive experience whether watching tv shows/movies or playing video games.

My TV table/stand is about 30" high, which was fine for the old set but is too high for this one. I'll give myself a chance to get used to it, but may have to buy a shorter table. The 65" TV was deeper (front to back) than a plasma or LCD, but it never seemed that bad. The 82" TV is much deeper, maybe a couple of feet.

I haven't hooked it up to the Internet yet because my Blu-Ray player already has Internet, but I'll probably hook it up because that's how you get firmware updates.

I'm giving it 5 stars based on picture quality (and size), ease of set-up, Internet capability, and past experience with the Mitsubishi 65" TV.

UPDATE, DAY 4:

Well, I may have spoken too soon. I received the TV on Monday and by Wednesday, it started acting flakey and on Thursday, I get nothing but a blank screen. I called Mitsubishi who contacted a service company in my area who says it will be a week before they can come out. Getting a bad TV doesn't bother me that much - these things happen. What matters is how such problems are handled, and a week delay in getting a tech out is unacceptable.

UPDATE, DAY 12:

If a week delay in getting a tech out seemed bad, I'm fairly seething at the fact that it will be TWO WEEKS before the tech comes out. I won't bore everyone with all the details, but both Mitsubishi and the local service rep have really dropped the ball on this. I still think the TV is worth 4 or 5 stars based on the 3 days it worked, but a TV is only as good as the people supporting it, and they have been terrible. Unfortunately, you can go to about any support forum on the Internet for any electronic device and find the same gripes about lousy support for anyone unlucky enough to get a faulty product right out of the box, so I guess that's just how things are these days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2012 7:11:44 PM PST
D. BURNS says:
Not sure I understand why on Day 4 you didn't contact Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 8:41:51 AM PST
ShoppingGeek says:
This was a product being sold through Amazon and shipped by another company. I contacted the other company through Amazon from the beginning of the trouble as Amazon instructs.

In the past, Amazon has refused to take action against their 3rd-party vendors who ripped me off, and in this case, as noted in my review, this wasn't even the vendor's fault -- it was Mitsubishi's and the local service rep's.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 7:15:05 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 25, 2012 12:18:23 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 6:00:12 AM PST
Nope. Mine looks fine.

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:43:12 AM PDT
Any further updates you can add to your review? Did it ever get fixed? How has it been since?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 12:04:01 PM PDT
ShoppingGeek says:
Mitsubishi finally sent out the needed part and the local repair guys came out and installed it. Since then it has worked fine and it has been a complete pleasure to use. Whether watching TV/movies or playing Xbox games, the huge picture really adds to the enjoyment. In a video game, you actually have to move your head around to see the whole scene. I would recommend this TV to anyone thinking of getting a big screen TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 6:22:44 AM PDT
How far away do you sit from your TV? You mentioned your table/stand being 30" high. Have you tried any 3D on this set yet? If so, is there a problem with looking up towards the screen while viewing 3D content?

I've got the 73" version on the way, and am much anticipating its arrival. I'm a little worried about the 3D quality while looking up towards the screen ever so slightly. I am guessing my head will be about where the bottom 1/4 of the screen is when looking straight forward.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:35:15 AM PDT
ShoppingGeek says:
I think I sit about 10'-12' away, but it could be a little more. (The room's being re-tiled right now so I can't get into it.) I haven't tried 3D on it. I recently saw MIB-3D on IMAX and didn't think that the 3D added that much to it, so I don't anticipate watching 3D on my TV.

I've gotten used to looking up, and I don't really want to have to buy a new stand, even if I could get one short enough, so it's okay. When you consider how many people put a TV over their fire place, which is way above their heads when sitting down, I don't think that the angle I'm looking up is that bad, though if I could easily make it lower I would.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 12:29:24 PM PDT
Thanks for the quick response! I am glad to hear that you are alright with the height. I used to have a 92" projector screen and I had to look up a little bit as well as it was fairly high up. I'm not too worried about looking up, as much as if the quality will suffer as a result. I have heard that DLP screens should really be as centered as possible for best viewing.

Guess I will find out in two days! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 12:38:54 PM PDT
I am deployed right now and my projector coler wheel just went bad i was looking at the 82 inch model and looking to get some good real world intel before i buy. So please tell me all like clarity side viewing angles and performance of tv
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (40 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $2,800.00