4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Dev 5 recording binoculars: The good and the bad, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Sony DEV-5 Digital Recording Binoculars, Black (Electronics)
I have to agree with Mary, as far as how poor Sony are when it comes to value for money with this product. My DEV 5, also purchased via Amazon, arrived on December 24th after i'd missed the previous days delivery; and I was so happy that I did a little dance in front of Mr UPS!

I actually knew that the DEV 5 didn't include a memory stick as there was no mention of one in any of the sales literature, but it was initially of minor concern to me as I already had a couple of 16 gig Produo sticks that I used with my Sony camcorder. Having given the matter further thought, it has to be said that Sony's failure to include a memory stick is a huge failure especially in light of the fact that the item costs $2,000 and has no internal memory! You would expect these things to be good to go right out of the box, without having to buy any further accessories (Part of the reason that I went for the DEV 5 over the DEV 3, although i'm sure (if they were available) that i'd be able to purchase the extra equipment that comes with the DEV 5 for less than $700, which is the difference in recommended retail price between the 2 versions). I have purchased Sony cameras at a third of the price and they have always been packaged with a memory card if the equipment had no internal memory, albeit of low capacity (4 Gig). I should probably be thankful that the DEV 5 came with a battery!

The same thing can be said of the binoculars case which has no strap. The binoculars actually come with a good quality sony branded neck strap, however once they're hanging around your neck or being held in your hands, you might encounter 'What do I do with the case?' problems when you are out and about. I actually used the strap from my camcorder case, but this doesn't change the fact that Sony have been very sloppy when it comes to the accessories associated with the DEV 5.

Anyway, gripes aside, I like the actual binoculars a lot and was impressed by the fact that they are actually quite light. The ability to record what you see is excellent and I used them in conjunction with my camcorder for those occasions when I wanted to get up close and personal with my subject as opposed to using my camcorder's 2.5 inch LCD screen. I took them with me on various excursions around Miami and the Bahamas and found the GPS/Map feature to be extremely useful; especially when viewing footage/photos at home on the included PMB software. I will probably invest in a high capacity battery and a 32 Gig Produo stick, as the case doesn't even have storage areas for a spare battery of memory stick.

If you have the money to spend, I think they are a worthwhile purchase, even if it does mean that I won't be buying expensive lunches at work for a while!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2012 3:11:09 AM PST
How is the quality of the 3D movies?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 11:57:21 AM PST
Sorry 3Dmaster, unfortunately the 3D function on the binoculars was not high on my list of desired features so I really have not paid much attention to the quality, other than by looking at some 3D footage that I had recorded through the viewfinder; and to be honest it was difficult to really notice any obvious 3D effect. I should add that my eyes are not exactly great and viewing footage on a sizeable 3D tv (which I do not have) may well improve the whole 3D experience.

What I can say is that the 2D quality is superb when played back on a decent HDTV; very much like looking through a very clean, clear window.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 6:34:43 AM PST
Aside from the fact that 75% of this review, the writer is whining about memory cards and straps... Don't waist our time. When you finally get down to speaking about the item, there is... Well "where is the beef..." useless review, sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 7:29:49 AM PST
Didn't realise that you spoke for the entire planet, when it came to 'waist'ing time, James; however I would suggest that instead of posting lazy comments that add no value you could, as others have done, simply ask me to provide feedback on some aspect of the item that you would like to know more about. It's a quite simple method when put into practice and can yield information that you may find useful.Thanks for reading it anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 1:00:02 PM PDT
Don W. Allen says:
I agree with Mr. Malcolm in response to the earlier post. I found the review quite helpful, especially about the straps and cards as it helps to know what is included. I also wish people who criticize would first learn to spell/use words properly before they call others out. "Waist vs waste..." Too bad Mr. Wilson did not follow his own advice. Those who cannot do, teach. Those who cannot teach, criticize. Thanks for the helpful review!

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 2:04:27 PM PDT
Stephen says:
And just what were you doing riding around Miami and the Bahamas with these, good sir? ;) ;) lol. Just kidding.

Great review! How are you feeling about them now, 8 months later?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 11:20:20 AM PDT
Well Stephen, 8 months on you may be disappointed to find out that this hardware has been used more as a 'Twin-camcorder' for indoor shooting than it has for any outdoor long distance recording. The main reason for this is that, shortly after purchasing the binoculars, my girlfriend discovered that she was pregnant (news that almost made me take a look at Amazons' returns policy) and future holiday plans had to be put on hold. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that the only time they got any use, up until the birth of my daughter 3 weeks ago, was to record the comings and goings of some builders we had employed to remove an asbestos flue just in case they attempted to dispose of any materials in our garbage bin instead of at an authorized tip.

Other than that I was mainly turning them on a couple of times a week, as per the Sony literature, to ensure that they continued to function properly. They are certainly being utilized at present and the fact that I can capture more action than I can with a standard camcorder is proving useful when recording a baby who is often surrounded by a number of people. Although this was not meant to be there intended purpose I am certainly very happy with the fact that I have the ability to use them in indoors and have no intention of parting with them anytime soon. The fact that so many people aren't even aware that such a product exists means that they are very much a talking point when someone new sees them; and their reactions after they get to grips with them always puts a smile on my face. Some are a little shocked by how much they cost and most think that the only reason I could want such a device is to get up to no good! :)

The bottom line:

I would still highly recommend them and when the times comes to invest in a new pair I will certainly be looking for some that have the ability to record. Hmmmm, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at night-vision capability either!

I should also mention that I still have not watched any 3D recordings on an appropriately equipped TV; it was very much at the bottom of my list of desirable features.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›