The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Nike + Awesome (with one exception), October 12, 2010
This review is from: Nike+ Stand Alone Sensor Kit (Sports)
In world where tracking the awesomeness of your run seem to be more and more imperative - actually, I don't even know what that means.

The Nike + technology includes this little device that fits in a little hollowed out area beneath the insert of your favorite Nike shoe. The device is essentially a pedometer that is pretty darn accurate. It transmits information to either a Nike armband/wrist band or an iPod nano and helps runners or walkers track their distance, time, and speed.

First, you won't feel the device in your shoe. I read a review on another website in which a nice lady was complaining bitterly about how she could feel it in her shoe. Chances are, she failed to remove the little foam patch that currently occupies the little area where the Nike + sensor is supposed to go. Once removed, the sensor will fit in that hole and is flush with the bottom of the inside of the shoe. Once you put the insert back in over the sensor, you'll never know it's there. I also read someone else indicate that they could feel a weight difference once it was in the shoe. This is, in a word, absurd. If your body is so finely tuned that you can detect a weight difference between the shoe with the device and the shoe without it, you are truly an amazing human being, and I suspect you have x-ray vision and can run faster than a speeding bullet.

The reason the product gets 4 stars and not 5 is this: The website is less than impressive. The sensor transmits information to your wristband or iPod and can then be used to track your performance on Nike's website. It's nice that you can do this. The device comes, right out of the box, essentially "accurate" for the average runner, but it can be fine tuned for those that want even more accurate results. Where the website fails though, is its inability to provide some fairly basic information about a run. It can tell you your pace at a number of graphed points on your run, but it doesn't tell you - and this is really sort of nuts - how fast you ran each mile. Rather, when you click on the point on the graph at each mile marker, it tells you your pace at that moment in your run.

There are alternative websites that apparently can provide the "rest of the story" and give you the information you are seeking, and a simple internet search will provide you with their names.... but it is rather odd that Nike hasn't fixed this aspect of the site.

The Nike+ community is, overall, very supportive and pleasant. The site is useful to track your runs, set goals, participate in challenges, etc.

I've compared the accuracy to a gps running watch and I believe that the accuracy is essentially the same. I found that I could access some of the information on the gps watch a little easuer than Nike + but, I found the gps watch to be a bit bulky. I do like how with Nike Plus, you have the option of wearing a wrist band or an iPod Nano, in your pocket or strapped to your arm. This allows users to select an option that is best for their comfort. There are adaptors available that will allow you to use Nike + with other shoe brands. I have NOT tested those.

Another helpful tip.... Nike has finally gotten with the program and made running shoes in a variety of widths. Accordingly, if you, like me, could "never own a pair of Nike running shoes" because they were "too narrow and I have Fred Flinstone feet" take another look. Now that shoes come in different widths, you will be pleasantly surprised. This means the Nike + technology can appeal to a wider clientele - like those of us that are not built like sleek, running machines.

One final note.... I took the Nike + on a hike and found that in steep sections, the device could not be accurrate. This is because you must move at a certain pace with a reasonable stride for the device to work. When hiking a mountain, you often take short steps and move slower than the device can record (or, coming down, longer strides, etc) so don't expect the device to accurately capture that kind of a hike. As for gps technology on mountain hikes, it's a mixed bag by the time you factor in tree cover, pace, stride, etc. Just FYI.

I recommend Nike + I use it, and I like it, and I've been using it for about 5 months now. As a beginning runner, it's accurate enough for me, it's motivating, in a sense, and well worth the investment. With website improvements, this is a 5 star device.

If you have questions, post them in the comment section and I'll answer.... Thanks.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 20, 2012 12:02:29 PM PDT
NikePlus says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Cannon-We think you'll be happy to know that we are in the process of creating a brand new website that will be faster, more intuitive, more motivational and built in HTML5. We are very excited to roll out the new Nike+ Running experience to our Nike+ community. Keep an eye out!

If you have any additional questions, please reach out to us:

US: USA 1-800-379-6453, 5am-10pm PST., 7 days a week
UK: +44 (0) 207 660 4452, Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm Central European Standard Time
You can also reach out to us on our social media channels:
Twitter: @nikeplus
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nikerunning/app_265092000187882

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2011 10:59:37 AM PDT
G. Pipkin says:
Does it work with a stationary bike?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 11:15:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 11:16:55 AM PDT
Cannon says:
If by work, you mean, does it accurately capture distance ridden on a stationary bike, the answer is no, in my opinion. If by work, you mean, does it function while you are on a stationary bike, the answer is yes. And, infact, I believe there are Nike + compatible stationary bikes. I question the accuracy.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 12:10:34 PM PST
Kyler says:
Are you able to track the location of a runner using this Nike+ chip? More to the point, could I put this on my dog's collar and track him using my iPhone?

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 12:11:07 PM PST
Kyler says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 3:17:35 PM PST
Cannon says:
I do not believe you are able to do that.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 12:15:19 PM PST
histomusc says:
is the sensor water-proof?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 1:16:58 PM PST
Cannon says:
The sensor is a piezoelectric accelerometer pedometer, waterproof and shock resistant....according to a popular website that would know about such things. Nike indicates it is waterproof as well. I always prefer the term "water resistant" however, I do believe you can run through a stream and the sensor will be just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:39:06 AM PST
True that it's water proof.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:40:27 AM PST
It tells you your average pace, and it tells you your fastest mile doesn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 9:36:31 AM PST
Cannon says:
Yes, but it's really odd how you don't get time points for each mile on their graph. Pace is great.....but I'd like to know how fast I ran a particularly hilly mile, and you originally couldn't determine that on their site. They have managed some software changes and are beta testing a new version that will supposedly provide more detailed information.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (435 customer reviews)

$19.00