5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Forget about this!, April 21, 2011
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
What Alice Forgot is very similar to Sophie Kinsella's tale Remember Me?, but Remember Me? is a much lighter affair (it's Sophie Kinsella after all) and What Alice Forgot is a far deeper (and longer) tale. That's no bad thing, though, as I loved both books and they both suit my tastes. Because 29-year-old Alice believes that she's happily married and pregnant with her first child, and also that she and her sister Elisabeth are close, it comes as a series of shocks to her when she realises she has three actual children and that not only does she not remember having them, she doesn't remember them period. To then learn herself and Nick, her husband, are on the brink of divorce and also that Alice and Elisabeth are as close as the North and South pole, was quite sad to read - to believe you're 29 and to suddenly age 10 years must be a pretty scary thing and Liane Moriarty managed to bring across Alice's anguish perfectly. To have three children and not even know who they are was obviously a little controversial - how can she not know her kids? - but that's the power of amnesia, it makes you forget the most simple (and important) things.

What really made the book for me though was Alice's realisation that her 39-year-old self wasn't a nice person at all. She was nothing like the 29-year-old free spirit, in fact she was the total opposite. So it was easy to see how Alice and Nick's relationship disintegrated. Alice turned into a total control freak, it seemed, and it just tore them apart. The ever-mysterious Gina certainly didn't help Nick and Alice's marriage and I was stunned at just how ferocious Nick was the first time he and Alice talked after her accident. It was clear that something had gone seriously wrong in Alice's life, something that caused her to become uptight, to argue with her husband and to practically lose contact with her beloved sister. All is revealed but not quickly. No where near quicky, in fact. A flashback or a loose mention of a name awakens something in Alice's memory and so we learn a tid-bit of Alice's life as it is now but never enough to truly hold on to. It was a very clever way of letting us all know what had happened and it certainly kept me reading.

The book is told in third-person, which I wasn't expecting, but it works well so it wasn't a problem. It's all from Alice's point of view, too. But as well as the usual narrative, there are also diary/journal type entries from Elisabeth, which confused me at first, but it soon makes sense, as well as blog entries from Frannie. All three women are experiencing troubles, some more serious than others and it was interesting to get their take on things. I particularly enjoyed Elisabeth's diary entries, they were insightful. Overall I really loved What Alice Forgot, it is certainly one of the better amnesia stories out there and I hugely enjoyed all of the 496 pages. I hugely recommend you pick this one up, as you won't regret it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2011 1:22:06 PM PDT
Mr. August says:
If the book is told from Alice's point of view, it is in first person as she is the narrator. Frannie and Elisabeth's narrative are also presented in first person.
I am in the middle of the book and I also am enjoying it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 4:41:52 PM PDT
Blue says:
No, the book IS in third person, from Alice's perspective. First person from Alice's perspective would be "I", not "she" as this book is. Or at least the sample pages are.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 5:22:43 PM PDT
Mr. August says:
The book is from Alice's perspective. When she is the narrator, speaking to the reader about what is happening to her, it is in first person. Well, that's how I am "viewing" it, excuse the pun.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 11:07:43 AM PDT
Blue says:
Well, you can view it that way if you like, but it is incorrect. "First person point of view is a point of view in which an "I" or "we" serves as the narrator of a piece of fiction. "--http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/glossary/g/firstperson.htm

This book is in third person. "The third person point of view is a form of storytelling in which a narrator relates all action in third person, using third person pronouns such as "he" or "she." --http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/glossary/g/3rdperson.htm

I haven't read the book, yet, but the first sentence in the book is, "She was floating, arms outspread..." The "she" is Alice, so that means the book in written in third person.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 11:25:09 AM PDT
Mr. August says:
I assumed that you had read the book!

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 3:06:03 PM PDT
E. Karasik says:
When you divulge this much about a plot, it is courteous to put "SPOILER ALERT" before you spill the beans for those of us who like to be surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 4:12:15 AM PDT
Blue says:
SPOILER ALERT is such an amazingly simple concept that people on here seem to have enormous trouble comprehending. I hesitate to read ANY customer reviews because of this! I'm having a discussion about this with a different poster about a different book. Though his review contained numerous spoilers, he steadfastly maintained that his review included no spoilers and was surprised that I would call him on it! I don't know why seemingly intelligent people can't grasp such a basic idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 5:55:38 AM PDT
Mr. August says:
I believe there has to be some middle ground. Many reviewers tout they hated or loved the book, poor writing, good writing, kept my interest, didn't keep my interest, etc., which gives the reader no idea what the book is about, and then I doubt if the if reviewer read the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 10:36:35 AM PDT
Leah Graham says:
I would love to know what I spoiled for you. Because there isn't anything about my review that could be constituted as a spoiler, so please do enlighten me. Just because I discuss the plot and just because my review is perhaps longer than most Amazon reviews does not mean my review spills the beans of the entire novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 11:19:24 AM PDT
Mr. August says:
Yes, Leah, after all this nonsense, I enjoyed your review.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (4,140 customer reviews)
 (2,355)