5.0 out of 5 stars I was connected to the Internet in about two minutes!, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400) (Personal Computers)
I bought this for my home theater so that I could hook up all the internet-enabled components. I used to think that when a product was Ethernet-enabled that meant that you had to run 100 feet of Ethernet cable from your router, through the walls, and to your components. That sounded messy to me so I always looked for WiFi-enabled products. I initially thought about buying a bridge instead but my understanding is that the Powerline adapters were faster since they are a wired connection. I can't verify that but that is what I was told so double check.

I was also told that for the Powerline adapter kit to work, both outlets must be on the same circuit. I don't know about you but I am not an electrician and I really do not know what this means. So I just crossed my fingers, bought this product, and hoped for the best.

The product contains two adapters; one that you plug into an outlet by your router and another that plugs into an outlet wherever your other equipment is located. You also get two Cat5e cables which I find to be a little on the shorter side so you may want to buy a six foot or longer cable. There is no instruction manual included just a small diagram. Honestly, you don't need an instruction manual because the four-step diagram really sums up the installation process.

Here is what you do:

1. Plug the single port end into an outlet by your router
2. Connect it to a port on your router
3. Plug the other port near the other equipment
4. Connect this port to the port on the equipment

That's it, no settings to change and you will be online (assuming both outlets are on the same circuit.) All I had to do was go into the TV menu and perform the "connect to internet" setup and the TV recognized the signal right away.

I highly recommend you spend the extra few bucks and get the four port version because you never know when you will need the extra ports.

Regarding the circuit breaker issue. My understanding is that the kitchen and the bathroom are on different circuits from the bedroom and living room. Apparently my bedroom and the living room are on the same circuit so perhaps that might be the same for a lot of other people.

I'm glad I found out about this product instead of just buying an overpriced WiFi adapter for my TV or buying a more expensive Blu-Ray player with built in WiFi. A wired connection is best so try that first before wireless.

This is such a cool product and I think you will agree. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: 6-month update 1/9/13: I have never had an issue with this unit since I hooked it up. The signal and performance have remained strong!

[Add comment]