Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

4.0 out of 5 stars Growth, familiar but new., May 15, 2007
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
About the packaged kit later.

About the music:

This CD is what I would call the equivalent of an acoustic or live CD. Less distorions, less electronic sounds, more hard guitar, more real instruments or real instrument samples.

The band made over 100 starts of music for this CD, and chose these. Every song is well mastered. I respect an artists' choices of expression, and realize that people are not static-- they grow, change, learn, age and evolve. This is a perfect evolution. No jumping from monkeys to humans here, its easy to see how they got to this place. They said they intentionally tried to abandon everything that was "comfortable, easy and they'd done before". That's clear.

Its clear here that LP has done what they wanted to do, and not what they "thought they should do". Yet they prove that they can still be what they were (track 2, example), and chose not to be that. Bands typically take one of two routes-- replicating exactly what they've done to make more cash, or doing what they feel, to be a real artistic group. They are being real artists here.

I feel influences here that I haven't heard before-- Metallica, U2, Coldplay a bit, some NIN like beats in one spot, a small Blue October feel with some more calm introspective stuff that I haven't quite identified yet. It's all good. No bubble gum pop, no 80's hair band stuff. Some incredibly hard stuff, some very revealing stuff.

I found myself liking the stuff that was most atypical because its like getting to see the other side of someone you feel like you know well. Deeper, different, and thought provoking.

In this CD Chester is more able to do his thing. Shinoda is more able to do his thing as well. Shinoda isn't limited to his 5 second hip hop responses to Chester's chrous. That's refreshing that each gets full time to do his respective thing.

It was said that each member of the band contributed just as much as the others during the process of development of tracks, where previously it would be the Shinoda & Chester. It's clear that others had more input.

I'd almost say this CD could be considered a "Prequel". I think had the band had the full freedom to do what they wanted, their first CD may have sounded like this.

There is a marked uptick in the curse factor. I know how difficult it is to refrain from that, and with the first two instances I smiled and chuckled, becuase I had a great feeling of release for them. Be real and let it all out...

I have only had it one day, so I'm refraining from making an outright "AWESOME!". It definitely doesn't suck, I wouldn't even call it mediocre. It's good. I just don't know if I've had enough time to discover how good it is.

I don't like artists who sound exactly the same on every album. Those are the ones who get a single play, and get put away. I don't expect people to not evolve. Its like going back to your home town and expecting your old friends to be who they were "back then". "Back then" isn't anymore.

The packaging: Very _very_ nice book looking booklet with the DVD of PCM audio, interactive stuff for the PC including MP3's so you don't have to extract. Images, PDF of the album book internals. More.

I always buy every LP CD, because I respect them as a group. They do their own artwork, and I really appreciate that as well. I take it in as their conveying an artistic message. I listen, chew it up, think about it.

If you are one who listens to the words, you will definitely not be disappointed here. Lyrically, as good as ever.

[edit in, a couple days later]

I can't put the CD down. I am really liking it, a LOT. If I could change the 4 star to a 5, I would do so. I think a lot of people who have been reviewing the standard CD could really benefit from the video on the DVD about the making of the CD. It really makes it all make sense.

The only additional comment, is that I still really like the new totally different introspective slower tracks. I also really like stuff like track 2. I wish they would have released a dual disc set here-- one CD of hard hard stuff, a CD of the introspective slower quieter stuff. That way, instead of a roller coaster of emotions, you can "get it out" whether you're feeling the need to rock, or to chill.

I want more of those 100, soon. I feel like I want to encourage them to really push the fringes with the house beats on a couple tracks, the slow almost beatless tracks, and the industrial beat/80's Police style beats mixed 50/50. Great stuff.

[Add comment]