Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

1,169 of 1,212 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Dyson DC35 in a word: AWESOME, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Dyson DC35 Digital Slim Multi floor cordless vacuum cleaner (Misc.)
First ever Dyson product and we absolutely LOVE IT. Read all the reviews, blahblahblah, took the plunge and ordered it. After about a week of use, here's my take:

- Suction is great. Don't know what planet the people are on who say it's lacking here. Oh, and BTW: Vacuum varies based on elevation, so if you live at like 9,000' yeah, ANY vacuum won't suck (or will suck, depending on where you're coming from).
- Overall design is fantastic. Smart, smart, smart. Dyson obviously puts a LOT of thought into their design and I, for one, appreciate that.
- Trigger: So I was concerned about this. But it's fine. Actually, it's (look for the theme, here) SMART. Why? Because you're looking at about 15 minutes runtime. Which is plenty. But the trigger forces you to turn the damn thing OFF when you move to another room, put it down to move a chair, whatever. Think about it: They put an ON/OFF switch and some dimwit will leave it on when they walk off to answer the phone, check on Fluffy, whatever...and when the battery runs out they will be the ones to gripe. So the trigger is fine. No sweat.
- Maneuverability: This thing will go ANYWHERE. Whatever it "supposedly" lacks in anything else, it makes up for in ease of use and the ability to get into small, strange places.
- Cost: Yeah, it's expensive. So are luxury cars and you generally get what you pay for. Given that this thing improves my quality of life I am MORE than happy to pay the price.
- Accessories/Mounting Plate: Again, smart and very minimalistic.
- Battery life: OK, so I live in a smaller home, about 1,600 sq. ft. and while I have yet to run out of juice I can understand how if you lived in a big house this might be an issue. Not sure what to tell you...either get a corded one or just vacuum for 15 minutes at a time. I read a review where a lady said "Life is too short to spend more than 15 minutes vacuuming." Well-said, lady. Well-said.

I have used this thing nearly every day for three reasons: 1) It's just cool. 2) I am consistently amazed with the stuff it picks up. And let me tell you, we keep a clean house. That said, I dump the canister and just shake my head. 3) When something is easy to use, you're more likely to use it. Being cordless is just the way to go.

So by now you are sick of reading so let me just tell you that the Dyson gets two big thumbs up/5-stars from a hard-to-please, penny-pinching skeptic of a consumer.

UPDATE: We purchased our DC35 in March 2011. I'm writing this in January 2014. So almost three years has elapsed. The little DC35-that-could has cleaned our house a gazillion times . It's cleaned cars, lamps, and as of 1/2012 carseats (!)...you name it. Such a great tool. And then (drumroll), it happened: for no reason, when vacuuming over carpet the brush head stopped spinning. Oh man! So I took it apart, removed 1.7 million miles of hair and string and whatever, and figured that was it. Well, no. It still had plenty of suction and the brush would spin on smooth floors but not on anything with texture, like it used to. And I have to say I was bummed...but not completely because we had used the heck out of it. And I figured buying a part or paying for a repair would be reasonable. Because otherwise it acts/looks new.

So let me tell you about some awesome, Zappos-quality customer service. I emailed Dyson at their generic "questions@dyson.com" email address (or something like that). Honestly, I didn't expect anything but a canned reply telling me to call them. BUT WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, within 24 hours I got a real live reply, very courteous, asking for the serial #, purchase date and contact info. Fair enough. Again within 24 hours I get an email saying "We're very sorry for your trouble, the part is on the way." And that's it. No run-around, no hoops, just straight-up fantastic customer service that took a grand total of 2 emails.

WOW. So the part isn't here yet, but I fully expect it to fix the problem and we'll be back in bidness for another zillion or so cleanings. That is how you do business, and that is how you retain customers. I don't care a whole lot about the part breaking, because things break. I care a LOT about how I was treated, and in this case it was awesome. Thanks, Dyson!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 6:54:02 AM PST
Great review, you should be the Dyson spokes person. I would not mind spending the money after reading this. Honest and simple, everything has a flaw or two but you accept it for the numerous benefits!
Thanks

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:02:42 AM PST
Woody says:
Love your review, I think you just convinced me, a Christmas gift to myself???m Why not

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 12:10:53 PM PST
Rik says:
Excellent review. Nice call on the trigger. I was thinking the same thing ... and not just for distractions. Frankly every time you move it, even a little, to another spot you would be likely to let the trigger go. That's the point. Throughout a cycle all of those small trigger releases would add up. Even the conscientious user that would turn a vacuum off when the phone rings or to move the cat might not just to move from spot to spot and place to place. Well done! Looks like you covered everything else as well. I am comparing this with the Hoovers Linx which utilizes a similar battery, similar life and charge time and seems to perform well. The Hoovers is about half the price and includes an interchangeable battery. But the Dyson seems more flexible and can be converted to a hand vac while the Hoover sells a separate hand vac in the same line. Leaning towards the Dyson now based in part on this review.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 12:17:21 AM PST
So did this Dyson DC3 replace your main vacuum? I am thinking about it. Thanks :-)

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:33:01 PM PST
D. D. Hynes says:
Love my bigger DYSON, but cannot always get it out for some of the smaller jobs -- so, out comes the prehistoric broom and dustpan..... This slim one looks like just the ticket. Thanks for responding to some of those little "cons" that other people seem to think are big deals. In the big scheme of things, they aren't important. Does it clean, like a DYSON, and is it easy to use? "YES" seems to be the answer. Thanks, Matt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 1:24:52 PM PST
Matt says:
Well...yes and no! We kept our big, bulky upright thinking "well, for deep cleans we'll drag the thing out once a year or something." But the DC35 works so well we haven't had to! I need to throw the upright away but I haven't.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 5:36:55 PM PST
Consuelo says:
I was completely impressed by your review. So impressed that I actually found myself taking the time to commend you on it. I appreciate the honest, balanced review. Finding that balance of giving a reasonable person review with realistic expectations is very refreshing. Thank you! Keep up the great work! =)

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 5:32:29 PM PDT
Love your review. I just ordered one and I can't wait to use it once it arrives. Thanks for the great review!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:02:43 AM PST
I ordered this vacuum and was extremely dissapointed !. Its too heavy, ackward to hold in one hand and the trigger mechanism is for the birds. Yes it has good suction, and the use time is fine, but its like using a heavy piece of eguipment. Its was returned after three tries. I would not recommend this even to an enemy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:06:18 AM PST