4.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S01US 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7-3615QM Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Silver (Personal Computers)
I recieved this computer today and let me tell you exceeds my expectations! Just to expand on the specs:
from the box:
Intel Core i7 3615qm - duh
300nit screen
Nvida GT640m Gddr5 1Gb_hybrid
6GB memory
750GB HD
Intel 6235 Wirless and 4.0 Bluetooth

I immediately replaced with a SSD and this thing is blazing! I also own the np700z3a-s06us which is the slower 14inch model but worth every penny! Also to note it appears they fixed something with the track pad because it is a billion times better than the one on my np700z3a! Glad I went with these Series 7 Laptops from Samsung, Thin and Light... Beautiful!

Update: I did have a slight issue with the screen having a defect, dark spot along the edge. I noticed it after about an hour, but Amazons awesome customer service had me a replacement at my door today! This one looks better, I know the display is a deal breaker for some but I encourage you to check this system out before you buy if you can, I think you will see it will be far past 90% of people's expectations. Although, being very computer savy and deep into the tech world I do have to agree that this screen coming from the top High Def TV manufacture is very disappointing. This for me is not the deal breaker; I think it's still hard to find a package that provides a thin sexy platform along with still having a optical drive with excellent battery life. Along with the third gen intel i7 this machine is incredible in the performance category.
I still give samsung 5 stars for this laptop but if I could they would get 41/2 for the display!

Update 06/13/2012: OK reducing my rating to a 4 star review because of some reliability issues. Maybe its because this is the first run of the third core edition? First time it was the screen not its the DVD drive. When I received the second unit everything appeared to running AWESOME had zero issues until today. I decided to load a program from a cd media and found that the drive was dead. I thought maybe just my cd nope i tried everything and nothing. So Im waiting on my second replacement, I still have faith in Samsung and this particular computer because I own the 14in version and it is ROCK SOLID! So I am reducing my rating to 4 stars because of my personal experience and the display as i mentioned earlier. I think third times the charm! Fingers Crossed!!!

As an added kudos for Amazon, I have never had this many problems with an item before that i purchased online, but Amazon has got to be the most efficiently and helpful company I have ever delt with even in brick and mortar stores. THANK YOU AMAZON FOR THE EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2012 9:23:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 9:26:39 AM PDT
J.R. says:
Could you tell me if this is a matte or glossy screen and what the resolution is? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 5:03:27 PM PDT
Matte

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:26:16 PM PDT
The screen is unfortunately a deal breaker on this laptop. Firstly it's NOT 1080 HD, it's actually 1600x900. I've seen it in person and the screen was very dull and blacks was dark-grey. Move your head side to side and up and down and it's really bad.

I know two people that bought this laptop and have already returned it because of the screen. I've been waiting 6 months for this Ivy series 7 and needless to say I'm completely devastated. It's perfect in almost every way except this stupid screen.

Reluctantly, I'm probably going to have to go with the Asus N56VZ-DS71. I can't wait around forever for Samsung to get its act together and include a decent full HD IPS display.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 6:22:33 PM PDT
For me no big deal

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:05:24 PM PDT
LonelyMoon says:
What brand of ssd did you install?
How about heat? I think i read somewhere that series 7's ventilation is not good enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 4:10:35 PM PDT
Rdawg says:
I installed a Corsair Force GT 240GB and a 4gb chip of 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance. I believe you can even upgrade this machine up to 12gb with an 8gb chip (4gb is onboard). Heat hasn't been to bad, using the speedfan app my system temp stays around 50c and the chip cores hover around 30c. GPU is around 42c.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:24:12 AM PDT
J. Shipp says:
Thanks for the good review on a very new product. Please keep us up to date on your experiences with the Sammy. I, too, have been waiting for the Ivy Bridge Series 7 15.6", hoping for an improved display.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:30:22 AM PDT
You're the review is the only one that could confirm whether it was a DDR3 or GDDR5 on the GT640m for me. I'd been looking everywhere for which memory was used (according to notebookcheck.com there's a definitive difference between the two).

How did you find out the memory type?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:32:35 AM PDT