Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

2.0 out of 5 stars I Waited For THIS??, September 30, 2009
This review is from: An Echo in the Bone (Outlander) (Hardcover)
So disappointing. I don't think my star rating would be so long were I not an addicted Outlander fan.

Claire and Jamie are the reason I fell in love with the series. Where the heck are they in this book? If I wanted to read about John and William, I would read Lord John's series.

I don't want a bridge to another series about different characters. If you're done writing about Claire and Jamie, then finish their series and start a new one for the new characters. It's as though the author spent the last few years working on 3 different books and then thought, "Oh crap, I'm supposed to be writing an Outlander sequel", combined the seperate books she'd been working on, and hastily wrote Claire&Jamie portions to *try* to tie it all together.

I'm very sad. I feel like I've been waiting years for a reunion with long-lost friends only to find they've skipped town and sent their cousins to meet me instead.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2009 10:04:29 AM PDT
Siovhan says:
Yes, I did want more Jamie & Claire. I also noticed that there 'love' scenes were rather rare and in no way as HOT as some of the others (I remember a particularly HOT scene in ABOSAA where Claire was hanging half out the window, held only by the o-so-powerful arms of her ardent lover, Jamie! I missed THAT kind of intensity and passion!). But I think all that was hinted at in this book will come into fruition in her next... and OH, I HOPE it will be worth the wait!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2009 7:48:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2009 3:09:13 AM PDT
I felt the same way, it was as if Ms. Gabaldon got confused and forgot which genre was writing in. historical, modern and or her own "genres"" Jamie & Claire, Lord John, her modern spy-thriller? I enjoyed this book, and was rather glad it was easy to leave due my crazy schedule, but I've NEVER been able to leave a Gabaldon-Outlander novel easily before, and I'm not done reading it yet, but here I am reviewing instead of reading. WHY? Because, I've been bored through most of the book, and now I'm finally interested, but I'm scared the next switch will leave me dry again.....I'm both loving and VERY disappointed in the book. IMHO, I think Gabaldon has become bored with her Outlander characters and is just working to complete her contract.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2009 3:08:15 PM PDT
It feels like she is very interested in research and the craft of writing, and no longer really cares about the story itself..if that makes any sense? I think as we've moved along in that story, that's become more and more the case. Most of us really just care about the story and don't give a toot about the different style experiments we're ginuea pigging. The more "skilled" and well researched she becomes, the more the story itself seems to suffer.

I guess it's a testimony to the power of the first three though that I keep coming back here to see if there's more company in my misery. I really feel like the ending was done on purpose in an almost spiteful way..I've seen it mentioned more than once that she wanted to make sure that no one would think this was the last book, like some mistakenly thought A Breath of Snow and Ashes was. Interestingly enough, that book was excellent. I know this is HER work of art, but doesn't the author owe at least a little respect to the fans who have supported her for so many years?

Rant rant rant :-D

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 2:04:57 PM PDT
I must say I agree and am really dissappointed in this and yeah, she is bored with her characters... Too bad....

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 1:22:08 PM PDT
simona b says:
Thank you very much. You have expressed so very vividly your impressions you have convinced me..I've loved this saga too much to face disappointment. I will wait the next book to see if the author can make us understand what she meant with this one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›