5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this first!, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body (The Build Muscle, Get Lean, and Stay Healthy Series) (Kindle Edition)
I am a long distance triathlete marathoner that was sidelined due to a running injury and was looking for a good book on weight training. I did a search on Amazon and this book stood out among the rest because it was specifically written for women beginning strength training/body building and few good books exist. What surprised me the most was when I received an email from the author asking me if I had any questions about the book or training. At first I thought this can't be a real person but it was. Michael Matthews is a very generous person who really wants to help you by teaching you the most effective method to get leaner and stronger.

Mike's straight forward no-nonsense nuts and bolts approach to weight training appealed to me. Through his personal trials and errors with his own journey in body building, Mike tells you what you should do. He gives you a training menu, supplement advice and a diet guideline. 5 days of less than one hour per day of weight training and 3 hours of cardio per week is all you need. I am new to this whole world of body building and it's my first week, but the program and eating is so far easy for me to follow. Eating right and lifting heavy weights seems to be the important key to reach success.

I am enjoying the gym for the first time after I quit going years ago because I got bored and saw no results. I have a specific goal to transform my body and see the same gym members from 9 years ago doing the same routines with no visible results. My target is to build upper body strength and muscle, make my legs stronger, get rid of my mini muffin top on my backside and have a power butt. Don't let your husband, trainers or hulks at the gym intimidate you from trying to use the men's machines at the gym which women often are afraid to use fearing that they will bulk up with big muscles which is nonsense. It's never too late to try something new at any age. I am 50 years old and it has been a personal dream of mine to do some sort of body building like this since I was a teenager. Since I bought this book, I am having fun doing something new and different from what all the other women here in Japan are doing at my gym.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2013 1:01:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2013 9:40:48 AM PDT
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :) And that's awesome you've started the program and are enjoying it! Keep up the good work, and you can totally achieve your goal! Only a matter of time!

Do well and email me anytime if you have any questions or run into any difficulties.

Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 8:35:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2013 7:52:53 AM PDT
Brioche says:
I am having great success after 3 months of training following the weight training menu. I was skinny fat having done way too much cardio which had pretty much shut down my muscle growth before I started "Thinner, Leaner, Stronger." With Mike's program, I worked out at the gym Mon - Friday with 3 cardio HIIT sessions per week. The first eight weeks were the hardest - changing my eating, going to gym almost daily and learning how to lift, after that it gets easy. You don't want to miss a workout and don't crave unclean foods. I have become friends with the muscle meathead guys at my gym, they are lovely people to be with and show me all sorts of things. I am lean now with nice muscle tone. My back mini muffin top is completely gone, cellulite on upper back thighs is gone, abs are exposed, nice shoulders and biceps developing and my power butt is growing every week from squatting. All you need is barbell squats and lunges to fix up your butt I promise, forget about hip thrusts, weighted step ups, stair master and all that other stuff. Every time I see a mirror I am amazed at how much my body has transformed. People are asking me what kind of training I am doing. I usually struggle to find one bikini that fits me and now all fit and I can't decide which one to buy. Age is just a number and you can have a great looking body at any age if you willing to train hard and eat right. It's not as hard as you think to accomplish. I plan to keep on going with this program for one year and compete too :)Thanks Mike! I just don't know what else to say! This book is a true gem! Mike is one of those people who truly wants to help you out. It would have been a shame to not discover this book and not have my dream body to enjoy for the rest of my life!

Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body (The Women's Fitness Series)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 9:45:02 AM PDT
You rock Lee. Your success story will be up on the site soon, so if anyone viewing this wants to see her progress, head over to muscleforlife.com and look for "Lee U." on the successes page. It's pretty amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 10:14:38 AM PST
HappyGoLucky says:
Hello,

I just got your book today and I've already read 8 chapters! I've been in the gym for years...athlete and blah blah blah...lost weight then gained it back double-time. I am excited to keep reading because so far you have laid out all of the info that I have studied for years, in simple and easy to understand language!! I'm a little nervous because I read ahead and saw that your plans go up to someone who is still not too much overweight. I have quite a bit of weight to lose. But I lift, do cardio, play tennis etc.. I'm not in great shape but I'm also not completely out-of-shape though I am a bigger woman. Long story short, is this still going to be beneficial for me...as in the numbers...should I go down to 1,500 calories or is that not going to be enough and keep me having the slow metabolism? Those are the things that confuse me the most....cut calories to lose but yet don't eat enough and you're storing...
Hopefully, I somewhat make sense?
But I love lifting and love that you confirm to be lifting HEAVY!!

Ok, back to reading.......

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 8:32:36 AM PST
Thanks so much! I'm really glad you're liking the book.

No worries on needing to lose a bit of weight. I have a dietary formula for that and if you have any questions you can shoot me an email and I can help you sort it out.

We will probably start you a bit higher than 1,500.

Talk soon!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2014 4:52:24 PM PDT
Kit smith says:
hi,
I'm looking to build long lean strong muscle and no bulk. I've been a soccer player for many years now and have thicker thighs, anyway I'm no longer in soccer and now have a layer of fat over them will this book teach me how to replace that fat with lean strong muscle? Im 5'8" and 126 lbs so I'm what they call "skinny fat".

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 10:37:43 AM PDT
Yes definitely. You're in a great place to start this program.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 1:26:51 PM PDT
Kit smith says:
Ok great thank i wasn't sure if this was a program where women want to become very muscular with bulk or a program to become very lean and have defined muscle.You've put my mind at rest will definitely be purchasing your book. Thanks again for a quick response!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014 1:07:29 PM PDT
YW! No this is not for bodybuilders. Just women that want to be lean and strong. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2014 11:00:13 PM PDT
Mila Desind says:
Mike, I am already defined and in many people opinion lean. I would like to build more muscle though and loose some fat. is this book for me?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›