Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST DUMBELLS EVER!!!!, November 4, 2008
This review is from: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) (Sports)
I was torn between these and the PowerBlock dumbells I kept reading about. I had a chance to check out the 2008 and prior model Bowflex Select Tech's at Dicks Sporting Goods, and I remember thinking about how easy it was to spin the dials to adjust the weights.

My only concern and hesitation was that a few reveiws mentioned the possibility of the weights rattling and people were worried they could fall off? I had not heard this before, so I researched it more and although the PowerBlock dumbells had gotten good reviews, I simply could not get past how ugly they were, and the fact that they used a magnetic pin to hold the weights in.

I decided to spend the few extra dollars on these 2009 model Select Techs (assuming any prior issues they may have had were corrected) and boy am I glad I did, they are AWESOME! The dials, in my opinion, are ten times easier than the magnetic pins of PowerBlocks, and these Bowflex dumbells look ten times more fashionable (our gym equipment is on our loft, so yes my wife and I have a style standard). These dumbells are about 15 inches long, but neither of us have any issues with their size (I think the PowerBlocks were only a 3 inch difference anyways).

We are 100% happier we bought these, and we bought the stand from Amazon to go with them also (it is better for your back if you lift dumbells from a standing position instead of from a squatting one). I hope you enjoy your SelectTechs as much as we enjoy ours!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2009 11:13:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2009 11:21:17 AM PDT
Tommy Boy says:
While I appreciate your thoughtful review, I must caution you to the fact that it is not necessarily better lift your dumbbells off of an elevated platform. in fact, it can cause significant issues with your low back and pelvis if your not careful. you are much better off lifting from a position with each dumbbell at your side, knees bent, back straight, neck neutral and with your core activated. This is unfortunately one major drawback with this dumbbell, the increase in its length with cause a greater lever, and therefore alteration in ergonomics with the lift in general.I am a physician and I specialize in sports medicine so please, don't this advice lightly and be careful! Wow, that sounded quite arrogant! Sorry, I just meant that I see a considerable amount of injuries in my office that occur from improper technique, be careful and experiment with different types to see which product fits your build and conditioning level. Lastly, leave the weights on the floor when working out!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2009 7:29:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2009 7:30:20 PM PDT
Beamer says:
I appreciate this response as I am considering these type of dumbbells and needed to understand if I should purchase the stand or they were unneccesary apart from aesthetics.

Somehow without having a professional opinion I was taught to lift as you were advising but the form in your explanation also provided clear guidance.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2009 8:51:32 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2009 1:11:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 23, 2013 2:37:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 25, 2009 1:48:02 PM PDT
ADRACH says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 8:11:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2009 8:11:56 PM PST
TaiPan says:
Adrach, did you even bother to read (or at least hit the link) to "Just Steve's" other reviews BEFORE you made such an rancid, unfounded statement?

Steve has written reviews on everything from Weights, to Bamboo Party Lights, to Portable DVD Players, to TV Remotes to Tie Racks...

... Does "Just Steve" work for ALL THOSE COMPANIES TOO?

He obviously only writes reviews on stuff he really likes... Attempting to help people with their buying decisions... Unlike YOU.

Research before you make such ridiculously useless comments next time! Quit wasting other people's time.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 7:08:56 AM PST
"ONLY a 3 inch difference.."

is what killed these dumbbells for me, if they are, in fact, 3" longer than PowerBlocks. I have an old set of PowerBlocks, and one thing I would change is to make them a little more compact. The length can sometimes alter the range of motion control in a negative or less than ideal way with respect to a few exercises. I couldn't imagine dealing with a 3" longer length! Again, doesn't impact all exercises, just some. I guess each has to make up their own mind if this is a deal killer. It would be for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 6:55:49 AM PST
You can't leave the weights on the floor while working out because you have to have them in the stand to adjust the weight

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 10:33:46 AM PDT
JC says:
These dumbbells are HIGHLY dangerous. PLEASE READ THE REVIEWS WITH ONLY 1 STAR. The plastic pieces on the weights break off easily meaning that that the weight plates can easily fall off when in use. Some people have been hurt. I had the same thing happen to me. I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 10:16:15 AM PDT
PowerBlock weights have the same type of complaints against them as these Blowflex weights do. In fact, PowerBlock actually has far more complaints. People have come to realize that the heavy expansions in the PowerBlock weights do NOT have the ability hold all that weight with just one magnetized plastic pin.

PowerBlock also does not honor warranties; even if the product is just several days old! I placed a custom order for PowerBlock products at a local store, but Mr. Lance Goodman of PowerBlock (National Sales Manager & Owner) specifically told me on the phone that he was NOT going to allow me to exchange a product unless I purchased another PowerBlock product at the same time!

I wish I had bought the Bowflex weights, simply because you can adjust the weights in 5 pound increments very easily. With PowerBock weights, you need to adjust the weight in 10 pound increments whenever you swap the pin from one position to another.

The only way you can make an 5 pound adjustment in a set of PowerBlock weights is if you pull the pin out, take the block out, open the block, slide out the two adder weights, close the block, then put the block back in the weights, and then put the pin in again. See how many steps that process involves. If you are resting 60 seconds between sets, you will NOT be able to complete that process between sets.

Even at 90 seconds I just barely am able to complete that process for one dumbbell. If you need to make a 5 pound adjustment in two dumbells, you had better be doing some type of workout routine where you rest two or three minutes between sets, because that's how long it will take you to get your weights set up for 5 pound adjustments. On a TV Informercial it looks fast and easy, but in a workout when you only have 90 seconds between sets it is very annoying with the PowerBlocks!

With the Bowflex you just spin the weights and you have your 5 pound adjustment. It's just like at a gym when you go pick up a new set of dummbells, and it's just like how you modify the PowerBlock in 10 pound increments. The thing that separates Bowflex from PowerBlock is that Bowflex is so much better in the area of 5 pound and 2.5 pound adjustments in weight; Bowflex is so much faster.

STAY AWAY from PowerBlock and its arrogant employees that answer questions incorrectly in order to make a sale, and then do NOT honor warranites or guarantees!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›