5.0 out of 5 stars Some good choices made this one a winner!, November 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Firstly I should say that I absolutely love the music from Lord of the Rings so I was overjoyed to hear it here. It makes for a very rich and enjoyable audio experience to the game. Secondly the dialogue is out of the movie - with the actual voice actors so far (the lines they said) and that makes this game even better for LOTR fans.

In terms of the gameplay this is a very fun and engaging game. The different actions your characters can do are interesting - and they don't share things they can do so that makes it a little more puzzle like (getting the right person). This one is not like the Harry Potter Lego game where it tells you exactly what to do and where to do it. It has a more free range feel - although I would call it perhaps a limited free story. You have the capability to go and play different areas again - but it is not completely free roam. It's way better than Harry Potter - similar to the Lego Star Wars games although without a hub. You have a map to go back to areas - but they aren't quite as interactive as I've played in the console versions of Lego games in the past. I doubt that this game is as expansive as the console versions - and I'm o.k. with that since I enjoy playing the game with the music and the dialogue.

The controls are pretty tight but there are a few minor issues - at times the characters require precision that game doesn't allow which can be a bit frustrating. The other characters you do not control do very stupid things (like repeatedly throw themselves off of ledges and such) so while you are working on a platform piece it would not be unusual to hear one of the other members "dying". It can be irritating but is not a deal or game breaker. None of the actions required has posed too much trouble - so I would class the game as easy to moderate depending on your skills. I always struggle with platforming, preferring the puzzle environment, but nothing was too difficult. I think it would be fine for any age of about 7 on up.

Of course they left out pieces of the movie - I didn't expect differently but many of my favorite's are there and they've made clever use of some of the characters quirks such as one maze like keep from being seen game of get the mushroom for Merry. Those types of things make me smile. In terms of length I'm not playing for speed - it took me about 2 hours leisurely to get to Aragon joining the group and Weathertop. I did a lot of exploring though and had fun swapping characters out to see what they could do.

The graphics are quite beautiful on the 3DS - they aren't stretching capacity at all but they are nice. Clear and crisp, no pixelation or stretching on my 3DS XL.

Overall a winner. There have been none of the game killing glitches I encountered from other Lego Games like Batman- and this is a cut above the Harry Potter (with its sort of inane walk me through it like I'm a toddler gameplay). I don't know about the difference between the DS and the 3DS - although the 3D is nice in some places I don't turn it on all that much.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]