4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the classes I tried, November 13, 2012
Class on Demand allowed me to view some classes so I could post this review. You will want to go to the ClassOnDemand (dot net) web site to see their class offerings and make sure they offer something you want.

The three classes I "took" were CS6 Quick Start, CS 6, and Color Management. What I saw with each of these presentations was mostly good with some annoyances tossed in. Each class was delivered by a different instructor. In every case the instruction was clear and concise and the examples were relevant and easy to follow.

Once I signed up I got a login that got me to a page listing my classes. From there I could click on a class and get the list, sorted by section and topic, of the video lessons. The lessons each dealt with a specific topic and made it easy to "zoom in" on something specific.

Of the three I thought the CS6 class provided the greatest value. There was over six hours of video instruction and it is available on DVD. Each topic comes with examples and thanks to great production values they are easy to follow. Also, it's not that I mind streaming content but for me having a DVD means I can view the content in places where there isn't a WiFi signal and once I have it, it's mine to keep. With this class in particular, there is so much covered you *will* want to repeat sections and probably want to review sections from time to time.

The Color Management class presented a painstakingly complete description of what can be an arcane topic. Of the three classes this provides the greatest amount of "time on a topic." It approaches "beating it to death" and in the case of training I would prefer that to something being left out.

The CS6 QuickStart is just that, a 90-minute shotgun overview of a huge topic. As I was watching it I thought many times that if I didn't already understand Photoshop then it would allow me to come away with a working knowledge of everything but without an in-depth understanding. I was also annoyed that *each* of the 14 sections ended with the instructor telling me that if I wanted to know more I needed to buy the Peachpit CS6 QuickStart book.

There are a lot of classes in the ClassOnDemand catalog. From seeing these three my hunch is there is a wide variety of teaching and presentation styles among them. Unfortunately, at least at the time I wrote this review, you can't preview a class before signing up and you can't get a refund if you're not satisfied. (Perhaps that will change?) I thought the three classes I saw were certainly worth the cost.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]