3.0 out of 5 stars Note where the shoe was made., March 17, 2011
This review is from: Reebok Women's Princess Sneaker,Black,7 W (Apparel)
The Reebok Classic "Princess" in black is the only shoe I've worn for years. I have diabetes and these have proven to be the most comfortable and relaxed fit.

I recently ordered two pair. I put a pair on and left for work and thought I'd be permanently crippled by the time I got back home that night. I couldn't understand it. I'd never had this type of problem with this shoe.

I tried on the second pair and it was an entirely different experience. This is the shoe I know and love!

The only difference between the two shoes is the place of manufacture. The "bad" pair was made in Vietnam. Whether it's a missize, a defect, or something more systemic, I don't know, but I don't want another pair of shoes made in Vietnam!!

The "good" pair was made in Indonesia. I checked the old shoe I was replacing and it was made in China.

So, if you have a problem with this shoe, check the outside of the box or the tongue label and note where it was made. If problem shoes are coming from the same source, maybe something can be done about it at the company level.

So, even though I typically love this shoe, I'm only rating it a 3 because of this size problem. If I can't rely on a shoe being the same regardless of place of origin, then it's a gamble to buy it, and I don't have the time or patience to constantly return defective items.

Plus, for some reason, Amazon wants the item back BEFORE issuing a refund, which is not their usual way. If this is their policy with shoes, then I won't risk ordering shoes from Amazon again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2012 3:13:36 PM PDT
T. hilton says:
Received a Vietnam shoe and it was horrible, I returned it and will note if I reorder if it is made in Vietnam, no way. I have old Indonesia shoes and they are great. These VN shoes have no arch support and hard foot bed. Returned 7/2/2012

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 2:21:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 2:51:34 PM PDT
NewsView says:
My recently-ordered pair was made in Vietnam and contrary to what I expected wasn't the wide width indicated on the box. The toe box was small but the area beneath the tongue was wide only in that there was more material to allow your forefoot to overshoot the sole (but not your toes!).

In my box I found a sticker floating loose - not the label required by law sewn into the shoe - indicting that it is a manmade upper. Unlike the description here and elsewhere online, the lining is not "terry cloth" but nylon. With the exterior constructed of vinyl and the nylon interior, the shoe doesn't breath, wear or even smell the same. The laces are paper thin. There is no arch support whatsoever. The whole shoe feels and fits like a knockoff from a swap meet in the '80s!

These classic aerobic shoes should fall under the old axiom "If it's not broke, don't fix it". I don't know what Reebock is thinking. Keds hasn't messed with their butter-soft leather classic, whereas Reebock is going to drive off sales if they allow the quality to go noticeably downhill. But the question is, how many people will notice?

Please let me know if you (or anyone else reading here) have/has the same experience next time you order a new pair. If it's only the shoes made in Vietnam that are built so much more cheaply, I'm sure Reebock would be interested in learning what we buyers have found (and object to). It's hard to imagine but, on the other hand, these may very well *be* knockoffs - it's that or Reebock is testing the market to see if their longtime customers even miss the smell of new shoe leather, the terry lining and the supportive insole. If they get away with making 'em cheaper with few buyers taking notice, no doubt they WILL make them cheaper in order to increase the profit margin. I would suggest contacting Reebock. Amazon isn't the only one selling inferior-quality Reebocks; my pair shipped from Sears.

If anyone has received a pair recently, I would be very interested to learn if the box or the shoe itself indicates that it has a leather upper, and likewise if there is still inventory being sold with the arch supports and terry cloth lining. I am working off the theory that the old stock is true to the description whereas the new stock, Vietnam or otherwise, is going to be made differently than the oldie but goodie so many of us recall. If Reebock drives down sales of this shoe due to unwelcome design changes and cheaper materials, it is likely in time that this style will be discontinued entirely. That may or may not be the plan, but it could be the consequence. Mine are going back. :0(

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 9:50:25 PM PST
Littlebird says:
My pair, from Zappos, is from Cambodia, and fits perfectly, after I returned the first pair bought from Amazon which was from Indonesia which was so small I couldn't get my foot into it, although it was my usual size. The second pair I ordered in a D width although I have narrow feet. I had to pay for return shipping on the Amazon pair and now it's clear that these have to be bought in person.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 12:34:30 PM PST
Georgia says:
Cannot believe these shoes are synthetic now! I also have noticed that the shoes are not labeled whether they are leather or synthetic. Reebok gets a big "fail" for spoiling a great shoe.

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 5:51:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2013 6:03:58 AM PDT
Farah says:
I ordered a pair of these shoes for my elderly mother. She has worn these shoes for YEARS and they were always comfortable until.... she got this crappy pair that were made in Vietnam. Even though I ordered her normal size, the shoes were SO SMALL that she could barely get them on her feet. I wear the same size shoe so I tried to break them in for her but was in AGONY after wearing them for only 30 minutes. I checked Mom's old Princess sneakers (that fit her perfectly) and - LOW AND BEHOLD - they were made in China NOT Vietmam like the new "vice grip" pair. They were also made from leather. Believe me, I was dismayed to discover that these sneakers are no longer labeled as to whether or not they are made of leather. I honestly believe this new pair I got for my mother are made from some kind of stiff synthetic material NOT soft leather like the old Princess shoes but, since they are not labeled, there's no way to know. One this is for sure, they certainly don't feel like leather.
From now on I will go to a local sneaker store to get her Reebok Princess sneakers so I can read the label to find out WHERE they are made and if they are leather BEFORE I buy them. I will never order Reebok Princess sneakers from Amazon again. In fact, if they are no longer made from leather I don't think I'll ever buy these shoes again. Heaven only knows what kind of sneakers I can buy for my 86 year old mother who has serious issues with her feet. The OLD Reebok Princess shoes were the only thing she could wear. SHAME ON REEBOK FOR CHANGING A GREAT OLD STANDBY!!!!

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 11:46:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2013 11:48:33 PM PDT
Shelly says:
I live in Australia and have also bought Reebok Princess shoes forever. I no longer will buy them from online overseas sellers as I too found they now only sell the ones made in Vietnam and they are incorrect size/much smaller. I've gone back to buying from my local shoe store in Australia and only buying the ones made in Indonesia as even this store stocks both Vietnam and Indonesia made Reeboks and the difference is size is quite noticeable. I recently inquired of an Australian Online Store about their Reebok Princess Shoes as they were quite cheap but was told they were made in Vietnam so stayed well away from them!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 4:25:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2013 4:30:08 PM PDT
D. Krug says:
Reebok has changed their Princess design. Not genuine leather upper and no arch supports. Country of origin doesn't matter - Complain to Reebok!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 4:26:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 28, 2013 4:30:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 5:09:01 PM PDT
Georgia says:
I solved the problem by buying a pair of Easy Spirit Level I athletic shoes. Bye bye after about 6 pairs of Princess aerobics shoes.

Posted on May 24, 2013 3:01:19 PM PDT
Helen says:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed a big change in the Reebok Princess. I have been buying these for over 20 years. The most recent pair, bought about 6 months ago from Sears, was made in Vietnam. They are very uncomfortable to wear for more than an hour or so. They pinch my toes. They appear to be shorter in height in the toe. I'm not sure if they are leather or synthetic, because I don't have the box and can't find anything on the shoe itself. They feel different than my old comfortable pair which I've had for a couple years and which were made in Cambodia. The newer ones do have a terrycloth lining.
The funny thing is, I have an even older pair for yard work and they are comfortable and they were made in Vietnam! I've had those probably 4 years. It would appear that Reebok has changed them which is a HUGE mistake on their part. I won't buy them again if this is how they're going to be.
We all need to flood Reebok with complaints!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.7 out of 5 stars (61 customer reviews)

Out of stock